A childish question, even though I'm an aligator

• Thread starter Mozart
  • Start date
  • Tags
    even
In summary, the conversation discusses the position of a bowling ball in the center of the Earth, in a perfect cubic room. Despite the Earth's center being an oblate sphere, the gravitational forces inside a hollow sphere cancel out, causing the ball to hover in the center. If displaced, the ball would oscillate around the center point, as the center of a gravitating body is a stable equilibrium point.
Mozart
Alright, so I was just thinking the other day about say...a bowling ball in the center of the Earth, where the center of the Earth is sectioned off by a perfect cubic room. Now say the bowling ball was positioned in the center of that room. I was wondering where the bowling ball would fall towards. Would it just float there? Please neglect all the reasons why this experiment would be nearly impossible to perform. Just imagine...

Thank You.

Physics news on Phys.org
my guess is yes

The centre of the Earth will actually be a slightly oblate sphere, not a cube. In any event, gravity is equal in all directions, so the ball will just hover.

Danger said:
The centre of the Earth will actually be a slightly oblate sphere, not a cube. In any event, gravity is equal in all directions, so the ball will just hover.

Even better than this, if the ball were to be displaced just slightly from the center it would oscillate about the center point. In other words, the (hollowed) center of a gravitating body is a stable equilibrium point.

Parlyne said:
Even better than this, if the ball were to be displaced just slightly from the center it would oscillate about the center point. In other words, the (hollowed) center of a gravitating body is a stable equilibrium point.
As Danger points out, the gravitational forces inside a hollow sphere cancel out - no matter where inside the sphere you put the bowling ball, it will remain there.

Related to A childish question, even though I'm an aligator

1. Why would an alligator ask a childish question?

As a scientist, I can assure you that alligators do not possess the cognitive ability to ask questions. This statement is simply a metaphor to convey a sense of innocence or naivety.

2. What is the significance of this statement?

The significance of this statement depends on the context in which it is used. It could represent a character's immaturity or a situation that is considered trivial or unimportant. It could also be used as a way to bring humor or add a lighthearted tone to a conversation.

3. Is there a deeper meaning behind this phrase?

As with any metaphor, there can be various interpretations and deeper meanings attributed to it. Some may see it as a commentary on societal expectations and the pressure to conform to certain norms. Others may view it as a reminder to embrace a childlike curiosity and not take oneself too seriously.

4. Can alligators exhibit childish behavior?

Alligators, like any other animal, have their own unique behaviors and tendencies. While they may display behaviors that could be seen as playful or childlike, it is important to remember that they are wild animals and should be respected as such.

5. How does this statement relate to science?

As a scientist, I am trained to think critically and analyze information objectively. In this context, the phrase "a childish question, even though I'm an alligator" could represent the importance of maintaining a curious and open-minded approach in scientific inquiry. It reminds us to not dismiss something as trivial or insignificant, but rather to explore and seek answers with a childlike wonder and fascination.