Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

A conjecture on a Generalized Barnes' function - can anyone help?

DreamWeaver

Sep 16, 2013
This is NOT a tutorial, so any and all contributions are very much welcome... :D

I've recently been working on the Barnes' function - see tutorial in Math Notes board - and been trying to generalize some of my results to higher order Barnes' functions (intimately connected with the Multiple Gamma functions, \(\displaystyle \Gamma_n(z)\) ). If we define the Generalized Barnes' function

by

\(\displaystyle G_1(z) = \frac{1}{\Gamma(z)}\)

\(\displaystyle G_2(z) = \frac{1}{\Gamma_2(z)} = G(z) \quad [ \text{the regular Barnes function} ]\)

\(\displaystyle G_3(z) = \frac{1}{\Gamma_3(z)}\)

etc, and

\(\displaystyle G_n(1) = 1\)

\(\displaystyle G_{n+1}(1+z)=G_n(z) G_{n+1}(z)\)

My main aim has been to find an infinite product representation for the Triple Barnes' Function, \(\displaystyle G_3(1+z)\), and even higher order Multiple Barnes' functions. The following results are known:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{\Gamma(z)}=ze^{\gamma z}\prod_{k=1}^{\infty} \left(1+\frac{z}{k} \right) e^{-z/k}\)

\(\displaystyle \Rightarrow\)

\(\displaystyle G_1(1+z)=\frac{1}{\Gamma(1+z)} =\frac{1}{z\Gamma(z)}= e^{\gamma z}\prod_{k=1}^{\infty} \left(1+\frac{z}{k} \right) e^{-z/k}\)

and

\(\displaystyle G_2(1+z)=G(1+z) = \)

\(\displaystyle (2\pi)^{z/2} \text{exp}\left(- \frac{z+z^2(1+\gamma )}{2} \right) \prod_{k=1}^{\infty} \left(1+\frac{z}{k} \right)^k \text{exp} \left(\frac{z^2}{2k}-z \right)\)

In the Barnes' function tutorial, I presented the following Taylor series

\(\displaystyle \log \Gamma(1+z)=-\gamma z +\sum_{k=2}^{\infty} (-1)^k \frac{\zeta(k)}{k}z^k \quad \Rightarrow\)

\(\displaystyle \log G_1(1+z)=\gamma z - \sum_{k=2}^{\infty} (-1)^k \frac{\zeta(k)}{k}z^k \)

Similarly

\(\displaystyle \log G_2(1+z)=\log G(1+z)= \frac{z}{2}\log(2\pi) - \left( \frac{z+z^2(1+\gamma )}{2} \right) + \sum_{k=2}^{\infty} (-1)^k \frac{\zeta(k)}{k+1}z^{k+1} \)

For various different reasons, this has led me to conjecture a family of polynomials, which I've come to call the Complementary Barnes' Function Polynomials (Barnes' Polynomials for short),

\(\displaystyle \gamma_m(z) = \text{Polynomial of degree at most} \, m\)

The central idea is this: in light of the previous two series, I've been lead to consider:

The Barnes' Polynomial Conjecture:

\(\displaystyle \log G_m(1+z)= \gamma_m(z) +(-1)^m \sum_{k=2}^{\infty} (-1)^k \frac{\zeta(k)}{k+m-1}z^{k+m-1}\)

Or, equivalently, by exponentiating both sides

\(\displaystyle G_m(1+z)= \text{exp} (\gamma_m(z)) \text{exp} \Bigg\{ (-1)^m \sum_{k=2}^{\infty} (-1)^k \frac{\zeta(k)}{k+m-1}z^{k+m-1} \Bigg\}\)

Looking at the Taylor series results for \(\displaystyle G_1(1+z)\) and \(\displaystyle G_2(1+z)\) above, this implies that

\(\displaystyle \gamma_1(z)= \gamma z\)

\(\displaystyle \gamma_2(z)= \frac{z}{2}\log(2\pi) - \left( \frac{z+z^2(1+\gamma )}{2} \right)\)

These are consistent with the idea that

\(\displaystyle G_m(1+z)= \text{exp} (\gamma_m(z)) \text{exp} \Bigg\{ (-1)^m \sum_{k=2}^{\infty} (-1)^k \frac{\zeta(k)}{k+m-1}z^{k+m-1} \Bigg\}\)

Since this implies that

\(\displaystyle G_1(1+z)=e^{\gamma z} \text{exp} \Bigg\{ - \sum_{k=2}^{\infty} (-1)^k \frac{\zeta(k)}{k}z^k \Bigg\}\)

and

\(\displaystyle G_2(1+z)=\)

\(\displaystyle \text{exp} \left(\frac{z}{2}\log 2\pi- \frac{z+z^2(1+\gamma )}{2} \right) \Bigg\{ -
\sum_{k=2}^{\infty} (-1)^k \frac{\zeta(k)}{k+1}z^{k+1} \Bigg\}\)

Conversely,

\(\displaystyle G_1(1+z)= e^{\gamma z}\prod_{k=1}^{\infty} \left(1+\frac{z}{k} \right) e^{-z/k} = \)

\(\displaystyle \text{exp}(\gamma_1(z)) \prod_{k=1}^{\infty} \left(1+\frac{z}{k} \right) e^{-z/k}\)

and

\(\displaystyle (2\pi)^{z/2} \text{exp}\left(- \frac{z+z^2(1+\gamma )}{2} \right) \prod_{k=1}^{\infty} \left(1+\frac{z}{k} \right)^k \text{exp} \left(\frac{z^2}{2k}-z \right)=\)

\(\displaystyle \text{exp}(\gamma_2(z)) \prod_{k=1}^{\infty} \left(1+\frac{z}{k} \right)^k \text{exp} \left(\frac{z^2}{2k}-z \right)\)

And therein lies the problem, as I've not been able to find a way of evaluating \(\displaystyle \gamma_{m \ge 3}(z)\), or proving that

\(\displaystyle \prod_{k=1}^{\infty} \left(1+\frac{z}{k} \right) e^{-z/k}= \text{exp} \Bigg\{ - \sum_{k=2}^{\infty} (-1)^k \frac{\zeta(k)}{k}z^k \Bigg\}
\)

and

\(\displaystyle \prod_{k=1}^{\infty} \left(1+\frac{z}{k} \right)^k \text{exp} \left(\frac{z^2}{2k}-z \right)= \text{exp} \Bigg\{ \sum_{k=2}^{\infty} (-1)^k \frac{\zeta(k)}{k+1}z^{k+1} \Bigg\}\)

Any ideas, folks...???

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012
Re: A conjecture on a Genralized Barnes' function - can anyone help?

This is NOT a tutorial, so any and all contributions are very much welcome... :D

I've recently been working on the Barnes' function - see tutorial in Math Notes board - and been trying to generalize some of my results to higher order Barnes' functions (intimately connected with the Multiple Gamma functions, \(\displaystyle \Gamma_n(z)\) ). If we define the Generalized Barnes' function

by

\(\displaystyle G_1(z) = \frac{1}{\Gamma(z)}\)

\(\displaystyle G_2(z) = \frac{1}{\Gamma_2(z)} = G(z) \quad [ \text{the regular Barnes function} ]\)

\(\displaystyle G_3(z) = \frac{1}{\Gamma_3(z)}\)

etc, and

\(\displaystyle G_n(1) = 1\)

\(\displaystyle G_{n+1}(1+z)=G_n(z) G_{n+1}(z)\)

My main aim has been to find an infinite product representation for the Triple Barnes' Function, \(\displaystyle G_3(1+z)\), and even higher order Multiple Barnes' functions. The following results are known:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{\Gamma(z)}=ze^{\gamma z}\prod_{k=1}^{\infty} \left(1+\frac{z}{k} \right) e^{-z/k}\)

\(\displaystyle G_1(1+z)=\frac{1}{\Gamma(1+z)} =\frac{1}{z\Gamma(z)}= e^{\gamma z}\prod_{k=1}^{\infty} \left(1+\frac{z}{k} \right) e^{-z/k}\)

and

\(\displaystyle (2\pi)^{z/2} \text{exp}\left(- \frac{z+z^2(1+\gamma )}{2} \right) \prod_{k=1}^{\infty} \left(1+\frac{z}{k} \right)^k \text{exp} \left(\frac{z^2}{2k}-z \right)\)

In the Barnes' function tutorial, I presented the following Taylor series

\(\displaystyle \log \Gamma(1+z)=-\gamma z +\sum_{k=2}^{\infty} (-1)^k \frac{\zeta(k)}{k}z^k \quad \Rightarrow\)

\(\displaystyle \log G_1(1+z)=\gamma z - \sum_{k=2}^{\infty} (-1)^k \frac{\zeta(k)}{k}z^k \)

Similarly

\(\displaystyle \log G_2(1+z)=\log G(1+z)= \frac{z}{2}\log(2\pi) - \left( \frac{z+z^2(1+\gamma )}{2} \right) + \sum_{k=2}^{\infty} (-1)^k \frac{\zeta(k)}{k+1}z^{k+1} \)

For various different reasons, this has led me to conjecture a family of polynomials, which I've come to call the Complementary Barnes' Function Polynomials (Barnes' Polynomials for short),

\(\displaystyle \gamma_m(z) = \text{Polynomial of degree at most} \, m\)

The central idea is this: in light of the previous two series, I've been lead to consider:

The Barnes' Polynomial Conjecture:

\(\displaystyle \log G_m(1+z)= \gamma_m(z) +(-1)^m \sum_{k=2}^{\infty} (-1)^k \frac{\zeta(k)}{k+m-1}z^{k+m-1}\)

Or, equivalently, by exponentiating both sides

Looking at the Taylor series results for \(\displaystyle G_1(1+z)\) and \(\displaystyle G_2(1+z)\) above, this implies that

\(\displaystyle \gamma_1(z)= \gamma z\)

\(\displaystyle \gamma_2(z)= \frac{z}{2}\log(2\pi) - \left( \frac{z+z^2(1+\gamma )}{2} \right)\)

These are consistent with the idea that

Since this implies that

\(\displaystyle G_1(1+z)=e^{\gamma z} \text{exp} \Bigg\{ - \sum_{k=2}^{\infty} (-1)^k \frac{\zeta(k)}{k}z^k \Bigg\}\)

and

\(\displaystyle G_2(1+z)=\)

\(\displaystyle \text{exp} \left(\frac{z}{2}\log 2\pi- \frac{z+z^2(1+\gamma )}{2} \right) \Bigg\{ -
\sum_{k=2}^{\infty} (-1)^k \frac{\zeta(k)}{k+1}z^{k+1} \Bigg\}\)

Conversely,

\(\displaystyle G_1(1+z)= e^{\gamma z}\prod_{k=1}^{\infty} \left(1+\frac{z}{k} \right) e^{-z/k} = \)

\(\displaystyle \text{exp}(\gamma_1(z)) \prod_{k=1}^{\infty} \left(1+\frac{z}{k} \right) e^{-z/k}\)

and

\(\displaystyle (2\pi)^{z/2} \text{exp}\left(- \frac{z+z^2(1+\gamma )}{2} \right) \prod_{k=1}^{\infty} \left(1+\frac{z}{k} \right)^k \text{exp} \left(\frac{z^2}{2k}-z \right)=\)

\(\displaystyle \text{exp}(\gamma_2(z)) \prod_{k=1}^{\infty} \left(1+\frac{z}{k} \right)^k \text{exp} \left(\frac{z^2}{2k}-z \right)\)

And therein lies the problem, as I've not been able to find a way of evaluating \(\displaystyle \gamma_{m \ge 3}(z)\), or proving that

\(\displaystyle \prod_{k=1}^{\infty} \left(1+\frac{z}{k} \right) e^{-z/k}= \text{exp} \Bigg\{ - \sum_{k=2}^{\infty} (-1)^k \frac{\zeta(k)}{k}z^k \Bigg\}
\)

and

\(\displaystyle \prod_{k=1}^{\infty} \left(1+\frac{z}{k} \right)^k \text{exp} \left(\frac{z^2}{2k}-z \right)= \text{exp} \Bigg\{ \sum_{k=2}^{\infty} (-1)^k \frac{\zeta(k)}{k+1}z^{k+1} \Bigg\}\)

Any ideas, folks...???
In...

http://www.math.ucla.edu/~wdduke/preprints/special-jntb.pdf

... is written...

$\displaystyle \gamma_{3} (z) = [\zeta^{\ '}(-1) - \frac{\ln 2 \pi}{4} + \frac{7}{24}]\ z + (\frac{\gamma + \ln 2 \pi}{4} + \frac{1}{8})\ z^{2} - (\frac{\gamma}{6} + \frac{\pi^{2}}{36} + \frac{1}{4})\ z^{3}$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Random Variable

MHB Math Helper
Jan 31, 2012
Re: A conjecture on a Genralized Barnes' function - can anyone help?

$ \displaystyle \prod_{k=1}^{\infty} \left(1+\frac{z}{k} \right) e^{-z/k}$

$\displaystyle \log \prod_{k=1}^{\infty} \left(1+\frac{z}{k} \right) e^{-z/k} = \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \Big[ \log \left( 1 + \frac{z}{k} \right) - \frac{z}{k} \Big] $

$ = \displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \Big( \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{n-1}}{n} \frac{z^{n}}{k^{n}} - \frac{z}{k} \Big) = \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \sum_{n=2}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{n-1}}{n} \frac{z^{n}}{k^{n}}$

$ = \displaystyle \sum_{n=2}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{n-1} z^{n}}{n} \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k^{n}} = \sum_{n=2}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{n-1} \zeta(n)}{n} z^{n} $

I showed the equivalence of the second one in that thread about the log gamma integral.

DreamWeaver

Sep 16, 2013
Thank you very much... Both of you. (Hug)

With our combined skills, it seems like an infinite product representation for \(\displaystyle \log G_3(1+z)\) and \(\displaystyle \log G_4(1+z)\) shouldn't be far off.

In addition, although I've not yet posted the details, assuming the Barnes' Polynomial hypothesis above, then I have already worked out reflection formulae for \(\displaystyle \log G_3(1+z)\), \(\displaystyle \log G_4(1+z)\), \(\displaystyle \log G_5(1+z)\), and \(\displaystyle \log G_6(1+z)\)... These and others will follow shortly.

Watch this space! (Heidy) (Heidy) (Heidy)

ps. Sorry RV... I must seem a bit dim at times, but I was a tad tipsy when I read your previous reply - the other day - re the Barnes function. Will take another look... :eek::eek::eek:

DreamWeaver

Sep 16, 2013
A reflection formula for the Triple Barnes Function - PART 1:

From the Taylor series expansion for the Barnes function \(\displaystyle \log G_2(1+z)\), we have

\(\displaystyle \int_0^z \log G_2(1+x) \,dx = \)

\(\displaystyle \int_0^z \Bigg\{ \frac{x}{2}\log 2\pi- \left( \frac{x+x^2(1+\gamma) }{2} \right) + \sum_{k=2}^{\infty}(-1)^k \frac{\zeta(k)}{(k+1)} x^{k+1} \Bigg\} \,dx=\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{z^2}{4}\log 2\pi-\frac{z^2}{4}-\frac{z^3}{6}(1+\gamma)+ \sum_{k=2}^{\infty}(-1)^k \frac{\zeta(k)}{(k+1)(k+2)} x^{k+2}=\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{z^2}{4}\log 2\pi-\frac{z^2}{4}-\frac{z^3}{6}(1+\gamma)+\)

\(\displaystyle z \left[ \sum_{k=2}^{\infty}(-1)^k \frac{\zeta(k)}{(k+1)} x^{k+1} \right] -\sum_{k=2}^{\infty}(-1)^k \frac{\zeta(k)}{(k+2)} x^{k+2}=\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{z^2}{4}\log 2\pi-\frac{z^2}{4}-\frac{z^3}{6}(1+\gamma) -\sum_{k=2}^{\infty}(-1)^k \frac{\zeta(k)}{(k+2)} x^{k+2}\)

\(\displaystyle + z \left[ \log G_2(1+z) - \frac{z}{2}\log 2\pi + \left( \frac{z+z^2(1+\gamma) }{2} \right) \right] =\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{z^2}{4}(1-\log 2\pi ) +\frac{z^3}{3}(1+\gamma) +z \log G_2(1+z) \)

\(\displaystyle -\sum_{k=2}^{\infty}(-1)^k \frac{\zeta(k)}{(k+2)} x^{k+2}\)

So, assuming that

\(\displaystyle \log G_m(1+z) = \gamma_m(z)+ (-1)^m \sum_{k=2}^{\infty} (-1)^k\frac{\zeta(k)}{(k+m-1)} z^{k+m-1}\)

This becomes

\(\displaystyle \frac{z^2}{4}(1-\log 2\pi ) +\frac{z^3}{3}(1+\gamma) -\gamma_3(z) +z \log G_2(1+z) +\)

\(\displaystyle \log G_3(1+z) \)

DreamWeaver

Sep 16, 2013
A reflection formula for the Triple Barnes Function - PART 2:

Next, we integrate the Reflection formula for the (regular) Barnes function:

\(\displaystyle \log \left( \frac{G_2(1+x)}{G_2(1-x)} \right) = -x \log \left( \frac{\sin \pi x}{\pi} \right) - \frac{1}{2\pi} \text{Cl}_2(2\pi x)\)

\(\displaystyle \int_0^z \log \left( \frac{G_2(1+x)}{G_2(1-x)} \right) \,dx=\)

\(\displaystyle -\int_0^z x \log \left( \frac{\sin \pi x}{\pi} \right) \,dx-\frac{1}{2\pi} \int_0^z \text{Cl}_2(2\pi x)\,dx=
\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{z^2}{2}\log 2\pi -\int_0^z x \log \left( \sin \pi x \right) \,dx-\frac{1}{2\pi} \int_0^z \text{Cl}_2(2\pi x)\,dx= \)

\(\displaystyle \frac{z^2}{2}\log2\pi -\int_0^z x \log \left( 2 \sin \pi x \right) \,dx-\frac{1}{2\pi} \int_0^z \text{Cl}_2(2\pi x)\,dx=\)

The substitution \(\displaystyle y=2\pi x\) gives

\(\displaystyle \frac{z^2}{2}\log2\pi -\frac{1}{4\pi^2} \int_0^{2\pi z} y \log \left( 2 \sin \frac{y}{2} \right) \,dy-\frac{1}{4\pi^2 } \int_0^{2\pi z} \text{Cl}_2(y)\,dy
\)

The first integral is evaluated as

\(\displaystyle \int_0^{2\pi z} y \log \left( 2 \sin \frac{y}{2} \right) \,dy= -y \text{Cl}_2(y) \, \Bigg|_0^{2\pi z} +\int_0^{2\pi z} \text{Cl}_2(y) \, dy=\)

\(\displaystyle -2\pi z \text{Cl}_2(2\pi z) +\int_0^{2\pi z} \text{Cl}_2(y) \, dy\)

Hence we have

\(\displaystyle \frac{z^2}{2}\log2\pi + \frac{z}{2\pi} \text{Cl}_2(2\pi z) -\frac{1}{2\pi^2 } \int_0^{2\pi z} \text{Cl}_2(y)\,dy
\)

That last integral can be evaluated by appealing to the series definitions of the Clausen functions of orders 2 and 3, as well as the Zeta function \(\displaystyle \zeta(3)\):

\(\displaystyle \text{Cl}_2(\varphi)= \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{\sin k \varphi}{k^2} \)

\(\displaystyle \text{Cl}_3(\varphi)= \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{\cos k \varphi}{k^3} \)

\(\displaystyle \zeta(3) = \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k^3} \)

\(\displaystyle \int_0^{2\pi z} \text{Cl}_2(x)\,dx= \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k^2} \int_0^{2\pi z} \sin k x \,dx=\)

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k^2} \left[ -\frac{1}{k} \cos kx \right]_0^{2\pi z}=\)

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k^3} - \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{\cos 2\pi kz}{k^3}= \zeta(3)- \text{Cl}_3( 2\pi z )\)

Putting all of this together, we have the integral evaluation:

\(\displaystyle \frac{z^2}{2}\log2\pi + \frac{z}{2\pi} \text{Cl}_2(2\pi z) -\frac{\zeta(3)}{2\pi^2 }+ \frac{1}{2\pi^2 } \text{Cl}_3(2\pi z)\)

DreamWeaver

Sep 16, 2013
A reflection formula for the Triple Barnes function - PART 3

Next, we split the integral

\(\displaystyle \int_0^z \log \left( \frac{G_2(1+x)}{G_2(1-x)} \right) \,dx\)

into

\(\displaystyle \int_0^z\log G_2(1+x)\,dx - \int_0^z\log G_2(1-x)\,dx \equiv \)

\(\displaystyle \int_0^z\log G_2(1+x)\,dx + \int_0^{-z}\log G_2(1+x)\,dx \)

and use

\(\displaystyle \frac{z^2}{4}(1-\log 2\pi ) +\frac{z^3}{3}(1+\gamma) -\gamma_3(z) +z \log G_2(1+z) +\)

\(\displaystyle \log G_3(1+z) \)

to obtain

\(\displaystyle \Bigg[ \frac{x^2}{4}(1-\log 2\pi ) +\frac{x^3}{3}(1+\gamma) -\gamma_3(x) +x \log G_2(1+x) +\)

\(\displaystyle \log G_3(1+x) \Bigg]_{x=z} + \)

\(\displaystyle \Bigg[ \frac{x^2}{4}(1-\log 2\pi ) +\frac{x^3}{3}(1+\gamma) -\gamma_3(x) +x \log G_2(1+x) +\)

\(\displaystyle \log G_3(1+x) \Bigg]_{x=-z} = \)

\(\displaystyle \frac{z^2}{2}(1-\log 2\pi) -\gamma_3(z)-\gamma_3(-z) +z\log \left( \frac{G_2(1+z)}{G_2(1-z) } \right) + \)

\(\displaystyle \log G_3(1+z) + \log G_3(1-z) \)

Using the Reflection formula for the Double Barnes' function this becomes

\(\displaystyle \frac{z^2}{2}(1-\log 2\pi) -\gamma_3(z)-\gamma_3(-z) + \log G_3(1+z) + \log G_3(1-z) \)

\(\displaystyle -z^2 \log \left( \frac{\sin \pi z}{\pi} \right)- \frac{z}{2\pi} \text{Cl}_2(2\pi z)\)

Equating this with

\(\displaystyle \frac{z^2}{2}\log2\pi + \frac{z}{2\pi} \text{Cl}_2(2\pi z) -\frac{\zeta(3)}{2\pi^2 }+ \frac{1}{2\pi^2 } \text{Cl}_3(2\pi z)\)

Gives the Reflection formula:

\(\displaystyle (03) \quad \log G_3(1+z) + \log G_3(1-z)=\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{z^2}{2}(2 \log2\pi -1) + \frac{z}{\pi} \text{Cl}_2(2\pi z) -\frac{\zeta(3)}{2\pi^2 }+ \frac{1}{2\pi^2 } \text{Cl}_3(2\pi z) +\)

\(\displaystyle z^2 \log \left( \frac{\sin \pi z}{\pi} \right) + \gamma_3(z)+\gamma_3(-z) \)

(Heidy) (Heidy) (Heidy)

DreamWeaver

Sep 16, 2013
Reflection formula for the Triple Barnes function - PART 4

Using the value of \(\displaystyle \gamma_3(z)\) that Chisigma posted above, we get

\(\displaystyle \gamma_3(z)+\gamma_3(-z)= \frac{(1+2\gamma + 2\log 2\pi) }{4} z^2\)

Plugging this into (03) gives:

\(\displaystyle \log G_3(1+z) + \log G_3(1-z)=\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{z^2}{2}(2 \log2\pi -1) + \frac{z}{\pi} \text{Cl}_2(2\pi z) -\frac{\zeta(3)}{2\pi^2 }+ \frac{1}{2\pi^2 } \text{Cl}_3(2\pi z) +\)

\(\displaystyle z^2 \log \left( \frac{\sin \pi z}{\pi} \right) + \frac{(1+2\gamma + 2\log 2\pi) }{4} z^2 \)

I'll have to work through this all again, just to make sure I haven't made any errors, but if I haven't, then setting \(\displaystyle z=1/2\) and using

\(\displaystyle G_3(1+z) = G_2(z) \, G_3(z)\)

gives

\(\displaystyle \log G_3 \left( \frac{1}{2} \right) = \)

\(\displaystyle \frac{3}{16 \log 2} + \frac{1}{16} \log \pi -\frac{1}{32} -\frac{7 \zeta (3) }{16 \pi^2} - \frac{1}{2} \log G_2 \left( \frac{1}{2} \right)\)

Since

\(\displaystyle \text{Cl}_2(\pi) = 0\)

and

\(\displaystyle \text{Cl}_3(\pi) = -\frac{3 \zeta(3)}{4}\)

Furthermore, in terms of the Glaisher-Kinkelin constant A, the (regular) Barnes' function has the following known value:

\(\displaystyle G \left( \frac{1}{2} \right) = G_2 \left( \frac{1}{2} \right) = \frac{ 2^{1/24} e^{1/8} }{ A^{3/2} \pi^{1/4 }}\)

\(\displaystyle \log G_3 \left( \frac{1}{2} \right) = \)

\(\displaystyle \frac{3}{16 } \log 2 + \frac{1}{16} \log \pi -\frac{1}{32} -\frac{7 \zeta (3) }{16 \pi^2} - \frac{1}{2} \log \left( \frac{ 2^{1/24} e^{1/8} }{ A^{3/2} \pi^{1/4 }} \right)\)

Oh bugger!! (Headbang)(Headbang)(Headbang)

It appears I've made a mistake or two somewhere, so I'll have to work through all this again tomorrow. The correct value, you see, should be:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{ G_3( 1/2) } = \frac{A^{3/2} \pi^{3/16} }{ 2^{1/24} } \, \text{exp} \left( \frac{7 \, \zeta(3) }{32 \pi^2} - \frac{1}{8} \right)\)

On the plus-side, it looks like I'm not far off... (Heidy)

Random Variable

MHB Math Helper
Jan 31, 2012
I don't know where you made a mistake.

But I would like to share a way of finding the value of $G \left( \frac{1}{2} \right)$.

For $\text{Re} (z) >0$, the Barnes G function has the closed form expression

$$ \log G(z+1) = \log \Gamma(z) + \log G (z) = z \log \Gamma(z) + \zeta'(-1) - \zeta(-1,z)$$

See here.

So $$ \log G \left( \frac{1}{2} \right) = - \frac{ \log \pi }{4} + \zeta'(-1) - \zeta' \left( -1, \frac{1}{2} \right)$$

In a challenge thread I used the Euler Maclaurin summation formula to show that $ \displaystyle \zeta'(-1) = \frac{1}{12}-\log A$.

See here.

And manipulating the series definition of the Hurwitz zeta function, one finds that $ \displaystyle \zeta \left( z, \frac{1}{2} \right) = (2^z-1) \zeta(z)$.

Then

$$ \zeta' \left( z, \frac{1}{2} \right) = \log(2) 2^{z} \zeta(z) +(2^z-1) \zeta'(z)$$

$$ \implies \zeta' \left( -1, \frac{1}{2} \right) = \frac{\log 2}{2} \zeta(-1) - \frac{1}{2} \zeta'(-1) $$

So we have

$$ \log G \left(\frac{1}{2} \right) = - \frac{\log \pi}{4} + \zeta'(1) - \frac{\log 2}{2} \zeta(-1) + \frac{1}{2} \zeta'(-1)$$

$$ = - \frac{\log \pi}{4} + \frac{3}{2} \zeta'(1) - \frac{\log 2}{24} = - \frac{\log \pi}{4} + \frac{1}{8} - \frac{3}{2} \log A + \frac{\log 2}{24} $$

$$ \implies G \left( \frac{1}{2} \right) = \frac{2^{\frac{1}{24}} e^{\frac{1}{8}}}{A^{\frac{3}{2}} \pi^{\frac{1}{4}}}$$

Last edited:

DreamWeaver

Sep 16, 2013
Very smooth, RV! Thanks for sharing... (Yes)