A Commutator of annihilation operator

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with understanding a commutator in a book about atom-photon interaction. The second commutator is not clear, and the question is whether it is correct for all Hamiltonians or just special ones. It is proven that the second commutator holds for any complex-analytic function of ##z##, and can be extended to functions like ##f(a, a^\dagger)## with proper operator ordering.
Robert_G
Hi, everybody:

I encountered a problem when I am reading a book.
It's about the atom-photon interaction.
Let the Hamiltonian for the free photons be
[itex]H_0=\hbar \omega(a^{\dagger}a+\frac{1}{2})[/itex].
so the commutator of the annihilation operator and the Hamiltonian is
[itex][a,H_0]=\hbar\omega a [/itex]
and I have no problem with that.

In the book I am reading is a commutation as
[itex][a,H_{I}]=\frac{\partial}{\partial a^{\dagger}}H_I[/itex]
This is the thing I do not understand.
[itex]H_{I}[/itex] is the Hamiltonian that describing the interaction between the atom and the photon,
and it is a little tedious to type it here. However, If I change [itex]H_I[/itex] into [itex]H_0[/itex] in the second commutator, it is correct.

My question is, what's the condition for the second commutator stands?
Is it correct for all the Hamiltonian, or just the special one such as [itex]H_I[/itex]?
If it is just for some special Hamiltonian, What is the key properties of such Hamiltonian to satisfy that commutator?

Thanks
Robert

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Robert_G said:
[itex][a,H_{I}]=\frac{\partial}{\partial a^{\dagger}}H_I[/itex]
This is the thing I do not understand.

My question is, what's the condition for the second commutator stands?
Is it correct for all the Hamiltonian, or just the special one such as [itex]H_I[/itex]?
If it is just for some special Hamiltonian, What is the key properties of such Hamiltonian to satisfy that commutator?
Let ##f(z)## be any complex-analytic function of ##z##. Then it can be proven that $$[a , f(a^\dagger) ] ~=~ \frac{\partial f(a^\dagger)}{\partial a^\dagger} ~.$$(Actually, there might also be some factors of ##i \hbar## depending on your convention for the commutation relations.)

It's fairly easy to prove this by induction if ##f## is a polynomial. For more general analytic functions, one must work a bit harder.

This can be extended to functions like ##f(a, a^\dagger)## provided you're careful with the operator ordering.

Likes 1 person

Related to A Commutator of annihilation operator

1. What is a commutator of annihilation operator?

A commutator of annihilation operator is a mathematical operation used in quantum mechanics to describe the relationship between two operators that represent physical observables. It is defined as the difference between the product of two operators and the product of the operators in reverse order.

2. How is the commutator of annihilation operator used in quantum mechanics?

The commutator of annihilation operator is used to calculate the uncertainty in the measurement of two physical observables. It is also used to derive equations of motion and to determine the energy spectrum of a quantum system.

3. What is the significance of the commutator of annihilation operator?

The commutator of annihilation operator is significant because it describes the fundamental property of non-commutativity in quantum mechanics. This means that the order in which two operators are applied can affect the outcome of a measurement.

4. Can the commutator of annihilation operator be simplified?

Yes, the commutator of annihilation operator can be simplified using the properties of commutativity and linearity. This can help in solving mathematical equations and deriving new relationships between physical observables.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the commutator of annihilation operator?

Yes, the commutator of annihilation operator is used in various fields such as quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum field theory. It is also used in the study of particle physics and the behavior of subatomic particles.