A couple of basic physics problems

In summary, the conversation discusses two basic physics problems: one involving a window washer pulling herself up with a pulley, and the other involving two masses suspended by a pulley. The first problem requires the window washer to exert a force greater than her weight to lift herself at a constant speed, while the second problem involves finding the tension in the rope suspending the pulley from the ceiling.
ucsbjosh
a couple of "basic" physics problems

i am stuck on a couple of my homework problems for my "basic" physics class. any help with either of them would be greatly appreciated.

1. a window washer pulls herself up in a bucket-pulley apparatus (single massless, frictionless pulley). how hard must she pull downward (on the rope end) to raise herself slowly at constant speed? the mass of the person and the bucket is 67 kg.

i am not sure how to get started on this problem, i think that the bucket is being pulled down by gravity with the force mg, and that to slowly raise herself at a constant speed she would need to pull with slightly more force than that, but i can't seem to get the right answer.

2. the two masses, m1 = 2.10 kg and m2 = 3.20 kg shown in the figure below, are each initially h1 = 1.56 m above the ground, and the massless, frictionless pulley is fixed h2 = 4.84 m above the ground. suppose the pulley is suspended by a cord to the ceiling. what is the tension in this cord after the mass is released and before it hits the ground? (i have attached the figure)

when i try to work this problem, i understand that the masses are both accelerating at the same rate, with m1 going up (y+) and m2 going down (y-) and that while they are in this state, they put a force downward on the pulley, which in turn puts a tension into the rope. i am not sure how to find the tension in that rope that is suspending the pulley from the ceiling.

again, any help with either of these problems would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

josh

Attachments

• prob2 figure.JPG
    prob2 figure.JPG
    8 KB · Views: 434
Physics news on Phys.org
1. The window washer is also standing on the platform. The weight she needs to lift (and so the force she needs to exert) is the sum of the weights of herself and the bucket.

2. Yes.The heavier weight will go down, pulling the lighter weight upward. The force necessary to do that (the difference between between the weights) is the force the rope is exerting on the pully and, since the pully is not moving, the force the pully is exerting on the rope: that is the tension in the rope.

For the first problem, you are correct in thinking that the bucket is being pulled down by the force of gravity, which is equal to the mass (67 kg) multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). In order for the person to raise themselves at a constant speed, they would need to exert a force equal to the weight of the bucket plus themselves, or 67 kg x 9.8 m/s^2 = 656.6 N. This would be the minimum force required to raise themselves at a constant speed, but they may need to pull with slightly more force due to friction in the pulley system.

For the second problem, you can use Newton's second law (F=ma) to find the acceleration of the masses. Since they are connected by a rope, they will have the same acceleration. Once you have the acceleration, you can use the equations of motion (d=vi*t+1/2at^2) to find the time it takes for the masses to hit the ground. Then, using the equation for tension in a rope (T=ma), you can find the tension in the rope before the mass hits the ground.

Remember to keep track of the direction of the forces and accelerations, as they will affect the signs in your calculations. It may also be helpful to draw a free-body diagram for each mass to visualize the forces acting on them. Good luck with your homework!

Related to A couple of basic physics problems

1. What is the difference between distance and displacement?

Distance refers to the total length traveled by an object, while displacement refers to the straight-line distance between an object's starting and ending position. Distance is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude, while displacement is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How does an object's mass affect its acceleration?

An object's mass is directly proportional to its acceleration, meaning that the greater the mass, the lower the acceleration. This is described by Newton's second law of motion, which states that the force applied to an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration (F=ma). Therefore, a larger mass requires a larger force to achieve the same acceleration as a smaller mass.

3. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed refers to the rate at which an object is moving, while velocity refers to the speed and direction of an object's motion. Speed is a scalar quantity, while velocity is a vector quantity. For example, a car traveling at a constant speed of 60 miles per hour in a straight line has a speed of 60 mph, but its velocity is 60 mph east or west depending on its direction of motion.

4. How does an object's shape affect its center of mass?

An object's center of mass is the point at which all of its mass can be considered to be concentrated. The shape of an object affects its center of mass, as it determines how the mass is distributed. For example, a symmetrical object will have its center of mass at its geometric center, while an asymmetrical object will have its center of mass shifted towards the heavier side.

5. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents an object from moving when a force is applied to it. It is greater than kinetic friction, which is the force that acts on an object in motion. This means that it requires more force to overcome static friction and start an object in motion, but once the object is in motion, the force of kinetic friction is lower.