A couple of questions about Multiverse and Q. Mechanics.

In summary: The theory of parallel universes would mean that all possible events have occurred in the past.In summary, there are different theories about the number of universes that exist, with some suggesting an infinite amount and others proposing a finite amount. However, there is currently no evidence for more than one universe. The many-worlds interpretation suggests that there could be branching and new universes created with each decision, but it is impossible to determine a specific number for this. In regards to quantum mechanics, it is theoretically possible for all the atoms in a person's body to spontaneously move one meter to the right due to quantum tunneling.
2sin54
1) I have read that theory suggests infinite amount of universes and I have also read that the theory suggests a finite amount of universes. Which is the right one? If for every decision new universes are born, the number should be finite, right?

2) In quantum mechanical sense, is it correct to say that there is a probability (negligible of course) that all the atoms that I am made of could spontaneously travel one meter to my right (quantum tunneling?)?

Physics news on Phys.org
1) I have read that theory suggests infinite amount of universes and I have also read that the theory suggests a finite amount of universes.
Which theory?

Which is the right one?
There are no "right" theories, just successful theories and wrong theories.

If for every decision new universes are born, the number should be finite, right?
You refer to the many-worlds interpretation?
It is pointless to give a specific number for that, as branching occurs all the time. "Finite" should be fine, however.

2) In quantum mechanical sense, is it correct to say that there is a probability (negligible of course) that all the atoms that I am made of could spontaneously travel one meter to my right (quantum tunneling?)?
Right.

Gytax said:
1) I have read that theory suggests infinite amount of universes and I have also read that the theory suggests a finite amount of universes. Which is the right one? If for every decision new universes are born, the number should be finite, right?

There is at present absolutely ZERO evidence for more than exactly ONE universe. There MAY be others but right now that's pure speculation / interpretation.

Related to A couple of questions about Multiverse and Q. Mechanics.

1. What is the Multiverse theory?

The Multiverse theory is a scientific concept that suggests the existence of multiple universes or alternate realities beyond our own. It proposes that there may be an infinite number of parallel universes, each with its own set of physical laws and characteristics.

2. How does the Multiverse theory relate to Quantum Mechanics?

The Multiverse theory is closely related to the principles of Quantum Mechanics, specifically the concept of superposition and the many-worlds interpretation. It suggests that every possible outcome of a quantum event actually occurs in a different universe, leading to the existence of multiple universes.

3. Is there any evidence for the existence of the Multiverse?

Currently, there is no concrete evidence for the existence of the Multiverse. The theory is still highly debated and remains a topic of ongoing research and exploration in the scientific community.

4. Can the Multiverse theory be proven?

As of now, the Multiverse theory cannot be proven due to the limitations of our technology and understanding of the universe. It is a theoretical concept that is still being explored and studied by scientists.

5. How could the existence of a Multiverse impact our understanding of the universe?

If the Multiverse theory is proven to be true, it would greatly impact our understanding of the universe and our place within it. It would challenge our current understanding of reality and the laws of physics, and could potentially open up new avenues for scientific discovery and advancement.