A couple of quick questions on screening / lattice deformation

In summary, introducing positive dopants to a material can result in a build up of negative charge around them, which can increase the conductivity of the material by creating additional pathways for electrons to travel. If the dopant has smaller atoms, it can also introduce defects into the lattice that can affect the phonons and ultimately the thermal conductivity and resistivity of the material.
rwooduk
If a material is doped (introducing positive dopants to the lattice) there will be a build up of negative cahrge around them, screening. I have a couple of questions that seem obvious but I'm still a little unsure:

1) how would more screening effect resistivity? I would assume that a build up of negative charge would hinder conduction but the impression I'm getting from the notes is that it increases conductivity??

2) (possibly unrelated to screening) if say the dopant has smaller atoms and introduced defects into the lattice please could someone tell me how that would effect the phonons? if that makes sense? how would a lattice deformation effect resistivity / conductivity.

I have all the formulas for calculations but I'm trying to visualise these effects a little more. Any help would really be welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
1) The build up of negative charge around a dopant will usually increase the conductivity of the material by creating additional pathways for electrons to travel. This is because the extra negative charge reduces the repulsive forces between electrons, making it easier for them to move through the material. 2) If the dopant has smaller atoms, this will introduce defects into the lattice which will affect the phonons. Phonons are quanta of vibrational energy that travel through the lattice and are responsible for the thermal properties of the material. A lattice deformation due to the dopant will change the phonon properties, resulting in changes to the thermal conductivity of the material. This in turn can affect the resistivity of the material, depending on the nature of the defect and how it interacts with the electrons.

Related to A couple of quick questions on screening / lattice deformation

1. What is screening in lattice deformation?

Screening in lattice deformation refers to the process of removing unwanted or irrelevant data points from a dataset in order to focus on the most significant or important information. This is often done in scientific research to reduce noise and improve the accuracy of results.

2. How is screening used in scientific experiments?

In scientific experiments, screening is used to identify and eliminate potential confounding variables that could affect the results. This helps to ensure that the data collected is more reliable and can be used to draw accurate conclusions.

3. What is the difference between screening and filtering?

Screening and filtering are often used interchangeably, but there is a subtle difference between the two. Screening is usually done at the beginning of an experiment to select the most relevant data points, while filtering is typically done after data collection to remove outliers or erroneous data.

4. What are the benefits of using screening in scientific research?

Using screening in scientific research can lead to more accurate and reliable results. It can also save time and resources by narrowing down the focus of the experiment and reducing the amount of data that needs to be analyzed.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using screening in scientific research?

One potential drawback of using screening in scientific research is that it can lead to biased or incomplete results if not done carefully. Additionally, the criteria used for screening may vary among researchers, which could affect the reproducibility of the results.