When you double your distance from a sound source

In summary, the conversation discussed a missed test question about the distance of a cliff based on the time it takes to hear an echo and the temperature. The correct answer was found using the formula d = t*s, and the correct answer was a)662 m. They also discussed the intensity of sound and how it decreases when the distance is doubled, with the correct answer being 1/4.
Dx
This can't be right.

I missed this test question here.

You shout at a cliff and hear the echo in 4s. the temp is 0 degrees C. How far away is the cliff?

I think the answers were a)662 b) 680 c) 1320 d)1760

I chose c because

t=d/s or d=t*s

now, i substitued d = 4s * 331m/s = 1324

why did i miss this? I am pretty sure the formula and math is
right?

also one more question

when you double your distance from a sound source radiating in all directoins. what happens to the intensity of the sound? is reduces to 1/2 its orginal value.

Thats what i said unless its 1/4. what is the right answer.

Dx :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
a)
You computed:
d = 4s * 331m/s = 1324

That was exactly correct -- for the distance from you to the cliff and back. D is twice the distance from you to the cliff. So, the correct answer is a)662 m.

b)
Sound intensity varies inversely with the square of the distance, so the correct answer to the second question was 1/4.

thanks gnome!

1. What happens to the loudness of a sound when you double your distance from the source?

As you double your distance from a sound source, the loudness of the sound decreases by 6 decibels. This is due to the inverse square law, which states that the intensity of sound decreases proportionally to the square of the distance from the source.

2. Does the pitch of a sound change when you double your distance from the source?

No, the pitch of a sound does not change when you double your distance from the source. The pitch is determined by the frequency of the sound waves, which remains constant regardless of the distance from the source.

3. Is there a limit to how far you can hear a sound?

Yes, there is a limit to how far you can hear a sound. This is known as the audible horizon and varies depending on factors such as the loudness and frequency of the sound, as well as the environment it is traveling through.

4. How does the medium through which sound travels affect its propagation when you double the distance from the source?

The medium through which sound travels can affect its propagation when you double the distance from the source. In air, sound waves spread out spherically, while in water or other dense mediums, sound waves can travel much farther without losing intensity.

5. Can you use the inverse square law to calculate the intensity of sound at a specific distance from the source?

Yes, you can use the inverse square law to calculate the intensity of sound at a specific distance from the source. The formula is I = I0 / (4πr2), where I is the intensity at the specified distance, I0 is the initial intensity at the source, and r is the distance from the source.