A dielectric hemisphere

In summary: The field on the surface of the sphere is just the electrostatic field due to the dielectric material, and the charge on the sphere is just the charge on the surface of the dielectric.
sentinel

Homework Statement

we put a dielectric hemishphere with radius (a) and dielectric coeeficient(k) on an infinite conducting plane.the system(hemsiphere and the plane) are in a constant electric field E0.
find the surface charge distrubution on the plane as a function of (r).
and explain what happens?

Homework Equations

E in =1/k E (in a dielectric E weakens)
maxwell equations
e0E=surface charge(charge per area)

The Attempt at a Solution

for the case k=1 there won't be any charge on the plane(I think)
also I tried to think what actually happens?will there be any charge inside the hemisphere?
and these are (I think) the solutions:
}{r})^2&space;\;&space;\;&space;\;&space;\;&space;r&space;\geq&space;a&space;\end{matrix}\right..gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
anyone??

sentinel said:

Homework Statement

we put a dielectric hemisphere with radius (a) and dielectric coefficient(k) on an infinite conducting plane.the system(hemisphere and the plane) are in a constant electric field E0.
find the surface charge distribution on the plane as a function of (r).
and explain what happens?
What coordinate is r ?

Homework Equations

E in =1/k E (in a dielectric E weakens)
Maxwell's equations
e0E=surface charge(charge per area)

There is a charge on the plane, if the electric field is perpendicular to the plane.

Use Gauss's Law.

also I tried to think what actually happens?will there be any charge inside the hemisphere?
a}{r})^2&space;\;&space;\;&space;\;&space;\;&space;r&space;\geq&space;a&space;\end{matrix}\right.gif

sentinel said:

a}{r})^2&space;\;&space;\;&space;\;&space;\;&space;r&space;\geq&space;a&space;\end{matrix}\right.gif

Shouldn't k = 1 correspond to a vacuum (i.e., no hemisphere present)? Then the field should just equal Eo everywhere.

I don't know your background, but you can solve this problem as a boundary value problem for the electric potential. Then use the potential to get the field at the surface of the plane, and hence the charge density.

You can also relate this problem to the problem of a dielectric sphere placed in an external uniform field with no conducting plane.

Your solution is correct for the case when k=1, as there will be no charge on the plane due to the presence of the dielectric hemisphere. This is because the electric field inside the dielectric is weaker than the external field E0, and therefore there is no need for any surface charge on the plane to maintain the electric field.

However, for the case when k≠1, there will be a surface charge density on the plane due to the presence of the dielectric hemisphere. This is because the electric field inside the dielectric is weaker than the external field E0, and therefore there is a need for a surface charge on the plane to maintain the electric field.

To find the surface charge distribution, we can use the boundary conditions at the interface between the dielectric and the conducting plane. These boundary conditions state that the tangential component of the electric field must be continuous across the interface, and the normal component of the electric displacement must be continuous across the interface. Using these boundary conditions, we can find an expression for the surface charge density on the plane as a function of (r).

What happens in this system is that the presence of the dielectric hemisphere modifies the electric field in the region around it. This can be seen by comparing the electric field inside the dielectric (E in = E0/k) to the electric field outside the dielectric (E out = E0). The electric field is weaker inside the dielectric, and this leads to a redistribution of charge on the plane to maintain the electric field. This redistribution of charge results in a non-uniform surface charge distribution on the plane, with a higher charge density near the edges of the hemisphere. This phenomenon is known as polarization, where the presence of a dielectric material in an electric field results in the formation of a dipole moment in the material.

Related to A dielectric hemisphere

1. What is a dielectric hemisphere?

A dielectric hemisphere is a material that is partially or completely made up of non-conducting substances, such as plastic or glass. It is typically in the shape of a half-sphere and is used in various scientific and industrial applications.

2. How does a dielectric hemisphere work?

A dielectric hemisphere works by acting as an insulator between two conductive materials. It has a high resistance to the flow of electricity, allowing it to block or control the flow of electric charge and create an electric field.

3. What are some common uses of a dielectric hemisphere?

Dielectric hemispheres have a wide range of applications, including in capacitors, antennas, and sensors. They are also used in optics, such as in lenses and mirrors, and in medical devices like pacemakers and MRI machines.

4. How are dielectric hemispheres different from other types of dielectrics?

Dielectric hemispheres are unique in their shape, which allows for specific applications such as focusing light or creating a directional electric field. They also have a larger surface area compared to other dielectric shapes, which can affect their dielectric strength and capacitance.

5. What are some properties of a dielectric hemisphere?

Some key properties of a dielectric hemisphere include its dielectric constant, which determines its ability to store electrical energy, and its dielectric strength, which is the maximum electric field it can withstand before breaking down. Other properties include its surface charge distribution and its ability to polarize in the presence of an electric field.