A CNC machine designer for my hobby project?

In summary, you could try finding a CNC machine designer who is experienced in traditional CNC machines or someone who can teach you about electronics and CNC machine programming.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
Any ideas about where I can hire a CNC machine designer for a personal (non-commercial) hobby project? I've emailed various people who are prominent (at least on the web) in hobby CNC designs and have received zero responses. Maybe my ideas are too wierd.

My interest is in the programming aspect. I want to experiment with writing programs to control a CNC machine beginning at the lowest level of control ( like turn motor A 3 steps). I know that this is "reinventing the wheel" and that doesn't bother me. I want to have a CNC machine that has some primitive sensing capability, such as a pressure sensor, so the programs can make decisions based on feedback about what the current shape of the work is. I don't aspire to make any particular items with the machine. The machine could be a router for soft materials, a small machine that would fit on a desk It need not make precision parts. It should merely be usable to test if the programming works.

I'm not an electronics expert, but to me, the only novel thing about the design would be the sensor. Otherwise, I think it would be the same stuff that's in most hobby CNC machines.

Physics news on Phys.org
Where are you located?

It sounds to me like you could get started with something very basic -- perhaps scavenge parts from a couple of old flatbed scanners. I've opened a couple and found steppers motors with belt-drives to move the carriage.

(I'm not fully awake yet, so forgive me if I'm not fully comprehending your post.) :smile:

I'm in New Mexico, USA. My goal isn't to find a good build-it-yourself machine design of the type that are available. That type of machine simplifies the programming problem by being precise. You can tell it what to do and have some confidence in what is done.

My interest is having a machine with some simple feedback mechanism so I can experiment with writing programs that make the machine ask "Did I do that right? Should I re-do this part?".

I could approach this project by staring with a traditional machine, learning the basics of it - the way education normally proceeds. But I'm an old guy. Years of patient study is a path for youth. I have some understanding of electrical circuits and interfacing devices to computers, but it might take me a long time to figure out how to add a pressure sensor to an existing 4-axis machine design.

There is no royal road to geometry, but perhaps I can hire someone to pave a royal road to CNC electronics for me.

I understand your interest in experimenting with writing programs to control a CNC machine for your hobby project. It sounds like you have a clear idea of what you want to achieve and are willing to put in the effort to make it happen.

In terms of hiring a CNC machine designer for your project, I would suggest looking for individuals or companies that specialize in custom CNC designs. You may also want to consider reaching out to local makerspaces or machine shops, as they may have the expertise and resources to help you with your project.

Additionally, you could try networking with other hobbyists or attending events and workshops related to CNC machines to potentially find someone who could assist you with your project.

Regarding your concerns about your ideas being too weird, I would encourage you to not let that discourage you. Innovation often comes from thinking outside the box and trying new things. As long as your project aligns with your interests and goals, that is what matters.

In terms of the sensor aspect of your project, you may want to do some research and reach out to experts in that field to get their input and guidance. Collaboration and seeking advice from others can often lead to new and improved ideas.

Overall, I commend you for your enthusiasm and determination to pursue your hobby project. I wish you the best of luck in finding a CNC machine designer and bringing your ideas to life.

Related to A CNC machine designer for my hobby project?

1. What is a CNC machine and how does it work?

A CNC (Computer Numerical Control) machine is a computer-controlled manufacturing tool that is used to automate the process of cutting, drilling, milling, and shaping various materials. It works by following a set of programmed instructions and using precise movements to cut and shape the material into a desired design.

2. What factors should I consider when choosing a CNC machine for my hobby project?

When choosing a CNC machine for your hobby project, you should consider the size and type of materials you will be working with, the complexity of your designs, the required precision and accuracy, and your budget. It's also important to research the different types of CNC machines available and their capabilities to find the best fit for your specific project needs.

3. Can I design my own CNC machine for my hobby project?

Yes, it is possible to design your own CNC machine for your hobby project. However, it requires a certain level of technical knowledge and skills in engineering, mechanics, and programming. You will also need access to specialized tools and materials. Alternatively, you can purchase a DIY CNC machine kit and assemble it yourself.

4. How much does a CNC machine for hobby projects typically cost?

The cost of a CNC machine for hobby projects can vary greatly depending on the size, type, and capabilities of the machine. Entry-level machines can range from a few hundred dollars to a few thousand dollars, while more advanced and industrial-grade machines can cost tens of thousands of dollars. It's important to research and compare different options to find the best value for your budget.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a CNC machine for my hobby project?

Yes, there are several safety precautions that should be taken when using a CNC machine. These include wearing appropriate protective gear, such as safety glasses and gloves, ensuring the machine is properly grounded and maintained, and following all instructions and safety protocols provided by the manufacturer. It's also important to have a clear understanding of how the machine works and to always supervise its operation.