A charge experiencing simple harmonic motion

In summary, two positive charges +Q are held fixed a distance apart. A particle of negative charge -q and mass m is placed midway between them and released after being given a small displacement x perpendicular to the line joining them. By using the binomial theorem to find the net resultant force in the -x direction, it can be shown that the particle describes simple harmonic motion with a period of ##\sqrt{\frac{\epsilon_0 m \pi^3 d^3}{Qq}}##, where d is the distance between the two charges.
PhotonSSBM
Insights Author

Homework Statement

Two positive charges +Q are held fixed a distance apart. A particle of negative charge -q and mass m is placed midway between them, then is given a small displacement x perpendicular to the line joining them and released. Show that the particle describes simple harmonic motion of period:

##\sqrt{\frac{\epsilon_0 m \pi^3 d^3}{Qq}}##

Homework Equations

##T = 2\pi\sqrt{m/k}##
##F = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \frac{Qq}{r^2} = -kx##

The Attempt at a Solution

I wasn't getting it to work initially by working forwards so I worked backwards from the equation:
##2\pi\sqrt{m/k} = \sqrt{\frac{\epsilon_0 m \pi^3 d^3}{Qq}}##

I knew that k was effectively F/x. so doing that I tried to get F by itself and got:

##F = \frac{2Q(-q)x}{4\pi\epsilon_0(\frac{d}{2})^3}##

with some really creative algebra.

I don't know how to get this from the original equation, but I know it's correct courtesy a hint from a friend. I know the significance of the 2 I got up top is because when you sum the forces in the x direction you get double one of the forces. I also know that at least 2 of the d/2 has to do with the distance between charges approaching that if the displacement it small. But I don't know where the x or the third d/2 come into the picture. I figure since the displacement is small we use some approximation method, but the only ones I know of are the small angle approximations for trig functions and Taylor series. Thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you try writing an expression for the force as a function of displacement from the midpoint? The midpoint is a distance d/2 from each charge Q. So if you move a distance x towards one side, what's the new distance to each charge?

To simplify the resulting expression, use the binomial theorem.

Last edited:
Doc Al said:
Why don't you try writing an expression for the force as a function of displacement from the midpoint? The midpoint is a distance d/2 from each charge Q. So if you move a distance x towards one side, what's the new distance to each charge?

To simplify the resulting expression, use the binomial theorem.
I don't know if I'm confused or you are. The displacement is perpendicular to d. So if I build an equation for the force as a function of displacement I get:

##F(x) = \frac{-2Qq}{x^2 + \frac{d^2}{4}} \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}##

What am I missing here? Am I supposed to treat x and d/2 as vector quantities?

Here's a photograph of how I've interpreted the problem geometrically.:

Attachments

• IMG_0044.JPG
    IMG_0044.JPG
    4.7 KB · Views: 364
PhotonSSBM said:
I don't know if I'm confused or you are. The displacement is perpendicular to d.

You have interpreted the problem correctly .

PhotonSSBM said:
So if I build an equation for the force as a function of displacement I get:

What am I missing here? Am I supposed to treat x and d/2 as vector quantities?

No ,you are not supposed to treat x and d/2 as vector quantities . Instead , you need to find the net resultant force in the -x direction (i.e towards equilibrium position) . In other words find the restoring force .

You can't add the two forces algebraically .

Vibhor said:
You have interpreted the problem correctly .

No ,you are not supposed to treat x and d/2 as vector quantities . Instead , you need to find the net resultant force in the -x direction (i.e towards equilibrium position) . In other words find the restoring force .

You can't add the two forces algebraically .

Ok so if I define one force vector as:
##F(x) = \frac{-Qq}{x^2 + \frac{d^2}{4}} \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}##
then break it into it's x component
##F_x = \frac{-Qq}{x^2 + \frac{d^2}{4}} \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}cos(tan^{-1}(\frac{d}{2x}))##
which simplifies to:
##F(x) = \frac{-Qq}{x^2 + \frac{d^2}{4}} \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+\frac{d^2}{4x^2}}}##
and working some algebra in there:
##F(x) = \frac{-4Qq}{4x^2 + d^2} \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{2x}{\sqrt{4x^2 + d^2}}##
more algebra:
##F(x) = \frac{-8Qqx}{(4x^2 + d^2)^{5/2}} \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}##
Summing the x component doubles the force acting on it:
##F(x) = \frac{-16Qqx}{(4x^2 + d^2)^{5/2}} \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}##

So that's as far as I can get with algebra on that simplification. Figure now would be a good time to check if I made a mistake.

Last edited:
PhotonSSBM said:
I don't know if I'm confused or you are. The displacement is perpendicular to d.
Well, I am often confused, but not here. (When I said " if you move a distance x towards one side" I mean a perpendicular distance.)

PhotonSSBM said:
So if I build an equation for the force as a function of displacement I get:

What am I missing here?
Your equation for the force is almost right. Realize that only the component of the force from each charge in the direction of the displacement will contribute to the net force on the charge q. (This is the same point that Vibhor made.)

PhotonSSBM said:
more algebra:
##F(x) = \frac{-8Qqx}{(4x^2 + d^2)^{5/2}} \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}##
Check that exponent (5/2) in the denominator.

Awesome. Then for small x I get the equation I wanted at the start. Thanks guys.

Related to A charge experiencing simple harmonic motion

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium and acts in the opposite direction of the displacement. In simpler terms, it is a back and forth motion that follows a specific pattern.

2. What causes a charge to experience simple harmonic motion?

A charge can experience simple harmonic motion when it is subjected to a restoring force that is proportional to its displacement. This can occur in systems such as a charge attached to a spring, or in an electric circuit with a capacitor and inductor.

3. How is the period of simple harmonic motion calculated?

The period of simple harmonic motion is calculated using the formula T=2π√m/k, where T is the period, m is the mass of the object, and k is the spring constant or the reciprocal of the capacitance in the case of an electric circuit.

4. What is the relationship between simple harmonic motion and frequency?

The frequency of simple harmonic motion is the number of complete cycles or oscillations that occur per unit time. It is inversely proportional to the period, meaning that as the frequency increases, the period decreases and vice versa.

5. How does amplitude affect simple harmonic motion?

The amplitude of simple harmonic motion is the maximum displacement from equilibrium. It does not affect the period or frequency of the motion, but it does affect the maximum potential energy and the maximum kinetic energy of the system.