A block with springs and friction

In summary: Also, the value for friction should be negative since it acts in the opposite direction of the applied force. In summary, the conversation discusses a block of mass 5kg attached to a spring with a spring constant of 200N/m and a displacement of 10cm from its equilibrium length. The question asks to calculate the force on the block due to the stretched spring and the maximum force that can be applied to the block while it remains at rest. The solution involves using the equations F=-kx and Ff=\mu*Fn, and the final answers are 20N and 17.43N, respectively.
fallen186

Homework Statement

A block of mass 5kg is attached to a spring with a spring constant, k = 200N/m, and hangs down so that it rests on a table as shown below.(Sorry no picture) This causes the spring to strech by 10 cm from its equilibrium length. Assume the static coefficient of friction between the table and block is 0.6. An external force, F, is applied in the positive x-direction, as shown.

b. calculate the force on the block due to the stretched spring.
d. Calculate maximum force,F, that canbe applied to the block such that the block will continue to remain at rest.

Homework Equations

F=-kx
Ff=[tex]\mu[/tex]*Fn

The Attempt at a Solution

b. F=-kx
F=-200N/m * .1m
F=20N

d.5kg*9.81m/s^2 - 20N = 29.05N
Ff=[tex]\mu[/tex]*Fn
Ff=.6*29.05N
Ff=17.43N

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it hanging by the spring vertically? and if so I assume the .1m is the displacement from equilibrium position. In which case your answer is seeming correct. the normal determines friction which is W-T (treating spring as a tension force naturally) So your answer should be correct, assuming I understand the question. Do you know if it is wrong or right?

Mthees08 said:
Is it hanging by the spring vertically? and if so I assume the .1m is the displacement from equilibrium position. In which case your answer is seeming correct. the normal determines friction which is W-T (treating spring as a tension force naturally) So your answer should be correct, assuming I understand the question. Do you know if it is wrong or right?

The string is vertical and i don't have the answer which is why I'm trying to see if it's right.

Your answer, to the best of my knowledge is correct. You properly found the normal and friction is based on the normal. So you are correct

I believe this is correct. My only concern that really jumped out at me was that the force due to the spring needed to be subtracted from m*g (force due to gravity) to give a correct value for the normal force.

Related to A block with springs and friction

1. What is a block with springs and friction?

A block with springs and friction is a physical system that consists of a block attached to one or more springs and placed on a surface with friction. The springs provide a restoring force, while friction opposes the motion of the block.

2. What is the purpose of studying a block with springs and friction?

Studying a block with springs and friction allows scientists to understand and analyze the behavior of systems with similar characteristics. It also helps in the development of mathematical models and theories that can be applied to other physical systems.

3. How does the spring constant affect the motion of the block?

The spring constant is a measure of the stiffness of the spring. A higher spring constant means that the spring is more resistant to deformation, which results in a stronger restoring force and faster motion of the block.

4. What factors affect the amount of friction experienced by the block?

The amount of friction experienced by the block can be affected by factors such as the roughness of the surface, the weight of the block, and the normal force acting on the block. Other factors like temperature and the type of material can also affect friction.

5. How is the motion of the block affected by the presence of friction?

The presence of friction will cause the motion of the block to gradually decrease due to the opposing force. This results in a decrease in the amplitude and frequency of the block's oscillation until it eventually comes to a stop. The amount of friction also affects the equilibrium position of the block.