A basic algebra question (no calculator)

In summary, to simplify 3√-27x^6, we first rewrite it as (-27x^6)^(1/3). Then, we use the property that (a^m)^n = a^(mn) to simplify -27^(1/3) as -3^(3*1/3) = -3. Therefore, the simplified form is -3x^2.
Naga360

Homework Statement

Simplify 3√-27x^6

I'm very confused on how to evaluate what -27^(1/3) is without a calculator. I think I'm fine with the other steps. if someone could explain this to me I would really appreciate it.

The Attempt at a Solution

= 3√-27x^6
= (-27x^6)^(1/3)
= -27^(1/3)x^2

Physics news on Phys.org
Naga360 said:

Homework Statement

Simplify 3√-27x^6

I'm very confused on how to evaluate what -27^(1/3) is without a calculator. I think I'm fine with the other steps. if someone could explain this to me I would really appreciate it.

The Attempt at a Solution

= 3√-27x^6
= (-27x^6)^(1/3)
= -27^(1/3)x^2

[itex]-27^\frac{1}{3} = -3^{3*\frac{1}{3}}[/itex]

oh I get it now thanks a lot :)

Related to A basic algebra question (no calculator)

1. What is basic algebra?

Basic algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the manipulation of symbols and the solving of equations to find the values of unknown quantities.

2. What are the basic algebraic operations?

The basic algebraic operations are addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These operations are used to combine terms and solve equations.

3. Can you solve a basic algebra problem without a calculator?

Yes, you can solve a basic algebra problem without a calculator by using mental math or pen and paper methods, such as the order of operations and factoring.

4. What is the order of operations in basic algebra?

The order of operations in basic algebra is: parentheses, exponents, multiplication and division (from left to right), addition and subtraction (from left to right).

5. How do I know if my algebraic solution is correct?

You can check the correctness of your algebraic solution by substituting the found values back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. Additionally, you can use a calculator to verify your answer.