A confusing trigonometric question

In summary, the conversation discusses a confusing trigonometric question about an equality that has been given without any problem statement. The person asking the question considers it as both an identity and an equation, but finds that it does not hold true for all values of x and does not have a solution. They also realize that the equation might have been copied incorrectly, causing confusion and difficulty in solving it.
Hells_Kitchen
A confusing trigonometric question!

Hi guys, I had a question. I was given the following equality. There was no problem statement that came with it (i.e. it did not say solve the equation or prove the identity, or anything of this nature)

sec x + csc x / tan x + cot x = sin x + cos x

The person that handed it to me said that he solved it whatever that means. Now, if this was an identity (i.e. true for all permissible values of x) than it should be true for say x=45 degrees. Clearly it is not!

Then I considered it as an equation (i.e. true for SOME permissible values of x). I studied the function f(x) = LHS - RHS and I saw that this function does not attain the value 0. So even as an equation, there is no solution.

Am I doing something wrong here, or is the other person doing something wrong?
Thanks guys!

Physics news on Phys.org

Please, please, please use paretheses to make yourself clear! I assume you actually mean (sec x + csc x )/ (tan x + cot x) = sin x + cos x. What you wrote would, using the standard rules of algebra, be sec x + (csc x / tan x)+ cot x = sin x + cos x
but that is clearly not true.

My general rule, not always the simplest, is to start by replacing all functions by sine and cosine. Here, you have, on the left,
[tex]\frac{\frac{1}{cos x}+ \frac{1}{sin x}}{\frac{sin x}{cos x}+ \frac{cos x}{sin x}}[/tex].

Now multiply both numerator and denominator by of the main fraction by sin x cos x.

hmmm. Someone who is taking algebra gave me this equation and the way he had written it was exactly this:
sec x + (csc x / tan x)+ cot x = sin x + cos x

He could not solve it for some reason, but this equation cannot be solved as it is written.

On the other hand, (sec x + csc x )/ (tan x + cot x) = sin x + cos x is an identity which is easily proved as you suggested above. I was arguing with him and I was telling him that he must have copied the problem wrong. So I see that he forgot parantheses which turned an easy problem into a nightmare.

ok then, sorry about the hassle. Thanks for the quick response. But I did mean the equation without parantheses because that equation does not have a solution if you try to solve it!

Related to A confusing trigonometric question

1. What is trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships and calculations between the sides and angles of triangles.

2. Why is trigonometry important?

Trigonometry is used in a wide range of fields, including engineering, physics, astronomy, and navigation. It helps us understand and solve problems involving triangles and angles.

3. What is the unit circle and how does it relate to trigonometry?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1, centered at the origin of a coordinate system. It is used in trigonometry to help visualize and solve problems involving angles and trigonometric functions.

4. What are the basic trigonometric functions?

The basic trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, and tangent. They represent the ratios of different sides of a right triangle.

5. What is the difference between radians and degrees in trigonometry?

Radians and degrees are two different ways to measure angles. In trigonometry, radians are often preferred because they simplify calculations involving trigonometric functions.