A 5.0 kg block pushed 3 m up a vertical wall

In summary, the block is pushed 3.0 m up a vertical wall with constant speed by a constant force of magnitude F applied at an angle of theta = 30 degrees with the horizontal. mu kenetic = .30 between wall and block. The force of mass X gravity is one force, plus the force applied, and the friction must be taken into account.
Trista
This 5.0 kg block is pushed 3.0 m up a vertical wall with constant speed by a constant force of magnitude F applied at an angle of theta = 30 degrees with the horizontal. mu kenetic = .30 between wall and block. I need to a). determine the work done by F, b) the force of gravity and c) the normal force between block and wall, and d) by how much does the gravitational potential energy increase during the blocks motion?
I think I figured out the triangle as follows: x element is 2.28, y element (of course) is 3.0 m , and r = 4.56. I'm not even sure if those are correct. In any case, the normal force would be zero because its vertical, right? So, the force of mass X gravity is one force, plus the force applied, and the friction must be taken into account.
:eek:
Don't I need to solve for the F first, before finding work? I wish this were easier for me! I have more homework than this, and its taking all day!
Thank you for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Find the force F first, yes.

Resolve the force F into horizontal and vertical components.
Since the movement is with constant velocity, that means there is no acceleration therefore no net force. i.e. all the forces must balance.

If you balance the horizontal and vertical forces, you should be able to solve for F.

Ok, let's give this a try:
F horiz = n-w sin 60 degrees n= normal force, w = weight (mg)
F vert = mg(mu) m= mass, g= gravity mu = .30
so, I set them equal to each other?
F horz = F vert
Is this the right track? Thank you for helping, I feel like I'm getting really close to understanding this thing.

Trista said:
F horiz = n-w sin 60 degrees n= normal force, w = weight (mg)
F vert = mg(mu) m= mass, g= gravity mu = .30
so, I set them equal to each other?
F horz = F vert
Is this the right track? ...
I'm afraid not :frown:
That may have been my mistake. When I said
If you balance the horizontal and vertical forces, ...
I didn't mean with each other.

When the horizontal forces, say, balance, that means that they (the horizontal forces) balance with each other. All the forces acting to the right balance (are equal to) all the forces acting to the left.
So,

[tex]\Sigma F_{horiz} = 0[/tex]
[tex]N - Wsin(60) = 0[/tex]

Also,

[tex]\Sigma F_{vert} = 0[/tex]

You need to find all the vertical forces acting on the block. Then balance them. All the upward acting forces are equal to all the downward acting forces.

OK, I got it now

Thank you, I think I have it now. I appreciate your help.

Related to A 5.0 kg block pushed 3 m up a vertical wall

1. What is the gravitational potential energy of the block at the top of the wall?

The gravitational potential energy of the block can be calculated using the formula PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the block (5.0 kg), g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and h is the height the block is lifted (3 m). Therefore, the gravitational potential energy would be 147 J.

2. How much work is done in pushing the block up the wall?

The work done in pushing the block up the wall can be calculated using the formula W = Fd, where F is the force applied (in this case, the force of gravity pulling the block down), and d is the distance the block is moved (3 m). Since the block is moving vertically, the force of gravity can be expressed as mg, where m is the mass of the block and g is the acceleration due to gravity. Therefore, the work done would be W = (5.0 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)(3 m) = 147 J.

3. What is the speed of the block at the top of the wall?

The speed of the block at the top of the wall can be calculated using the formula v^2 = u^2 + 2as, where v is the final velocity (which is 0 m/s at the top of the wall), u is the initial velocity (which is also 0 m/s), a is the acceleration (which is -9.8 m/s^2 due to gravity), and s is the displacement (which is 3 m). Therefore, the speed of the block at the top of the wall would be 6.26 m/s.

4. How much power is required to push the block up the wall in 5 seconds?

The power required to push the block up the wall can be calculated using the formula P = W/t, where W is the work done (147 J) and t is the time taken (5 seconds). Therefore, the power required would be 29.4 watts.

5. What is the block's potential energy when it is halfway up the wall?

The block's potential energy at any point during its ascent can be calculated using the formula PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the block (5.0 kg), g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and h is the height the block is at. Since the block is halfway up the wall (1.5 m), the potential energy would be PE = (5.0 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)(1.5 m) = 73.5 J.