A differential geometry question

In summary, the conversation discusses how the knowledge of the normal vector function n = n(s) of a unit-speed curve, with non-zero torsion everywhere, can be used to determine the curvature and torsion of the curve. The participants also mention their understanding of curvature and torsion as functions of the tangent vector and the normal vector, and their confusion about how to use the knowledge of only the normal vector function to compute the curvature and torsion. One participant suggests using Frenet-Serre frames to approach the problem.
binglee
Show that the knowledge of the vector function n = n(s) (normal vector) of a unit-speed
curve
, with non-zero torsion everywhere, determines the curvature and the torsion
don't have any clues about what i am supposed to prove!~

Physics news on Phys.org
You are supposed to compute the curvature and torsion of a curve from its normal vector function. You probably defined curvature and torsion as a function of the tangent vector.

ya, we defined curvature = ||r''||=||t'||. It is a function of t, while we defined torsion = -n.b' it is not a function of t. I don't know if my understanding about torsion is right. Since we defined n as a function of t and b as a function of t so is t. Then in this question i just need to go through the same process wrt n??right? thank you for your helping

bump can anybody help me?!~~~~
I thought about it for a while. what does it mean by the knowledge of n?
if we know t n b, we can determine the curvature and the torsion, but here we only know n??
please!~ help me!~~

binglee:

Have you tried working with Frenet-Serre frames.?

Related to A differential geometry question

What is differential geometry?

Differential geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of curves and surfaces in multidimensional spaces. It combines concepts from calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations to analyze the geometric structures of these objects.

What are some applications of differential geometry?

Differential geometry has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to model and analyze physical systems like the motion of planets, the behavior of fluids, and the shape of space-time in general relativity. It also has practical applications in computer-aided design, robotics, and computer vision.

What is a differential manifold?

A differential manifold is a mathematical space that locally resembles Euclidean space, but may have a more complex global structure. It is a fundamental concept in differential geometry and is used to describe the geometric properties of curves and surfaces in a coordinate-independent way.

What is meant by curvature in differential geometry?

In differential geometry, curvature refers to the amount of bending or deviation from a straight line or flat surface. It is a measure of how much a space or curve differs from being flat. Curvature is an important concept in understanding the geometry of objects and is used to describe the shape, size, and behavior of curves and surfaces.

How is differential geometry related to other branches of mathematics?

Differential geometry has connections to many other areas of mathematics, including topology, algebraic geometry, and differential equations. It is also closely related to physics, as many physical phenomena can be described using geometric concepts and techniques from differential geometry.