A body only rotates on an inclined plane if it has friction?

In summary: But angular acceleration about a point on the ground is zero, and linear acceleration about a point is also zero. So angular acceleration about the centre of mass is equal to linear acceleration about the point of contact.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
I think that the answer probably will be yes, but i have a question:
Well, with respect to center of mass that's right, but if i choose the axis passing through the contact point, the weight force will produce torque, even without the friction.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you "move the axis of rotation to the contact point", it is constrained by the plane so that it cannot rotate. As such, can it really be declared an axis of rotation?

LCSphysicist said:
Homework Statement:: .
Relevant Equations:: .

I think that the answer probably will be yes, but i have a question:
Well, with respect to center of mass that's right, but if i choose the axis passing through the contact point, the weight force will produce torque, even without the friction.
Torque about what point, and what shape of body?

If you take the mass centre as the axis, the weight does not produce torque. For a cylinder, the normal force won't either. With no friction, there is no force producing torque.

If you take the point of contact as axis the weight does have torque, so there will be angular acceleration about that point. But linear acceleration of a body constitutes angular acceleration about a point not in its line of motion, so this still does not ensure rotational acceleration.

If the body is not a sphere or cylinder nor lying on a flat face then the normal force might have moment about the mass centre.

haruspex said:
Torque about what point, and what shape of body?

If you take the mass centre as the axis, the weight does not produce torque. For a cylinder, the normal force won't either. With no friction, there is no force producing torque.

If you take the point of contact as axis the weight does have torque, so there will be angular acceleration about that point. But linear acceleration of a body constitutes angular acceleration about a point not in its line of motion, so this still does not ensure rotational acceleration.

If the body is not a sphere or cylinder nor lying on a flat face then the normal force might have moment about the mass centre.
" point. But linear acceleration of a body constitutes angular acceleration about a point not in its line of motion, so this still does not ensure rotational acceleration "
I can't get this part, can you say more about this?

LCSphysicist said:
" point. But linear acceleration of a body constitutes angular acceleration about a point not in its line of motion, so this still does not ensure rotational acceleration "
I can't get this part, can you say more about this?
Consider a particle moving horizontally with velocity v, height h, mass m. Wrt a point on the ground it has angular velocity vh and angular momentum mvh. Similarly angular acceleration and linear acceleration.

Related to A body only rotates on an inclined plane if it has friction?

1. What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a flat surface that is tilted at an angle, which allows objects to move up or down with less force than if they were moving on a vertical surface.

2. Why does a body only rotate on an inclined plane if it has friction?

Friction is the force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. On an inclined plane, friction prevents the body from sliding down the surface, allowing it to rotate instead.

3. How does friction affect the rotation of a body on an inclined plane?

Friction creates a torque, or rotational force, on the body as it moves down the inclined plane. This torque causes the body to rotate instead of sliding down the surface.

4. Can a body rotate on an inclined plane without friction?

No, a body cannot rotate on an inclined plane without friction. Without friction, the body would simply slide down the surface instead of rotating.

5. What other factors can affect the rotation of a body on an inclined plane?

Besides friction, the angle of the inclined plane and the mass and shape of the body can also affect its rotation. A steeper angle or a heavier and more irregularly shaped body will require more friction to rotate on an inclined plane.