A few conceptual problems with moments

In summary, it seems like the questions are asking about the effects of applying a force on a beam with a fixed point at the center of gravity, and whether the force can cause both rotational and translational motion. The answers may depend on the specific conditions and the direction of the force.
mHo2

Homework Statement

My questions are as follows:
(1) If I apply a force (B) on a beam with a center of gravity at the middle(A), it will JUST cause a moment, correct?
(2) If I remove this fixed point(A), and no gravity or any other forces are present, will it still JUST cause a moment or will it cause a shift?
(3)Can a force be applied on this beam to cause a moment & a movement?

Homework Equations

kDGjZ.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I think,
(1) It will just cause a moment, not a downwards motion
(2) It will either just cause an acceleration or just a moment
(3) If I move the force along an angle, it will cause both

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on how you define 'moment'. From the way your questions are worded, it looks like you are defining 'moment' to be a rotational motion around the point A. (And that point A is moving with the beam, so point A is always at the centre of mass).

The questions are a bit vague. I'd say you've got question 1) correct, because if it is fixed at A, then the only motion must be rotation around A.

Question 2) could mean a lot of things. The initial change in motion is clear, but then after that, it depends what direction the force is in. Is it always downwards, or does its direction change so that it is perpendicular to the axis of the beam?

For question 3), you are right that both rotational and translational motion can be caused. But I'm not sure what you mean by 'move the force along an angle, it will cause both'. And why do you think it is necessary to alter the force to cause both types of motion?

Related to A few conceptual problems with moments

1. What is the concept of moments in science?

The concept of moments in science refers to the measurement of the turning effect of a force on an object. It is a mathematical concept that helps us understand how objects move and rotate in response to external forces.

2. Why are moments important in physics and engineering?

Moments are important in physics and engineering because they allow us to analyze and predict the behavior of objects under different forces. They also help us design structures and machines that can withstand and utilize forces in an efficient and safe manner.

3. What are some common misconceptions about moments?

One common misconception about moments is that they only apply to rotational motion. In reality, moments can also be used to describe linear motion. Another misconception is that moments are the same as torque, when in fact torque is a specific type of moment.

4. How are moments calculated?

Moments are calculated by multiplying the magnitude of a force by the perpendicular distance from the force to the axis of rotation. This distance is known as the lever arm and is an important factor in determining the moment of a force.

5. What are some real-world applications of moments?

Moments have many real-world applications, including in construction, engineering, and physics. They are used to design bridges, buildings, and other structures to withstand forces such as wind and earthquakes. In physics, moments are used to analyze the motion of objects, such as the rotation of planets and the movement of gears in machines.