Fourth Dimension: Visited by Aliens?

• Thread starter Andy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dimension
In summary, the conversation delved into the concept of dimensions, with the discussion focusing on the fourth dimension and its possible existence. The participants also questioned the relationship between time and the fourth dimension, and whether there are higher dimensions beyond the fourth. The conversation ended with a reflection on the difficulty of explaining complex concepts without a full understanding and the importance of leaving it to the experts.
Andy
What would you do if you were visited by an alien from the fourth dimension?

So my question is (and this is aimed at cmdrsponge so please reply after he has thank you) What is the fourth dimension? Where is the Fourth dimension? Are the Fourth dimensional aliens going to hunt me down and kill me for asking to many questions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, I posted that "what would you do if..." question. But I'll let cmdr_sponge answer first.

Cheers

now i don't pretend to be an expert, but the way i see it is this.

i our everyday lives we experience 3 dimensions,

1) the first dimension ------ (eg. a straight line, length only)
2) the second dimension -------
| |(eg. a square, length and width)
| |
| |
-------
3) and the third dimension (eg. a cube, length width and bredth[which i can't be bothered to draw, but if u don't kno wat a cube loks like wat r u doing here?])

If u look at these shapes u can see that if u were a sqaure (2nd dimension) u couldn't possibly exist on the line (the first dimension) as there would be no where to put ure sides. the same goes for a cube on a square.

So only 1 dimensional sahpes can exist on 2d shapes. however 1d and 2d shapes can fit onto a 3d shape. this is where it starts getting complicated.

it follows that as we are 3d shapes we must be in at least 3d space.

this is where my understanding fails. there is a reason why 3d shapes cannot exist in 3d space and i think it has something to do with what it/you would observe, but I am not sure.

but the result of the reason that i can't remember is that we at LEAST in 4 dimensional space.

so i answer to ure question u don't have to worry about the 4th demensional aliens comin to get you cus u wouldn't be able to see them, and they wouldn't be able to interact with you.

now here's some questions for ppl who no something about it:

1)is the forth dimension time?
2)if it is why isn't time measured in meters or distance measured in seconds?
3)are there higher dimensions than the 4th?
4)if there are, why are they there?
5)what is the reason that i can't remember (to do with observation)?
6)am i talkin bull****?

least least

there was meant to be a picture of a square but it looks weird now and doesn't give my answer ne credablilty (not that it had ne)

Originally posted by cmdr_sponge
now here's some questions for ppl who no something about it:

1)is the forth dimension time?

That depends. The numbering of the dimensions is just something done so that they can be conveniently referred to. Since string theory postulates the existence of 10 spatial dimensions, time would be the 11th dimension - if string theory is proven.

2)if it is why isn't time measured in meters or distance measured in seconds?

Because they (temporal and spatial dimensions) are of a qualitatively different order. They are alike in many ways, but they differ in that the on line of time intersects with every point of space (don't ask me how).

3)are there higher dimensions than the 4th?

Possibly. Personally, I really like string theory, so I think there are dimensions higher than the fourth.

4)if there are, why are they there?

"Why" questions are not answered in Science. They are there for the same "reason" that the three we are used to are there. Just because (or whatever other Philosophical reason you wish to come up with).

5)what is the reason that i can't remember (to do with observation)?

I don't understand this question?

6)am i talkin bull****?

Possibly.

thank you mentat, u have furthered my understanding and deepened my resolve to kno more. plus i have also learned not to try and explain things that i don't understand, leave it to the pros.

i have also learned not to try and explain things that i don't understand, leave it to the pros.

I learned that a long time ago, that's why i only post in the General and political forums, and very occasionally in the Religion Forum, but only when drunk!

Originally posted by cmdr_sponge
thank you mentat, u have furthered my understanding and deepened my resolve to kno more. plus i have also learned not to try and explain things that i don't understand, leave it to the pros.

Not really a pro, just an interested student, but thanks.

was bein a bit sarcastic in my earlier reply (there really needs to be some sort of simly for that) but, still cheers for the reply it did help.

1. What is the fourth dimension?

The fourth dimension is a theoretical concept that suggests there could be a fourth coordinate in addition to the three dimensions of length, width, and height that we experience in our everyday lives. It is often referred to as the dimension of time and is a fundamental aspect of Einstein's theory of relativity.

2. Are there any scientific proofs of the existence of the fourth dimension?

While there is no direct scientific proof of the existence of the fourth dimension, many mathematical and physical theories, such as string theory and quantum mechanics, rely on the notion of multiple dimensions. Some scientists also argue that certain phenomena, such as gravitational waves, can only be explained by considering the fourth dimension.

3. Have aliens visited us from the fourth dimension?

There is no scientific evidence to support the claim that aliens have visited us from the fourth dimension. While it is possible that there may be intelligent life forms that exist in higher dimensions, there is currently no way for us to interact or communicate with them.

4. Can we travel to the fourth dimension?

According to current scientific understanding, it is not possible for humans to physically travel to the fourth dimension. Our bodies and technology are limited to moving within the three dimensions of space and one dimension of time. However, some theories suggest that it may be possible for objects or particles to exist or move in multiple dimensions simultaneously.

5. How does the fourth dimension relate to time travel?

The fourth dimension, which is often considered to be the dimension of time, is closely related to the concept of time travel. Some theories propose that by manipulating the fourth dimension, it may be possible to travel through time. However, this remains a topic of much debate and is not currently supported by any scientific evidence.