What angles will allow the football to clear the crossbar?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a placekicker attempting to kick a field goal from a distance of 26.9 m with an initial velocity of 19.8 m/s at an unknown angle above the ground. The question is to determine the range of angles, theta1 and theta2, that will allow the ball to clear a 2.74-m-high crossbar. The solution involves using equations for the horizontal and vertical components of the ball's motion, determining the time it takes for the ball to pass the goal posts, and finding the angles that will result in a height of 26.9 m or higher at that time.
terryaki
Here's a problem that I just can't seem to get. I just need to get started out.

A placekicker is about to kick a field goal. The ball is 26.9 m from the goalpost. The ball is kicked w/ a initial velocity of 19.8 m/s at an angle theta above the ground. Between what two angles, theta1 & theta2, will the ball clear the 2.74-m-high crossbar?

What am I looking for here? Do I even get the question?

This is my interpretation: What is the angle of intersection if I draw a horizontal line 2.74-m-high off the ground to the path of the ball? I'm guessing I'm going to have to use Vnaught*cos(theta). Is that what I'm supposed to figure out? If that is, how (just nudge me in the right direction)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just a nodge, right? I'll try. Do you agree the path of the ball will be a parabola? Think that if you kick the ball at a very small angle it will reach the goal very fast but it will also touch the ground very close to where you kicked it. It you kick it to high it will go up, get lost in the sunlight and still fall short of the goal that it might not even reach. So you must give it enough horizontal speed to reach the goal and enough vertical speed to clear the post. You're looking for the 2 solutions of a second degree equation with the variable sinθ

You are correct that the initial HORIZONTAL speed is v0 cos(theta) and the initial VERTICAL speed is v0 sin(theta).

You will need to write out the equations for height (y-component) and horizontal distance (x-component) of the football (I'll bet those are given in your book). Use the x- formula to determine the time, t, when the ball passes the goal posts. Now use the y- formula to determine the height at that time. Finally, determine what values of theta will make the height (at that time) 26.9 meters or more.

What is 2D kinematics with trig?

2D kinematics with trig refers to the study of motion in two dimensions (e.g. x and y axes) using trigonometric functions to analyze and solve problems.

What are the key concepts in solving 2D kinematics problems with trig?

The key concepts in solving 2D kinematics problems with trig are vector components, displacement, velocity, acceleration, and the use of trigonometric functions (such as sine, cosine, and tangent) to analyze angles and distances.

How do I approach solving a 2D kinematics problem with trig?

To solve a 2D kinematics problem with trig, first identify the known and unknown variables, then draw a diagram to visualize the problem. Next, use the appropriate equations and trigonometric functions to solve for the unknown variable.

What are some common mistakes when solving 2D kinematics problems with trig?

Some common mistakes when solving 2D kinematics problems with trig include using the wrong trigonometric function, not considering vector components, and incorrectly setting up the equations.

How can I improve my understanding of 2D kinematics with trig?

To improve your understanding of 2D kinematics with trig, practice solving various problems, seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed, and review the key concepts and equations regularly.