A block on the platform of an acceleratin truck

In summary, the problem involves a block on an accelerating truck with a coefficient of static friction of 0.25. The goal is to find the minimum time for the truck to accelerate so that the block does not slide. Using the equations x=½at^2 and F=ma, the solution involves finding the maximum acceleration of the block and then calculating the minimum time. The only force accelerating the block is static friction and the truck and block accelerate at the same rate. A bit of review is recommended before the final exam.
lep11

Homework Statement

A block is on the platform of an accelerating truck. The coefficient of static friction between the block and the platform is 0,25. What is the minimum time in which the truck can accelerate so that the block won't slide. During the acceleration the truck travels 75 meters.

This was a bit difficult at first sight but I know I have to find the max acceleration of the block and then calculate the minimum time using equation x=½at^2.

Homework Equations

displacement x=½at^2
F=ma
Fμ=Nμ=mgμ

The Attempt at a Solution

ƩFx=ma
Fμ=ma
mgμ=ma
a=gμ=...Eventually I got ~7,8s.
I suppose the only force accelerating the block is static friction, am I right? And truck and block are accelerating at the same rate. I used to be good at these but...well...maybe I need little revision before the final exam.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
lep11 said:
This was a bit difficult at first sight but I know I have to find the max acceleration of the block and then calculate the minimum time using equation x=½at^2.
Right. (Assuming the truck starts from rest.)
I suppose the only force accelerating the block is static friction, am I right? And truck and block are accelerating at the same rate.
Right.
I used to be good at these but...well...maybe I need little revision before the final exam.
A bit of review never hurts.

Thank you for a quick reply. I forgot to mention it starts from rest.

Related to A block on the platform of an acceleratin truck

1. What is a block on the platform of an accelerating truck?

A block on the platform of an accelerating truck refers to a physical object or material that is placed on a platform attached to a truck, and experiences an acceleration due to the motion of the truck.

2. How does the block on the platform of an accelerating truck move?

The block on the platform of an accelerating truck moves in the same direction as the truck, due to the force of acceleration acting on it.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of the block on the platform of an accelerating truck?

The acceleration of the block on the platform of an accelerating truck can be affected by the mass of the block, the force of acceleration applied by the truck, and any external forces acting on the block.

4. How does the acceleration of the truck affect the block on its platform?

The acceleration of the truck directly affects the acceleration of the block on its platform, as they are both connected and experience the same acceleration force.

5. What happens to the block on the platform of an accelerating truck when the truck stops accelerating?

When the truck stops accelerating, the block on its platform will continue to move forward at a constant velocity, until acted upon by an external force or the truck comes to a complete stop.