A car on black ice is on a banked road

• Thread starter x86
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Ice
In summary, the conversation discusses the forces causing acceleration for a stationary car on black ice on a banked road. The options are the horizontal and vertical components of the normal force and gravity. While the horizontal component of the normal force may make sense, the answer is most likely gravity (gsinx) as the normal force is a reaction force and is orthogonal to the direction of acceleration. Some argue that the resultant of all three forces is the cause of acceleration, but for a high school physics course, gravity would be enough as the answer.

Homework Statement

A stationary car on black ice (no friction) is on a banked road and begins to experience some acceleration. What force is causing the acceleration?

a) The horizontal component of the normal force
b) The vertical component of the normal force
c) Gravity

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This confused me, because the answer is clearly gravity (gsinx) but the horizontal component of the normal force also does make sense.

So is the answer a or c? From my understanding the normal force is only a reaction force... but it does make sense; say the normal force is applied at some angle; then isn't it possible for its x or y components to cause acceleration?

I'm not sure which is correct for bank turns, because I've learned that the horizontal component is from gravity (gsinx) but some websites say its the normal force (Nsinx). What would be the force in this scenario?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In my view it's the resultant of all 3. Do you have to pick one?
If I had to pick one I'd say gravity, on the basis that the normal force is orthogonal to the direction of acceleration.

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
In my view it's the resultant of all 3. Do you have to pick one?
If I had to pick one I'd say gravity, on the basis that the normal force is orthogonal to the direction of acceleration.

Yes we have to pick one. It's a high school physics course so I guess gravity doing it would be enough

I would say gravity as well.

Likes 1 person

The correct answer would be c) Gravity. While the horizontal component of the normal force may contribute to the acceleration, it is ultimately the force of gravity that is causing the car to accelerate on the banked road. This is because gravity is the force that is pulling the car down towards the ground, causing it to move in a circular path on the banked road. The normal force, on the other hand, is the force that is perpendicular to the surface of the road and is simply balancing out the force of gravity to keep the car from sinking into the road. Therefore, while the normal force may have a component that contributes to the acceleration, it is ultimately gravity that is the main force causing the car to accelerate on the banked road.

Related to A car on black ice is on a banked road

1. What is black ice?

Black ice is a thin, transparent layer of ice that forms on road surfaces, making it difficult to see and creating extremely slippery driving conditions.

2. How does black ice form on a banked road?

Black ice can form on a banked road when the road has a slight incline or slope, causing any moisture or precipitation to collect on one side and freeze into a thin layer of ice.

3. Why is driving on black ice on a banked road dangerous?

Driving on black ice on a banked road is dangerous because the slope of the road combined with the slippery surface can cause a loss of control of the vehicle, resulting in accidents and collisions.

4. What precautions should be taken when driving on black ice on a banked road?

When driving on black ice on a banked road, it is important to slow down and avoid sudden movements or braking. It is also recommended to use winter tires with good tread and to maintain a safe distance from other vehicles.

5. How can black ice on a banked road be prevented?

Preventing black ice on a banked road is difficult, as it is a natural occurrence. However, road salt, sand, or other de-icing chemicals can be used to melt the ice and improve traction. Regularly checking and maintaining proper drainage on the road can also help prevent black ice formation.