Can water or alcohol be absorbed through the skin with osmosis?

In summary, DMSO is able to penetrate living tissues and associate with water, proteins, carbohydrates, nucleic acid, ionic substances, and other constituents, which allows it to be absorbed into the bloodstream.
Peter Pan
Can water or alcohol be absorbed through the skin with osmosis? More importantly can it be absorbed into the bloodstream? I know some chemicals can be, what characteristics allow those chemicals to do that?

Pan

Biology news on Phys.org
  • The unique capability of dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) to penetrate living tissues without causing significant damage is most probably related to its relatively polar nature, its capacity to accept hydrogen bonds, and its relatively small and compact structure. This combination of properties results in the ability of DMSO to associate with water, proteins, carbohydrates, nucleic acid, ionic substances, and other constituents of living systems.

I don't think that was his question, water doesn't penetrate our body very easily the skin isolates actually pretty well, otherwise you'd evaporate in a few hours. There is a skin condition in young born babies where they have abnormal skin, they dry out because of it and soon die.
I think it is small hydrophobic molecules that are actually able to penetrate the skin, just think of all the creams that people smear on their face. But also polar molecules like methanol, I'm not sure why, I guess it's an organic solvent and thus is able to go through.

Monique said:
I don't think that was his question
He wrote:

• absorbed into the bloodstream ... I know some chemicals can be, what characteristics allow those chemicals to do that?

so, if you sat in a tub of vodka there is no way to get drunk. I was trying to tell a buddy this, but he was positive you could. I was under the impression that if our body allowed things to seap into our body and blood stream that easy, we would be in trouble.

hitssquad said:
He wrote:

• absorbed into the bloodstream ... I know some chemicals can be, what characteristics allow those chemicals to do that?
Oh wait, I misread.. you said DMSO, but I thought you said DHMO as in H2O.. ha, I wasn't quite awake yet at the time.. :rolleyes:

1. Can water or alcohol be absorbed through the skin with osmosis?

Yes, both water and alcohol can be absorbed through the skin with osmosis, but at different rates depending on various factors such as concentration, temperature, and the condition of the skin.

2. How does osmosis work in the absorption of water and alcohol through the skin?

Osmosis is the movement of water molecules from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration. When water or alcohol is applied to the skin, it creates a concentration gradient, causing the molecules to move through the skin's semi-permeable membrane to reach equilibrium.

3. Is the absorption of water and alcohol through the skin harmful?

The absorption of water and alcohol through the skin is not harmful unless the substances are in high concentrations or the skin is damaged. In small amounts, the skin can safely absorb water and alcohol without any adverse effects.

4. Does skin thickness affect the absorption of water and alcohol through osmosis?

Yes, skin thickness does affect the absorption of water and alcohol through osmosis. Thinner skin, such as on the face or hands, allows for more efficient absorption, while thicker skin, such as on the feet, may have a slower absorption rate.

5. Can certain substances prevent or enhance the absorption of water and alcohol through the skin?

Yes, certain substances can affect the absorption of water and alcohol through the skin. For example, moisturizers and oils can create a barrier on the skin, slowing down the absorption process. On the other hand, chemical enhancers can increase the absorption rate by breaking down the skin's barriers.