A charged wire exerts force on a proton.

In summary, an electrically charged wire on the z axis exerts a force on a proton, which moves on the x axis. The potential energy function, U(x), is -C*ln(x) where x0 is the reference point and U(x0) = 0. To calculate the velocity at the point x = 2x0, the equation dx/dt= ±√[(2/m)(-C*ln(x))] can be used, with the initial conditions x(0) = x0 and v(0) = 0 to find the constant of integration. The time t when the proton passes the point x = 2x0 can be found by numerically approximating the integral of dx/d
joe41442

Homework Statement

An electrically charged wire on the z axis exerts a force on a proton, which moves on the x axis. The initial conditions for the proton position and velocity are:
x(0) = x0 and v(0) = 0.

The force on the proton is Fx(x) = C /x where C = 3.2×10−15 Nm.

(A) Determine the potential energy function, U(x). Choose x0 to be the reference point; i.e., U(x0) = 0.
(B) Calculate the velocity v at the time when the proton passes the point x = 2 x0.
(C) Calculate the time t when the proton passes the point x = 2 x0. Assume x0 = 1 m.

Homework Equations

E= (1/2)m*v^2 + U(x)
U(x)= -∫F(x)dx
dx/dt= ±√[(2/m)(E-U(x))]

The Attempt at a Solution

In part A I integrated F(x) and got U(x)= -C*ln(x)
In part B I used dx/dt= ±√[(2/m)(-C*ln(x))]
In part C I'm trying to integrate dx/dt= ±√[(2/m)(-C*ln(x))] but I really have no idea on what to do. I looked up the integral of 1/√(lnx) on wolframalpha and it said that it integrates out to some imaginary error function? Is there some other way I could find t or x(t)?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I am a scientist and I would be happy to help you with your questions.

For part A, your integration of F(x) is correct. The potential energy function, U(x), is indeed -C*ln(x), with x0 being the reference point.

For part B, you are on the right track. The velocity at the point x = 2x0 can be calculated using the equation you provided, dx/dt= ±√[(2/m)(-C*ln(x))]. However, you will need to use the initial conditions, x(0) = x0 and v(0) = 0, to solve for the constant of integration. Once you have the velocity function, you can plug in x = 2x0 to find the velocity at that point.

For part C, you are correct in using the integral of dx/dt= ±√[(2/m)(-C*ln(x))] to find the time t. However, as you have found, this integral cannot be solved analytically. In this case, you can use numerical methods, such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule, to approximate the integral and find the time t. Alternatively, you can use a computer program, such as MATLAB or Wolfram Alpha, to solve the integral numerically for you.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions or if you need any clarification.

Scientist

Related to A charged wire exerts force on a proton.

What is a charged wire?

A charged wire is a conducting material that has an imbalance of positive or negative charges. This imbalance creates an electric field around the wire, which can interact with other charged particles in its vicinity.

What is a proton?

A proton is a subatomic particle that has a positive charge and is found in the nucleus of an atom. It is one of the basic building blocks of matter and plays a crucial role in many physical processes.

How does a charged wire exert force on a proton?

When a charged wire and a proton are in close proximity, the electric field of the wire interacts with the positive charge of the proton. This interaction causes the proton to experience a force, which can either attract or repel the proton depending on the relative charges of the wire and the proton.

What factors affect the strength of the force exerted by a charged wire on a proton?

The strength of the force exerted by a charged wire on a proton depends on the magnitude of the charges, the distance between the wire and the proton, and the properties of the medium surrounding them. In general, a stronger electric field and a closer distance will result in a greater force.

Can a charged wire exert force on other types of particles besides protons?

Yes, a charged wire can exert force on any charged particle, such as electrons, ions, or other protons. The force experienced by these particles will depend on their charges and the properties of the electric field created by the charged wire.