A couple of simple magnetization problems

In summary, there are two problems being merged into one due to conflicting solutions. The first problem involves a long cylinder with a constant magnetization in the z direction, and the second problem involves drilling a small hole through the cylinder. Using equations such as the curl of the magnetization and the surface current, the B-field is found to be zero outside and μ0M inside, while the H-field is zero everywhere. However, in the second problem, the H and B fields are not zero everywhere due to a current in the central surface going in the opposite direction as the outer current. It was initially thought that the fields should be zero everywhere, but this is not the case since the cylinder is infinitely wide, not infinitely long.
diegzumillo

Homework Statement

These are actually two problems that I'm merging into one because each of them seem to have conflicting solutions, and I want to clear this up.

Consider a long cylinder (very long) extending in the z direction with a constant magnetization ##\vec{M}=M\hat{z}##. What are the H and B fields everywhere? Now drill a very small hole through it in the z direction, what are the H and B fields everywhere now?

Homework Equations

##\vec{j}=\nabla \times \vec{M}##
##\vec{K}=\vec{M}\times \hat{n}##
There are more, of course, but let me know if something crucial is missing.

The Attempt at a Solution

Without hole: there is no current density inside (curl of that constant magnetization is zero) but we do have surface current ##\vec{K}=M\hat{\phi}## because the walls are perpendicular to M. So with that it's easy to calculate B (it's zero outside and ##\mu_0 M## inside, like a solenoid). And to find H is also simple, using ##\vec{H}=\vec{B}/\mu_0-\vec{M}## we see that H is zero everywhere, inside and out.

Now with the drilled hole for some reason we have H and B fields not zero everywhere. Shouldn't it be the at least similar? Sure, there's a current in the central surface going in opposite direction as the outer current, but I woud still expect that outside the whole thing the fields to be zero. What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see anything wrong with your reasoning: the only changes should be the inner surface current and B-field within the cavity created.
Where did you get that there should be non-zero fields outside? (in the "very long" cylinder approximation, of course)

Oh! I feel dumb. I misread the second problem statement. It's not infinitely long, it's infinitely wide. That changes everything (we could really use a facepalm 'smiey')

Related to A couple of simple magnetization problems

1. What is magnetization?

Magnetization is the process of aligning the magnetic moments of a material in a specific direction, resulting in a magnetic field.

2. How does temperature affect magnetization?

As temperature increases, the thermal energy of the particles in a material also increases, causing them to vibrate more and disrupt the alignment of magnetic moments. This can decrease the overall magnetization of the material.

3. What factors affect the strength of magnetization?

The strength of magnetization depends on the type of material, the strength of the external magnetic field, and the temperature. Some materials, like iron and nickel, are naturally more magnetized than others.

4. How is magnetization measured?

Magnetization is typically measured using a magnetometer, which measures the strength and direction of a magnetic field. The results are often displayed as a magnetization curve, showing the relationship between the applied magnetic field and the resulting magnetization.

5. What are some real-life applications of magnetization?

Magnetization has many practical applications, such as in compasses, motors, and generators. It is also used in data storage, such as in hard drives, and in medical imaging devices like MRI machines.