A 3rd method of finding wavelength in a double slit

In summary, the wavelength of light used to create the interference pattern was found to be 0.059 meters.
LionLieOn

Homework Statement

Upon using Thomas young’s double slit experiment to obtain measurements, the following data were obtain. Use these data to determine the wavelength of light being used to create the interference pattern. Do this in three different ways (6)
• the angle to the eighth maximum is 1.12◦
• the distance from the slit to the screen is 302cm
• the distance from the first minimum to the fifth minimum is 2.95cm
• the distance between the slit is 0.00025cm

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found 2 ways of finding the wavelength using the formulas

Change in x = L (Lambda) / d

and

m(Lambda)= (d)(sin Theta subscript m)

For my third method i thought about using the formula

m(Lambda)= (d)xm/ L

the problem is I was not given xm sincexm is the distance from a point on a antinodal line to the right bisector.

However, I was told by my friend that since the 8th antinodal is provided and that "change in x" is easily obtainable, xmcan be found by just multiplying the 2 together.

which would look like

change in x = 0.007375 (Converted to Meters from cm)
8th antinodal = 8

0.007375(8) = 0.059

therefore
xm= 0.059 meters

Is my friend right?

Attachments

• Attempt46.jpg
    Attempt46.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 559
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please define the variables you use. L, ##\lambda## and d are clear, what is everything else?

What is 0.059 meters? Certainly not the wavelength.

The third method has to be very similar to one of the other two methods, you don't have enough given values for three completely independent methods. Distance between slits and distance to the screen alone doesn't tell you anything about the wavelength, the given angle leads to one method, the given separation between minima leads to the second method.

mfb said:
Please define the variables you use. L, ##\lambda## and d are clear, what is everything else?

What is 0.059 meters? Certainly not the wavelength.

The third method has to be very similar to one of the other two methods, you don't have enough given values for three completely independent methods. Distance between slits and distance to the screen alone doesn't tell you anything about the wavelength, the given angle leads to one method, the given separation between minima leads to the second method.
Sorry, I was in a rush and I thought I attached my work when I posted. My work should be in the attachments now.

Method 2 and 3 are nearly identical, they just differ by a factor 8 in both numerator and denominator.

mfb said:
Method 2 and 3 are nearly identical, they just differ by a factor 8 in both numerator and denominator.

should I use a different one ?

See post #2: No matter what you do, two methods will look very similar. I guess the shown "third method" is as good as it gets.

mfb said:
See post #2: No matter what you do, two methods will look very similar. I guess the shown "third method" is as good as it gets.

Ahh ok.

Thank you so much for reviewing my work! I really appreciate it.

Related to A 3rd method of finding wavelength in a double slit

1. How does the third method of finding wavelength in a double slit work?

The third method of finding wavelength in a double slit is known as the "diffraction grating method". It involves using a diffraction grating, which is a series of closely spaced parallel slits, to disperse the light from the double slit. By measuring the distance between the bright fringes produced by the diffraction grating, the wavelength of the light can be calculated using the equation λ = dsinθ, where d is the distance between the slits and θ is the angle between the central bright fringe and the first-order fringe.

2. How accurate is the third method compared to other methods of finding wavelength in a double slit?

The diffraction grating method is considered to be the most accurate method of finding wavelength in a double slit. This is because it produces a very fine and clear interference pattern, allowing for precise measurements of the distance between fringes. Additionally, the equation λ = dsinθ is very accurate and has been extensively tested and verified.

3. Can the third method be used with any type of light source?

Yes, the third method of finding wavelength in a double slit can be used with any type of light source, as long as the light is coherent (i.e. has a consistent wavelength). This includes both natural and artificial sources of light, such as sunlight, incandescent bulbs, and lasers.

4. Is the third method affected by experimental errors?

Like any scientific experiment, the diffraction grating method can be affected by experimental errors. Some potential sources of error include measuring the distance between fringes inaccurately, using a diffraction grating with imperfections, or not accounting for the angle of the diffraction grating in the calculation. However, with careful experimental design and multiple measurements, these errors can be minimized.

5. Are there any limitations to the third method of finding wavelength in a double slit?

One limitation of the diffraction grating method is that it requires a diffraction grating, which may not be readily available in all laboratories. Additionally, the diffraction grating must have a large number of slits for accurate measurements, which may be difficult to find. Lastly, the third method is only applicable to double slit experiments, so it cannot be used for other types of interference patterns.