A disk with a Spring around it

In summary, we have a string wrapped around a uniform disk with a mass of 2.5 kg and a radius of 0.05 m. Attached to the disk are four low-mass rods with a radius of 0.09 m and a mass of 0.7 kg each. The object is initially at rest on a frictionless surface. When a constant force of 27 N is applied and the center of the disk has moved 0.038 m, a length of 0.020 m of string has unwound from the disk. The moment of inertia of the object is 0.003125 (calculated by 1/2*2.5*(0.05)^2 + 0.
lebprince

Homework Statement

A string is wrapped around a uniform disk of mass M = 2.5 kg and radius R = 0.05 m. (Recall that the moment of inertia of a uniform disk is (1/2)MR2.) Attached to the disk are four low-mass rods of radius b = 0.09 m, each with a small mass m = 0.7 kg at the end. The device is initially at rest on a nearly frictionless surface. Then you pull the string with a constant force F = 27 N. At the instant when the center of the disk has moved a distance d = 0.038 m, a length w = 0.020 m of string has unwound off the disk.

(a) At this instant, what is the speed of the center of the apparatus?
v = m/s

(b) At this instant, what is the angular speed of the apparatus?

(c) You keep pulling with constant force 27 N for an additional 0.035 s. Now what is the angular speed of the apparatus?

I have no idea how to approach the problem. any help please

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, a good place to start would be to determine the moment of inertia of the object.

ok so the moment of inertia of the object is 1/2Mr^2 so = 1/2*2.5*(0.05)^2 = 0.003125

lebprince said:
ok so the moment of inertia of the object is 1/2Mr^2 so = 1/2*2.5*(0.05)^2 = 0.003125
That we be the moment of inertia of the disk. What about the the small masses?

Hootenanny said:
That we be the moment of inertia of the disk. What about the the small masses?

ok since we have 4 masses ; m1r^2 + m2r^2 + m3r^2 + m4r^2

so 0.2268

lebprince said:
ok since we have 4 masses ; m1r^2 + m2r^2 + m3r^2 + m4r^2

so 0.2268
Correct. So the total moment of inertia is the sum of this and the moment of inertia of the disc.

What do you suppose the next step will be?

Hootenanny said:
Correct. So the total moment of inertia is the sum of this and the moment of inertia of the disc.

What do you suppose the next step will be?

umm am assuming i have to find the angular speed cause it would one one way to find V, but i know the Lrot = IW but i don't have Lrot

Consider the force and resultant accelerations of the body.

Hootenanny said:
Consider the force and resultant accelerations of the body.

so i can use F = mxa?

lebprince said:
so i can use F = mxa?
Yes, but you also need to consider the torque on the body.

Hootenanny said:
Yes, but you also need to consider the torque on the body.

ok..so i can find the torque on the body using r x Fnet, now is r the distance the center of the disk has moved? so 0.038 x 27 = 1.026? and F = mxa so a = f/m = 27/2.5 = 10.8

lebprince said:
ok..so i can find the torque on the body using r x Fnet, now is r the distance the center of the disk has moved? so 0.038 x 27 = 1.026?
No, r is the [perpendicular] distance from the point of action of the force causing the torque and the centre of rotation.

Hootenanny said:
No, r is the [perpendicular] distance from the point of action of the force causing the torque and the centre of rotation.

ok so i would use 0.05 x 27 = 1.35 and F = mxa so a = f/m = 27/2.5 = 10.8

Related to A disk with a Spring around it

1. What is a disk with a spring around it?

A disk with a spring around it is a physical system that consists of a flat circular disk with a coiled spring attached to its outer edge. The disk and spring are connected in a way that allows the disk to rotate around the spring's central axis.

2. What is the purpose of a disk with a spring around it?

The purpose of a disk with a spring around it is to study the behavior of a simple harmonic oscillator. The spring provides a restoring force that causes the disk to oscillate back and forth, making it an ideal system for studying oscillatory motion.

3. How does a disk with a spring around it work?

The disk with a spring around it works by converting potential energy stored in the spring into kinetic energy of the disk as it oscillates back and forth. The spring's stiffness and the mass of the disk determine the frequency and amplitude of the oscillations.

4. What factors affect the behavior of a disk with a spring around it?

The behavior of a disk with a spring around it is affected by various factors, including the spring's stiffness, the mass of the disk, and the initial conditions of the system. The damping force and external forces can also influence its behavior.

5. How is a disk with a spring around it relevant in real-world applications?

A disk with a spring around it has several real-world applications, such as in shock absorbers, tuning forks, and musical instruments. It is also used in engineering and physics to model the behavior of systems with oscillatory motion.