A 9.0 killogram mass and a 3.0 kg mass are at rest on a frictionless

In summary, a 9.0 kilogram mass and a 3.0 kg mass are initially at rest on a frictionless table, held together by a thread and a compressed massless spring. When the thread breaks, the 9.0 kg mass moves to the left with a velocity of 2.0 m/s. Since the masses are initially at rest, the momentum of the system is zero. Therefore, the force on the 3.0 kg mass will cause it to move at 3 times the speed of the 9.0 kg mass, resulting in a velocity of 6.0 m/s.
scbeturner
1. a 9.0 killogram mass and a 3.0 kg mass are at rest on a frictionless table. A massless spring is compressed between the masses, which are held together by a thread. The thread breaks and the 9.0 kg mass moves to the left with a velocity of 2.0 m/s. Find the velocity of the 3.0 kg mass.

2, m1v1+m2v2=(m1+m2)v3

3. 9(2)+3
18+0=12v3
v3=1.5m/s
this was my original attempt, but i realize it is not solving for the velocity of the 3.0kg mass but i don't know what else to do

Physics news on Phys.org

What does v3 mean? ehild

It stands for the final combined velocity but i am not sure if this equation is right for this problem.

No, it is not the final combined velocity. Read the problem: the final velocity of one mass is 2 m/s and you need to find the velocity of the other mass. So there is no combined final velocity. But what do you know about of the initial velocities? Do the masses move?

ehild

The masses are initially at rest and then they move in opposite directions

scbeturner said:
The masses are initially at rest and then they move in opposite directions

What is the momentum of the system then?

ehild

The force that moves the blocks after the thread breaks?

scbeturner said:
1. a 9.0 killogram mass and a 3.0 kg mass are at rest on a frictionless table. A massless spring is compressed between the masses, which are held together by a thread. The thread breaks and the 9.0 kg mass moves to the left with a velocity of 2.0 m/s. Find the velocity of the 3.0 kg mass.

2, m1v1+m2v2=(m1+m2)v3

3. 9(2)+3
18+0=12v3
v3=1.5m/s
this was my original attempt, but i realize it is not solving for the velocity of the 3.0kg mass but i don't know what else to do

The spring will apply the same sized force on each mass - but opposite in direction.

because the masses are 9kg and 3 kg, the effect of the force on the 3 kg mass will give 3 times the acceleration it causes to the 9kg mass.

That means the 3kg mass will be traveling at 3 times the speed of the 9kg mass at all times.

It sounds like after a while the masses have moved away from the spring. By then the 9 kg mass has accelerated to 2.0 m/s

What do you think that means for the 3 kg mass?

That its speed is 6m/s?

scbeturner said:
That its speed is 6m/s?

That sounds entirely reasonable!

Thank you so much!:)

Related to A 9.0 killogram mass and a 3.0 kg mass are at rest on a frictionless

1. What is the total mass of the objects?

The total mass of the objects is 12.0 kilograms.

2. What is the acceleration of the objects?

Since the objects are at rest, there is no acceleration.

3. Why is friction considered negligible in this scenario?

Friction is considered negligible because it is assumed that the surface on which the objects are resting is completely smooth and there is no force acting against the motion of the objects.

4. How does the mass affect the force required to move the objects?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the force required to move an object is directly proportional to its mass. Therefore, the 9.0 kg mass would require three times more force than the 3.0 kg mass to achieve the same acceleration.

5. Can this scenario exist in real life?

In theory, this scenario can exist in a vacuum where there is no air resistance or any other external forces acting on the objects. However, in reality, it is impossible to eliminate all sources of friction and achieve a completely frictionless environment.