Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

A challenging Integral

sbhatnagar

Jan 27, 2012
Evaluate the integral

\[ \int \frac{\sin(x)-\cos(x)}{(\sin{(x)}+\cos{(x)})\sqrt{\sin(x)\cos(x)+ \sin^2(x)\cos^2(x)}} dx\]

The problem above is not necessarily difficult; however, it can be almost impossible to evaluate if one doesn’t know the right “trick”.

Siron

Jan 28, 2012
I would do the following:
Let \[\sin(x)+\cos(x)=t \Rightarrow [\cos(x)-\sin(x)]dx=dt \Rightarrow -[(\sin(x)-\cos(x)]dx=dt \Rightarrow [\sin(x)-\cos(x)]dx=-dt \]
and \[\sin(x)\cos(x)=\frac{t^2-1}{2} \]

Thus, the integral becomes:
\[ - \int \frac{dt}{t\sqrt{\frac{t^2-1}{2}\left(1+\frac{t^2-1}{2}\right)}}=-2 \int \frac{dt}{t\sqrt{t^4-1}}=\frac{-1}{2} \int \frac{4t^3}{t^4\sqrt{t^4-1}}\]

Let \[ t^4-1= u \Rightarrow 4t^3dt=du \] so the integral becomes:
\[ \frac{-1}{2} \int \frac{du}{(u+1)\sqrt{u}}=-\arctan(\sqrt{u})\]

Doing the back-substitution we obtain:
\[- \arctan\left(\sqrt{[\sin(x)+\cos(x)]^4-1}\right)+C\]

I'm not sure my attempt is correct.

Last edited:

sbhatnagar

Jan 27, 2012
Hi Siron! You made it. Here's my idea:

\[ \begin{align*} \int \frac{\sin(x)-\cos(x)}{(\sin{(x)}+\cos{(x)})\sqrt{\sin(x)\cos(x)+ \sin^2(x)\cos^2(x)}} dx &= -\int \frac{\cos^2(x)-\sin^2(x)}{(1+2\sin{(x)}\cos{(x)})\sqrt{\sin(x) \cos(x)(\sin(x)\cos(x)+1)}} dx\\ &= -\int \frac{\cos(2x)}{(1+\sin(2x))\sqrt{\frac{\sin(2x)}{2} \left( \frac{\sin(2x)}{2}+1 \right)}} dx \\ &= -\int \frac{2\cos(2x)}{(1+\sin(2x))\sqrt{\sin(2x)(\sin(2x)+2)}} dx\end{align*}\]

By the substitution \( u=1+\sin(2x) \),

\[ -\int \frac{1}{u\sqrt{u^2-1}}du =-\sec^{-1}(u)+C=-\sec^{-1}(\sin(2x)+1)+C \]

Last edited:

oasi

Mar 14, 2012
Hi Siron! You made it. Here's my idea:

\[ \begin{align*} \int \frac{\sin(x)-\cos(x)}{(\sin{(x)}+\cos{(x)})\sqrt{\sin(x)\cos(x)+ \sin^2(x)\cos^2(x)}} dx &= -\int \frac{\cos^2(x)-\sin^2(x)}{(1+2\sin{(x)}\cos{(x)})\sqrt{\sin(x) \cos(x)(\sin(x)\cos(x)+1)}} dx\\ &= -\int \frac{\cos(2x)}{(1+\sin(2x))\sqrt{\frac{\sin(2x)}{2} \left( \frac{\sin(2x)}{2}+1 \right)}} dx \\ &= -\int \frac{2\cos(2x)}{(1+\sin(2x))\sqrt{\sin(2x)(\sin(2x)+2)}} dx\end{align*}\]

By the substitution \( u=1+\sin(2x) \),

\[ -\int \frac{1}{u\sqrt{u^2-1}}du =-\sec^{-1}(u)+C=-\sec^{-1}(\sin(2x)+1)+C \]
why we chose u=1+\sin(2x)

sbhatnagar

Jan 27, 2012

Krizalid

Feb 9, 2012
I wouldn't consider that argument enough to say why it works, and actually, the answer is very simple, for the one who asked why it works, just check the integrand, and see the derivative of the substitution involved, everything works nicely.