A Falling Rod's Intersection Moving Faster Than Light?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether it is possible for the intersection point of a falling rod, making an angle θ with the x-axis, to move faster than light. The calculations suggest that it is possible, but there may be some subtleties related to relativity. It is also mentioned that the rod does not need to be falling at relativistic speeds, only at a shallow angle, for this to occur.
LoadedAnvils

Homework Statement

There is a rod falling at a speed v that makes an angle θ with the x-axis as it falls. Is it possible for the intersection point to move faster than light as it falls.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have done the geometrical calculations and I think yes, it does (which is fine because it's not a particle moving faster than light, only an image) but I am not sure if I am right.

Since it's moving downwards only, the only compression would be vertical and not horizontal so the speed would not decrease. Can anyone tell me if I am correct or not?

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume the rod is not rotating.
I don't think it even needs to be falling at relativistic speeds, it just needs a very shallow angle. But I'm no expert on relativity, so I may be missing some subtlety.

LoadedAnvils said:
Is it possible for the intersection point to move faster than light as it falls.
Sure. No problem.

Related to A Falling Rod's Intersection Moving Faster Than Light?

1. What is a falling rod's intersection moving faster than light?

A falling rod's intersection moving faster than light is a thought experiment in physics that explores the concept of relativity and the speed of light. It involves imagining a rod falling from a vertical position towards a horizontal surface, and the point of intersection between the rod and the surface moving at a speed faster than the speed of light.

2. Is it possible for a falling rod's intersection to move faster than light?

No, it is not possible for a falling rod's intersection to move faster than light. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the limit at which all things can travel. This means that no physical object, including the point of intersection between a falling rod and a surface, can exceed the speed of light.

3. What does this thought experiment demonstrate about the laws of physics?

This thought experiment demonstrates that the laws of physics, specifically the theory of relativity, do not allow for anything to travel faster than the speed of light. It also highlights the importance of understanding the limitations of our current scientific theories and the need for further exploration and discovery.

4. Are there any real-world applications of this thought experiment?

While this thought experiment may not have any direct real-world applications, it has been used in physics education to help students understand the principles of relativity and the limitations of the speed of light. It can also spark discussions and further research into the nature of space and time.

5. What other thought experiments are related to this concept?

Some other thought experiments related to this concept include the twin paradox, the ladder paradox, and the tachyonic antitelephone. These all explore the implications of relativity and the speed of light in different scenarios, and help to deepen our understanding of the laws of physics.