A conjecture on a Generalized Barnes' function - can anyone help?

In summary, the conversation is about a generalization of Barnes' function and the search for an infinite product representation for higher order Barnes' functions. The speaker presents a conjecture about a family of polynomials called Barnes' Polynomials and discusses the difficulty in evaluating them. They also mention a result known as the Barnes' Polynomial Conjecture and ask for ideas on how to prove it. The conversation ends with a reference to a paper that provides a formula for the third degree of the Barnes' Polynomials.
DreamWeaver
This is NOT a tutorial, so any and all contributions are very much welcome... :DI've recently been working on the Barnes' function - see tutorial in Math Notes board - and been trying to generalize some of my results to higher order Barnes' functions (intimately connected with the Multiple Gamma functions, \(\displaystyle \Gamma_n(z)\) ). If we define the Generalized Barnes' function

by\(\displaystyle G_1(z) = \frac{1}{\Gamma(z)}\)

\(\displaystyle G_2(z) = \frac{1}{\Gamma_2(z)} = G(z) \quad [ \text{the regular Barnes function} ]\)

\(\displaystyle G_3(z) = \frac{1}{\Gamma_3(z)}\)etc, and\(\displaystyle G_n(1) = 1\)

\(\displaystyle G_{n+1}(1+z)=G_n(z) G_{n+1}(z)\)
My main aim has been to find an infinite product representation for the Triple Barnes' Function, \(\displaystyle G_3(1+z)\), and even higher order Multiple Barnes' functions. The following results are known:\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{\Gamma(z)}=ze^{\gamma z}\prod_{k=1}^{\infty} \left(1+\frac{z}{k} \right) e^{-z/k}\)\(\displaystyle \Rightarrow\)\(\displaystyle G_1(1+z)=\frac{1}{\Gamma(1+z)} =\frac{1}{z\Gamma(z)}= e^{\gamma z}\prod_{k=1}^{\infty} \left(1+\frac{z}{k} \right) e^{-z/k}\)and\(\displaystyle G_2(1+z)=G(1+z) = \)

\(\displaystyle (2\pi)^{z/2} \text{exp}\left(- \frac{z+z^2(1+\gamma )}{2} \right) \prod_{k=1}^{\infty} \left(1+\frac{z}{k} \right)^k \text{exp} \left(\frac{z^2}{2k}-z \right)\)
In the Barnes' function tutorial, I presented the following Taylor series\(\displaystyle \log \Gamma(1+z)=-\gamma z +\sum_{k=2}^{\infty} (-1)^k \frac{\zeta(k)}{k}z^k \quad \Rightarrow\)\(\displaystyle \log G_1(1+z)=\gamma z - \sum_{k=2}^{\infty} (-1)^k \frac{\zeta(k)}{k}z^k \)Similarly\(\displaystyle \log G_2(1+z)=\log G(1+z)= \frac{z}{2}\log(2\pi) - \left( \frac{z+z^2(1+\gamma )}{2} \right) + \sum_{k=2}^{\infty} (-1)^k \frac{\zeta(k)}{k+1}z^{k+1} \)
For various different reasons, this has led me to conjecture a family of polynomials, which I've come to call the Complementary Barnes' Function Polynomials (Barnes' Polynomials for short), \(\displaystyle \gamma_m(z) = \text{Polynomial of degree at most} \, m\)The central idea is this: in light of the previous two series, I've been lead to consider:The Barnes' Polynomial Conjecture:\(\displaystyle \log G_m(1+z)= \gamma_m(z) +(-1)^m \sum_{k=2}^{\infty} (-1)^k \frac{\zeta(k)}{k+m-1}z^{k+m-1}\)Or, equivalently, by exponentiating both sides\(\displaystyle G_m(1+z)= \text{exp} (\gamma_m(z)) \text{exp} \Bigg\{ (-1)^m \sum_{k=2}^{\infty} (-1)^k \frac{\zeta(k)}{k+m-1}z^{k+m-1} \Bigg\}\)Looking at the Taylor series results for \(\displaystyle G_1(1+z)\) and \(\displaystyle G_2(1+z)\) above, this implies that\(\displaystyle \gamma_1(z)= \gamma z\)\(\displaystyle \gamma_2(z)= \frac{z}{2}\log(2\pi) - \left( \frac{z+z^2(1+\gamma )}{2} \right)\)These are consistent with the idea that\(\displaystyle G_m(1+z)= \text{exp} (\gamma_m(z)) \text{exp} \Bigg\{ (-1)^m \sum_{k=2}^{\infty} (-1)^k \frac{\zeta(k)}{k+m-1}z^{k+m-1} \Bigg\}\)Since this implies that\(\displaystyle G_1(1+z)=e^{\gamma z} \text{exp} \Bigg\{ - \sum_{k=2}^{\infty} (-1)^k \frac{\zeta(k)}{k}z^k \Bigg\}\)and\(\displaystyle G_2(1+z)=\)

\(\displaystyle \text{exp} \left(\frac{z}{2}\log 2\pi- \frac{z+z^2(1+\gamma )}{2} \right) \Bigg\{ -
\sum_{k=2}^{\infty} (-1)^k \frac{\zeta(k)}{k+1}z^{k+1} \Bigg\}\)Conversely,\(\displaystyle G_1(1+z)= e^{\gamma z}\prod_{k=1}^{\infty} \left(1+\frac{z}{k} \right) e^{-z/k} = \)

\(\displaystyle \text{exp}(\gamma_1(z)) \prod_{k=1}^{\infty} \left(1+\frac{z}{k} \right) e^{-z/k}\)and\(\displaystyle G_2(1+z)=G(1+z) = \)

\(\displaystyle (2\pi)^{z/2} \text{exp}\left(- \frac{z+z^2(1+\gamma )}{2} \right) \prod_{k=1}^{\infty} \left(1+\frac{z}{k} \right)^k \text{exp} \left(\frac{z^2}{2k}-z \right)=\)\(\displaystyle \text{exp}(\gamma_2(z)) \prod_{k=1}^{\infty} \left(1+\frac{z}{k} \right)^k \text{exp} \left(\frac{z^2}{2k}-z \right)\)And therein lies the problem, as I've not been able to find a way of evaluating \(\displaystyle \gamma_{m \ge 3}(z)\), or proving that\(\displaystyle \prod_{k=1}^{\infty} \left(1+\frac{z}{k} \right) e^{-z/k}= \text{exp} \Bigg\{ - \sum_{k=2}^{\infty} (-1)^k \frac{\zeta(k)}{k}z^k \Bigg\}
\)and\(\displaystyle \prod_{k=1}^{\infty} \left(1+\frac{z}{k} \right)^k \text{exp} \left(\frac{z^2}{2k}-z \right)= \text{exp} \Bigg\{ \sum_{k=2}^{\infty} (-1)^k \frac{\zeta(k)}{k+1}z^{k+1} \Bigg\}\)Any ideas, folks...?

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: A conjecture on a Genralized Barnes' function - can anyone help?

DreamWeaver said:
This is NOT a tutorial, so any and all contributions are very much welcome... :DI've recently been working on the Barnes' function - see tutorial in Math Notes board - and been trying to generalize some of my results to higher order Barnes' functions (intimately connected with the Multiple Gamma functions, \(\displaystyle \Gamma_n(z)\) ). If we define the Generalized Barnes' function

by\(\displaystyle G_1(z) = \frac{1}{\Gamma(z)}\)

\(\displaystyle G_2(z) = \frac{1}{\Gamma_2(z)} = G(z) \quad [ \text{the regular Barnes function} ]\)

\(\displaystyle G_3(z) = \frac{1}{\Gamma_3(z)}\)etc, and\(\displaystyle G_n(1) = 1\)

\(\displaystyle G_{n+1}(1+z)=G_n(z) G_{n+1}(z)\)
My main aim has been to find an infinite product representation for the Triple Barnes' Function, \(\displaystyle G_3(1+z)\), and even higher order Multiple Barnes' functions. The following results are known:\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{\Gamma(z)}=ze^{\gamma z}\prod_{k=1}^{\infty} \left(1+\frac{z}{k} \right) e^{-z/k}\)\(\displaystyle \Rightarrow\)\(\displaystyle G_1(1+z)=\frac{1}{\Gamma(1+z)} =\frac{1}{z\Gamma(z)}= e^{\gamma z}\prod_{k=1}^{\infty} \left(1+\frac{z}{k} \right) e^{-z/k}\)and\(\displaystyle G_2(1+z)=G(1+z) = \)

\(\displaystyle (2\pi)^{z/2} \text{exp}\left(- \frac{z+z^2(1+\gamma )}{2} \right) \prod_{k=1}^{\infty} \left(1+\frac{z}{k} \right)^k \text{exp} \left(\frac{z^2}{2k}-z \right)\)
In the Barnes' function tutorial, I presented the following Taylor series\(\displaystyle \log \Gamma(1+z)=-\gamma z +\sum_{k=2}^{\infty} (-1)^k \frac{\zeta(k)}{k}z^k \quad \Rightarrow\)\(\displaystyle \log G_1(1+z)=\gamma z - \sum_{k=2}^{\infty} (-1)^k \frac{\zeta(k)}{k}z^k \)Similarly\(\displaystyle \log G_2(1+z)=\log G(1+z)= \frac{z}{2}\log(2\pi) - \left( \frac{z+z^2(1+\gamma )}{2} \right) + \sum_{k=2}^{\infty} (-1)^k \frac{\zeta(k)}{k+1}z^{k+1} \)
For various different reasons, this has led me to conjecture a family of polynomials, which I've come to call the Complementary Barnes' Function Polynomials (Barnes' Polynomials for short), \(\displaystyle \gamma_m(z) = \text{Polynomial of degree at most} \, m\)The central idea is this: in light of the previous two series, I've been lead to consider:The Barnes' Polynomial Conjecture:\(\displaystyle \log G_m(1+z)= \gamma_m(z) +(-1)^m \sum_{k=2}^{\infty} (-1)^k \frac{\zeta(k)}{k+m-1}z^{k+m-1}\)Or, equivalently, by exponentiating both sides\(\displaystyle G_m(1+z)= \text{exp} (\gamma_m(z)) \text{exp} \Bigg\{ (-1)^m \sum_{k=2}^{\infty} (-1)^k \frac{\zeta(k)}{k+m-1}z^{k+m-1} \Bigg\}\)Looking at the Taylor series results for \(\displaystyle G_1(1+z)\) and \(\displaystyle G_2(1+z)\) above, this implies that\(\displaystyle \gamma_1(z)= \gamma z\)\(\displaystyle \gamma_2(z)= \frac{z}{2}\log(2\pi) - \left( \frac{z+z^2(1+\gamma )}{2} \right)\)These are consistent with the idea that\(\displaystyle G_m(1+z)= \text{exp} (\gamma_m(z)) \text{exp} \Bigg\{ (-1)^m \sum_{k=2}^{\infty} (-1)^k \frac{\zeta(k)}{k+m-1}z^{k+m-1} \Bigg\}\)Since this implies that\(\displaystyle G_1(1+z)=e^{\gamma z} \text{exp} \Bigg\{ - \sum_{k=2}^{\infty} (-1)^k \frac{\zeta(k)}{k}z^k \Bigg\}\)and\(\displaystyle G_2(1+z)=\)

\(\displaystyle \text{exp} \left(\frac{z}{2}\log 2\pi- \frac{z+z^2(1+\gamma )}{2} \right) \Bigg\{ -
\sum_{k=2}^{\infty} (-1)^k \frac{\zeta(k)}{k+1}z^{k+1} \Bigg\}\)Conversely,\(\displaystyle G_1(1+z)= e^{\gamma z}\prod_{k=1}^{\infty} \left(1+\frac{z}{k} \right) e^{-z/k} = \)

\(\displaystyle \text{exp}(\gamma_1(z)) \prod_{k=1}^{\infty} \left(1+\frac{z}{k} \right) e^{-z/k}\)and\(\displaystyle G_2(1+z)=G(1+z) = \)

\(\displaystyle (2\pi)^{z/2} \text{exp}\left(- \frac{z+z^2(1+\gamma )}{2} \right) \prod_{k=1}^{\infty} \left(1+\frac{z}{k} \right)^k \text{exp} \left(\frac{z^2}{2k}-z \right)=\)\(\displaystyle \text{exp}(\gamma_2(z)) \prod_{k=1}^{\infty} \left(1+\frac{z}{k} \right)^k \text{exp} \left(\frac{z^2}{2k}-z \right)\)And therein lies the problem, as I've not been able to find a way of evaluating \(\displaystyle \gamma_{m \ge 3}(z)\), or proving that\(\displaystyle \prod_{k=1}^{\infty} \left(1+\frac{z}{k} \right) e^{-z/k}= \text{exp} \Bigg\{ - \sum_{k=2}^{\infty} (-1)^k \frac{\zeta(k)}{k}z^k \Bigg\}
\)and\(\displaystyle \prod_{k=1}^{\infty} \left(1+\frac{z}{k} \right)^k \text{exp} \left(\frac{z^2}{2k}-z \right)= \text{exp} \Bigg\{ \sum_{k=2}^{\infty} (-1)^k \frac{\zeta(k)}{k+1}z^{k+1} \Bigg\}\)Any ideas, folks...?

In...

http://www.math.ucla.edu/~wdduke/preprints/special-jntb.pdf

... is written... $\displaystyle \gamma_{3} (z) = [\zeta^{\ '}(-1) - \frac{\ln 2 \pi}{4} + \frac{7}{24}]\ z + (\frac{\gamma + \ln 2 \pi}{4} + \frac{1}{8})\ z^{2} - (\frac{\gamma}{6} + \frac{\pi^{2}}{36} + \frac{1}{4})\ z^{3}$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Re: A conjecture on a Genralized Barnes' function - can anyone help?

$ \displaystyle \prod_{k=1}^{\infty} \left(1+\frac{z}{k} \right) e^{-z/k}$$\displaystyle \log \prod_{k=1}^{\infty} \left(1+\frac{z}{k} \right) e^{-z/k} = \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \Big[ \log \left( 1 + \frac{z}{k} \right) - \frac{z}{k} \Big] $

$ = \displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \Big( \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{n-1}}{n} \frac{z^{n}}{k^{n}} - \frac{z}{k} \Big) = \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \sum_{n=2}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{n-1}}{n} \frac{z^{n}}{k^{n}}$

$ = \displaystyle \sum_{n=2}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{n-1} z^{n}}{n} \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k^{n}} = \sum_{n=2}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{n-1} \zeta(n)}{n} z^{n} $I showed the equivalence of the second one in that thread about the log gamma integral.

Thank you very much... Both of you. (Hug)

With our combined skills, it seems like an infinite product representation for \(\displaystyle \log G_3(1+z)\) and \(\displaystyle \log G_4(1+z)\) shouldn't be far off.

In addition, although I've not yet posted the details, assuming the Barnes' Polynomial hypothesis above, then I have already worked out reflection formulae for \(\displaystyle \log G_3(1+z)\), \(\displaystyle \log G_4(1+z)\), \(\displaystyle \log G_5(1+z)\), and \(\displaystyle \log G_6(1+z)\)... These and others will follow shortly.

Watch this space! (Heidy) (Heidy) (Heidy)
ps. Sorry RV... I must seem a bit dim at times, but I was a tad tipsy when I read your previous reply - the other day - re the Barnes function. Will take another look... :eek::eek::eek:

A reflection formula for the Triple Barnes Function - PART 1:From the Taylor series expansion for the Barnes function \(\displaystyle \log G_2(1+z)\), we have\(\displaystyle \int_0^z \log G_2(1+x) \,dx = \)\(\displaystyle \int_0^z \Bigg\{ \frac{x}{2}\log 2\pi- \left( \frac{x+x^2(1+\gamma) }{2} \right) + \sum_{k=2}^{\infty}(-1)^k \frac{\zeta(k)}{(k+1)} x^{k+1} \Bigg\} \,dx=\)\(\displaystyle \frac{z^2}{4}\log 2\pi-\frac{z^2}{4}-\frac{z^3}{6}(1+\gamma)+ \sum_{k=2}^{\infty}(-1)^k \frac{\zeta(k)}{(k+1)(k+2)} x^{k+2}=\)\(\displaystyle \frac{z^2}{4}\log 2\pi-\frac{z^2}{4}-\frac{z^3}{6}(1+\gamma)+\)\(\displaystyle z \left[ \sum_{k=2}^{\infty}(-1)^k \frac{\zeta(k)}{(k+1)} x^{k+1} \right] -\sum_{k=2}^{\infty}(-1)^k \frac{\zeta(k)}{(k+2)} x^{k+2}=\)
\(\displaystyle \frac{z^2}{4}\log 2\pi-\frac{z^2}{4}-\frac{z^3}{6}(1+\gamma) -\sum_{k=2}^{\infty}(-1)^k \frac{\zeta(k)}{(k+2)} x^{k+2}\)\(\displaystyle + z \left[ \log G_2(1+z) - \frac{z}{2}\log 2\pi + \left( \frac{z+z^2(1+\gamma) }{2} \right) \right] =\)\(\displaystyle \frac{z^2}{4}(1-\log 2\pi ) +\frac{z^3}{3}(1+\gamma) +z \log G_2(1+z) \)\(\displaystyle -\sum_{k=2}^{\infty}(-1)^k \frac{\zeta(k)}{(k+2)} x^{k+2}\)
So, assuming that \(\displaystyle \log G_m(1+z) = \gamma_m(z)+ (-1)^m \sum_{k=2}^{\infty} (-1)^k\frac{\zeta(k)}{(k+m-1)} z^{k+m-1}\)This becomes\(\displaystyle \int_0^z \log G_2(1+x) \,dx = \)\(\displaystyle \frac{z^2}{4}(1-\log 2\pi ) +\frac{z^3}{3}(1+\gamma) -\gamma_3(z) +z \log G_2(1+z) +\)\(\displaystyle \log G_3(1+z) \)

A reflection formula for the Triple Barnes Function - PART 2:Next, we integrate the Reflection formula for the (regular) Barnes function:\(\displaystyle \log \left( \frac{G_2(1+x)}{G_2(1-x)} \right) = -x \log \left( \frac{\sin \pi x}{\pi} \right) - \frac{1}{2\pi} \text{Cl}_2(2\pi x)\)\(\displaystyle \Rightarrow\)\(\displaystyle \int_0^z \log \left( \frac{G_2(1+x)}{G_2(1-x)} \right) \,dx=\)\(\displaystyle -\int_0^z x \log \left( \frac{\sin \pi x}{\pi} \right) \,dx-\frac{1}{2\pi} \int_0^z \text{Cl}_2(2\pi x)\,dx=
\)\(\displaystyle \frac{z^2}{2}\log 2\pi -\int_0^z x \log \left( \sin \pi x \right) \,dx-\frac{1}{2\pi} \int_0^z \text{Cl}_2(2\pi x)\,dx= \)\(\displaystyle \frac{z^2}{2}\log2\pi -\int_0^z x \log \left( 2 \sin \pi x \right) \,dx-\frac{1}{2\pi} \int_0^z \text{Cl}_2(2\pi x)\,dx=\)The substitution \(\displaystyle y=2\pi x\) gives\(\displaystyle \frac{z^2}{2}\log2\pi -\frac{1}{4\pi^2} \int_0^{2\pi z} y \log \left( 2 \sin \frac{y}{2} \right) \,dy-\frac{1}{4\pi^2 } \int_0^{2\pi z} \text{Cl}_2(y)\,dy
\)
The first integral is evaluated as\(\displaystyle \int_0^{2\pi z} y \log \left( 2 \sin \frac{y}{2} \right) \,dy= -y \text{Cl}_2(y) \, \Bigg|_0^{2\pi z} +\int_0^{2\pi z} \text{Cl}_2(y) \, dy=\)\(\displaystyle -2\pi z \text{Cl}_2(2\pi z) +\int_0^{2\pi z} \text{Cl}_2(y) \, dy\)Hence we have\(\displaystyle \frac{z^2}{2}\log2\pi + \frac{z}{2\pi} \text{Cl}_2(2\pi z) -\frac{1}{2\pi^2 } \int_0^{2\pi z} \text{Cl}_2(y)\,dy
\)
That last integral can be evaluated by appealing to the series definitions of the Clausen functions of orders 2 and 3, as well as the Zeta function \(\displaystyle \zeta(3)\):\(\displaystyle \text{Cl}_2(\varphi)= \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{\sin k \varphi}{k^2} \)\(\displaystyle \text{Cl}_3(\varphi)= \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{\cos k \varphi}{k^3} \)\(\displaystyle \zeta(3) = \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k^3} \)\(\displaystyle \Rightarrow\)\(\displaystyle \int_0^{2\pi z} \text{Cl}_2(x)\,dx= \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k^2} \int_0^{2\pi z} \sin k x \,dx=\)\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k^2} \left[ -\frac{1}{k} \cos kx \right]_0^{2\pi z}=\)\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k^3} - \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{\cos 2\pi kz}{k^3}= \zeta(3)- \text{Cl}_3( 2\pi z )\)
Putting all of this together, we have the integral evaluation:\(\displaystyle \int_0^z \log \left( \frac{G_2(1+x)}{G_2(1-x)} \right) \,dx=\)\(\displaystyle \frac{z^2}{2}\log2\pi + \frac{z}{2\pi} \text{Cl}_2(2\pi z) -\frac{\zeta(3)}{2\pi^2 }+ \frac{1}{2\pi^2 } \text{Cl}_3(2\pi z)\)

A reflection formula for the Triple Barnes function - PART 3Next, we split the integral\(\displaystyle \int_0^z \log \left( \frac{G_2(1+x)}{G_2(1-x)} \right) \,dx\)into \(\displaystyle \int_0^z\log G_2(1+x)\,dx - \int_0^z\log G_2(1-x)\,dx \equiv \)\(\displaystyle \int_0^z\log G_2(1+x)\,dx + \int_0^{-z}\log G_2(1+x)\,dx \)and use\(\displaystyle \int_0^z \log G_2(1+x) \,dx = \)\(\displaystyle \frac{z^2}{4}(1-\log 2\pi ) +\frac{z^3}{3}(1+\gamma) -\gamma_3(z) +z \log G_2(1+z) +\)\(\displaystyle \log G_3(1+z) \)
to obtain
\(\displaystyle \int_0^z \log \left( \frac{G_2(1+x)}{G_2(1-x)} \right) \,dx=\)\(\displaystyle \Bigg[ \frac{x^2}{4}(1-\log 2\pi ) +\frac{x^3}{3}(1+\gamma) -\gamma_3(x) +x \log G_2(1+x) +\)\(\displaystyle \log G_3(1+x) \Bigg]_{x=z} + \)\(\displaystyle \Bigg[ \frac{x^2}{4}(1-\log 2\pi ) +\frac{x^3}{3}(1+\gamma) -\gamma_3(x) +x \log G_2(1+x) +\)\(\displaystyle \log G_3(1+x) \Bigg]_{x=-z} = \)
\(\displaystyle \frac{z^2}{2}(1-\log 2\pi) -\gamma_3(z)-\gamma_3(-z) +z\log \left( \frac{G_2(1+z)}{G_2(1-z) } \right) + \)\(\displaystyle \log G_3(1+z) + \log G_3(1-z) \)Using the Reflection formula for the Double Barnes' function this becomes\(\displaystyle \frac{z^2}{2}(1-\log 2\pi) -\gamma_3(z)-\gamma_3(-z) + \log G_3(1+z) + \log G_3(1-z) \)\(\displaystyle -z^2 \log \left( \frac{\sin \pi z}{\pi} \right)- \frac{z}{2\pi} \text{Cl}_2(2\pi z)\)Equating this with \(\displaystyle \int_0^z \log \left( \frac{G_2(1+x)}{G_2(1-x)} \right) \,dx=\)\(\displaystyle \frac{z^2}{2}\log2\pi + \frac{z}{2\pi} \text{Cl}_2(2\pi z) -\frac{\zeta(3)}{2\pi^2 }+ \frac{1}{2\pi^2 } \text{Cl}_3(2\pi z)\)
Gives the Reflection formula:\(\displaystyle (03) \quad \log G_3(1+z) + \log G_3(1-z)=\)\(\displaystyle \frac{z^2}{2}(2 \log2\pi -1) + \frac{z}{\pi} \text{Cl}_2(2\pi z) -\frac{\zeta(3)}{2\pi^2 }+ \frac{1}{2\pi^2 } \text{Cl}_3(2\pi z) +\)\(\displaystyle z^2 \log \left( \frac{\sin \pi z}{\pi} \right) + \gamma_3(z)+\gamma_3(-z) \)
(Heidy) (Heidy) (Heidy)

Reflection formula for the Triple Barnes function - PART 4
Using the value of \(\displaystyle \gamma_3(z)\) that Chisigma posted above, we get\(\displaystyle \gamma_3(z)+\gamma_3(-z)= \frac{(1+2\gamma + 2\log 2\pi) }{4} z^2\)Plugging this into (03) gives:
\(\displaystyle \log G_3(1+z) + \log G_3(1-z)=\)\(\displaystyle \frac{z^2}{2}(2 \log2\pi -1) + \frac{z}{\pi} \text{Cl}_2(2\pi z) -\frac{\zeta(3)}{2\pi^2 }+ \frac{1}{2\pi^2 } \text{Cl}_3(2\pi z) +\)\(\displaystyle z^2 \log \left( \frac{\sin \pi z}{\pi} \right) + \frac{(1+2\gamma + 2\log 2\pi) }{4} z^2 \)I'll have to work through this all again, just to make sure I haven't made any errors, but if I haven't, then setting \(\displaystyle z=1/2\) and using

\(\displaystyle G_3(1+z) = G_2(z) \, G_3(z)\)gives\(\displaystyle \log G_3 \left( \frac{1}{2} \right) = \)\(\displaystyle \frac{3}{16 \log 2} + \frac{1}{16} \log \pi -\frac{1}{32} -\frac{7 \zeta (3) }{16 \pi^2} - \frac{1}{2} \log G_2 \left( \frac{1}{2} \right)\)Since\(\displaystyle \text{Cl}_2(\pi) = 0\)

and

\(\displaystyle \text{Cl}_3(\pi) = -\frac{3 \zeta(3)}{4}\)Furthermore, in terms of the Glaisher-Kinkelin constant A, the (regular) Barnes' function has the following known value:\(\displaystyle G \left( \frac{1}{2} \right) = G_2 \left( \frac{1}{2} \right) = \frac{ 2^{1/24} e^{1/8} }{ A^{3/2} \pi^{1/4 }}\)\(\displaystyle \Rightarrow\)\(\displaystyle \log G_3 \left( \frac{1}{2} \right) = \)\(\displaystyle \frac{3}{16 } \log 2 + \frac{1}{16} \log \pi -\frac{1}{32} -\frac{7 \zeta (3) }{16 \pi^2} - \frac{1}{2} \log \left( \frac{ 2^{1/24} e^{1/8} }{ A^{3/2} \pi^{1/4 }} \right)\)
Oh bugger! (Headbang)(Headbang)(Headbang)

It appears I've made a mistake or two somewhere, so I'll have to work through all this again tomorrow. The correct value, you see, should be:\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{ G_3( 1/2) } = \frac{A^{3/2} \pi^{3/16} }{ 2^{1/24} } \, \text{exp} \left( \frac{7 \, \zeta(3) }{32 \pi^2} - \frac{1}{8} \right)\)

On the plus-side, it looks like I'm not far off... (Heidy)

I don't know where you made a mistake.

But I would like to share a way of finding the value of $G \left( \frac{1}{2} \right)$.For $\text{Re} (z) >0$, the Barnes G function has the closed form expression

$$ \log G(z+1) = \log \Gamma(z) + \log G (z) = z \log \Gamma(z) + \zeta'(-1) - \zeta(-1,z)$$

See here.So $$ \log G \left( \frac{1}{2} \right) = - \frac{ \log \pi }{4} + \zeta'(-1) - \zeta' \left( -1, \frac{1}{2} \right)$$In a challenge thread I used the Euler Maclaurin summation formula to show that $ \displaystyle \zeta'(-1) = \frac{1}{12}-\log A$.

http://mathhelpboards.com/challenge-questions-puzzles-28/euler-maclaurin-summation-formula-riemann-zeta-function-7702.html#post36441And manipulating the series definition of the Hurwitz zeta function, one finds that $ \displaystyle \zeta \left( z, \frac{1}{2} \right) = (2^z-1) \zeta(z)$.

Then

$$ \zeta' \left( z, \frac{1}{2} \right) = \log(2) 2^{z} \zeta(z) +(2^z-1) \zeta'(z)$$

$$ \implies \zeta' \left( -1, \frac{1}{2} \right) = \frac{\log 2}{2} \zeta(-1) - \frac{1}{2} \zeta'(-1) $$

So we have

$$ \log G \left(\frac{1}{2} \right) = - \frac{\log \pi}{4} + \zeta'(1) - \frac{\log 2}{2} \zeta(-1) + \frac{1}{2} \zeta'(-1)$$

$$ = - \frac{\log \pi}{4} + \frac{3}{2} \zeta'(1) - \frac{\log 2}{24} = - \frac{\log \pi}{4} + \frac{1}{8} - \frac{3}{2} \log A + \frac{\log 2}{24} $$

$$ \implies G \left( \frac{1}{2} \right) = \frac{2^{\frac{1}{24}} e^{\frac{1}{8}}}{A^{\frac{3}{2}} \pi^{\frac{1}{4}}}$$http://mathhelpboards.com/challenge-questions-puzzles-28/euler-maclaurin-summation-formula-riemann-zeta-function-7702.html#post36441

Last edited:
Very smooth, RV! Thanks for sharing... (Yes)

Related to A conjecture on a Generalized Barnes' function - can anyone help?

1. What is a conjecture on a Generalized Barnes' function?

A conjecture on a Generalized Barnes' function is a proposed mathematical statement that has not yet been proven or disproven. In this case, it pertains to the Generalized Barnes' function, which is a special type of mathematical function used in number theory.

2. Who proposed this conjecture?

This conjecture was proposed by mathematician John Barnes in the late 19th century. It has since been studied and expanded upon by many other mathematicians.

3. What is the significance of this conjecture?

If this conjecture were to be proven true, it could potentially lead to new discoveries and insights in the field of number theory. It also has practical applications in areas such as cryptography and coding theory.

4. Can anyone help with this conjecture?

Yes, anyone who has knowledge and expertise in number theory and mathematical conjectures can potentially contribute to the research and understanding of this conjecture. Collaboration and discussion among mathematicians is often key in solving complex problems like this one.

5. Has there been any progress made on this conjecture?

Yes, there has been some progress made on this conjecture, but it still remains unproven. Some mathematicians have proposed potential counterexamples or have made partial proofs, but it is still an open problem in mathematics.