Solving a Simple Physics Question: Mass of Bridge Needed to Find Rope Tension

• Thread starter jazzchan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: Yes, the tension in the rope is equal to the weight of the hanging mass - in this case, the 110 kg mass at point B.
jazzchan
hi everyone...

I am new comer and new for phsyics..

I have a problem for the following question.

/|
/ |
/ mass
/
/__________
A B

From point A to B is a simple bridge mad from uniform 6 m long platorm. A rope of negligible mass is attached to other end point A. this rope passess over a smaill frictionless pulley and supports a 110 kg mass on its other end. The angle between the rope and the bridge is 30 deg.

would u let me know the mass of the bridge is necessary to consdier to find the tension of the rope ??

I know it is a very simple question...but it is hard for me ..a poor old man...

thanks a lot..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't fully understand the problem, but if the system is in equilibrium the tension in the rope must equal the weight of the hanging mass.

the question said that the bridge at point B is frictionless hinge and mass is 110 kg.

is it mean there is a frictionless support at point B ?? if yes...i think i shall consider the mg of the bridge and the reaction force at point B

is right ??

thanks..

Yes, a "frictionless hinge at B" means the B-end of the bridge is fixed in place but that the angle can change (that's the hinge part). Find the torque around B and set it equal to 0.
(Since you are taking the torque "around B" you don't need to worry about the force at that end. The two forces involved are the vertical component of force due to the 110 kg mass and the weight of the bridge which, since it is uniform, you take to be concentrated at the middle.

(and don't "poor old man" me. I'll bet I could beat you in both the "poor" and "old" departments!)

od u mean that the tension of the rope

the toque = +T*L*sin 30 - mass of the bridge *g*L/2 - mass of 110kg*g = 0 ??
is right ??

thanks

1. What is the definition of physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It aims to explain and understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of the physical world.

2. What are the basic principles of physics?

The basic principles of physics include the laws of motion, energy conservation, and the universal law of gravitation. Other fundamental concepts include force, momentum, and the conservation of mass.

3. What is the difference between classical and modern physics?

Classical physics refers to the laws and principles developed by scientists such as Isaac Newton and Galileo Galilei, which were used to explain the behavior of objects at normal speeds and scales. Modern physics, on the other hand, includes theories like relativity and quantum mechanics, which are used to understand the behavior of objects at high speeds and small scales.

4. How does physics apply to everyday life?

Physics has a wide range of applications in everyday life. For example, understanding the principles of gravity and motion helps us to design and build structures such as bridges and buildings that can withstand different forces. The principles of electricity and magnetism are used in the development of technology, such as computers and smartphones.

5. What are some common misconceptions about physics?

Some common misconceptions about physics include the belief that it only deals with complex mathematical equations, or that it is only relevant to scientists and engineers. In reality, physics is a fascinating subject that can be understood and applied by anyone, and it is relevant to many aspects of our daily lives.