A British Concorde and a French Concorde leave, going in the same direction

• Thread starter TNewC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Direction
In summary, the British Concorde and the French Concorde both travel a distance of 40,000 km. The British Concorde spends half of its distance at a speed of 2500 km/hr and the other half at a speed of 1000 km/hr. The French Concorde spends half of its total time at a speed of 2500 km/hr and the other half at a speed of 1000 km/hr. To determine which one arrived at their destination first, we need to solve for the total time for the French Concorde, which can be expressed as 40000 = 2500(t_t/2) + 1000(t_t/2). Solving for t_t/
TNewC

Homework Statement

Both Concords are going 40 000 km.
The British Concorde spends half its DISTANCE at 2500 km/hr, and the other half at 1000 km/hr. The French Concorde spends half it's TIME at 2500 km/hr, and the other half at 1000 km/ hr. Which one arrived at their destination first?

Homework Equations

d=vt

The Attempt at a Solution

I can do the calculations for the British Concorde, to find time, but I can't quite figure out how to do the calculations for the French Concorde. Please help? The only thing I can think of is this:
1/2t=40 000km/2500 km/hr for the first half of the time
Which is 16 hours, and then:
1/2t=40 000 km/1000 km/hr
Which is 40 hours

What I can't figure out, is whether to divide them both by 1/2 then add, or just add them together. Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi TNewC,

Well I think actually you have approached the way of solving for the French Concorde slightly wrong. So let's think through the step by step, the combined distance traveled by the French Concorde (FC) at both speeds equals 40,000 km, which is what you didn't do in your attempt, you can't consider the distances traveled at different speeds separately.

So let us say that the distance traveled at 2500 km/hr is D1 and the distance traveled at 1000 km/hr is D2. So we have:

[tex]
40000 = D_1 + D_2
[/tex]

But can express D1 and D2 in another way as shown by the equation you put:

[tex]
40000 = 2500\left(\frac{t_t}{2}\right) + 1000\left(\frac{t_t}{2}\right)
[/tex]

There hopefully you can see I have replaced D1 and D2 with vt, where v is their respective speeds and t = tt/2 because they spend half the total time at these speeds. Note that I have written tt, meaning total time, instead of just t, to distinguish between the variable t in the equation d = vt and the time for this problem.

Now ill leave you there, hopefully you can see now it simply boils down to solving this simple equation for t :D, have fun TNewC

Thank you so much Galadirith! I really appreciate your answer, and you've managed to explain it all quite clearly. I actually understand it now :D

Related to A British Concorde and a French Concorde leave, going in the same direction

1. What is a Concorde?

A Concorde is a supersonic passenger airliner that was jointly developed and manufactured by British and French companies during the 1960s and 1970s.

2. What is the difference between a British Concorde and a French Concorde?

The British Concorde was developed and built by British Aerospace and the French Concorde was developed and built by Aerospatiale. The main difference between the two was in their engines, with the British Concorde using Rolls-Royce engines and the French Concorde using SNECMA engines.

3. How fast did the Concorde fly?

The Concorde had a maximum speed of Mach 2.04 (1,354 mph or 2,179 km/h), which is twice the speed of sound.

4. What route did the British and French Concorde take?

The Concorde typically flew between London and New York, with a flight time of around 3.5 hours. It also flew to other destinations such as Paris, Washington D.C., and Barbados.

5. Why did the Concorde stop flying?

The Concorde stopped flying in 2003 due to a combination of factors, including rising maintenance costs, a decline in air travel after the 9/11 attacks, and a fatal crash in 2000. Additionally, the development of more fuel-efficient and cost-effective aircraft made the Concorde less competitive in the market.