A 2.0 kg block is released from rest on a frictionless 30 degree incline.

In summary: Then, the elastic potential energy is dissipated as kinetic energy of the particles in the spring, and finally the gravitational potential energy is restored as the object falls back down the incline.
joanneleeee

Homework Statement

A 2.0 kg block is released from rest on a frictionless 30 degree incline. After sliding 0.80 m it comes in contact with the spring, and after sliding an additional 0.20 m, it comes momentarily to rest. What is the spring constant?

I knew that spring constant is equal to the force it takes to compress a spring over the distance the spring compresses. I thought that the force would just be mg which is 2.0x9.8=19.6, and I just divided that value by 0.20 to get 98 N/m, but my teacher told me that that isn't the correct answer...

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that the slope of the incline must be considered. The force that the block applies to the spring is not [itex]mg[/itex] but [itex]mg \cos(\theta)[/itex], so the spring constant is [itex]k=\frac{mg \cos(\theta)}{x}[/itex].

Hopefully this will provide you with the correct answer!

joanneleeee said:
I knew that spring constant is equal to the force it takes to compress a spring over the distance the spring compresses. I thought that the force would just be mg which is 2.0x9.8=19.6, and I just divided that value by 0.20 to get 98 N/m, but my teacher told me that that isn't the correct answer...

Strictly speaking, the spring constant is equal to the force exerted by the spring divided by the compression distance. What you said is only true if the external force causes the object to reach a stationary position, for then the spring force would exactly balance the external force and thus the two would be equal in magnitude. But this is not an equilibrium situation; right afterward, the spring would uncompress and start pushing the object back up the incline.

In these situations you should use a conservation of energy approach. The initial gravitational potential energy of the object is converted fully into elastic potential energy of the spring at the moment of maximum compression.

Related to A 2.0 kg block is released from rest on a frictionless 30 degree incline.

1. What is the acceleration of the block?

The acceleration of the block can be calculated using the formula a = gsinθ, where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2) and θ is the angle of incline (30 degrees). Thus, the acceleration of the block is approximately 4.9 m/s^2.

2. What is the total force acting on the block?

Since the block is on a frictionless incline, the only force acting on it is its weight (mg), where m is the mass of the block and g is the acceleration due to gravity. Therefore, the total force acting on the block is approximately 19.6 N (2 kg x 9.8 m/s^2).

3. What is the speed of the block after it has traveled 2 meters?

The speed of the block can be calculated using the formula v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity (which is 0 m/s since the block is released from rest), a is the acceleration, and t is the time traveled. Since the block is on a frictionless incline, the acceleration remains constant at 4.9 m/s^2. Therefore, after traveling 2 meters, the speed of the block is approximately 6.3 m/s.

4. What is the kinetic energy of the block when it reaches the bottom of the incline?

The kinetic energy of the block can be calculated using the formula KE = 1/2mv^2, where m is the mass of the block and v is its velocity. At the bottom of the incline, the block has a velocity of 6.3 m/s (calculated in the previous question). Therefore, the kinetic energy of the block is approximately 39.1 J.

5. What is the time taken for the block to reach the bottom of the incline?

The time taken for the block to reach the bottom of the incline can be calculated using the formula t = √(2s/a), where s is the distance traveled and a is the acceleration. In this case, s is the length of the incline (2 meters) and a is the acceleration (4.9 m/s^2). Therefore, the time taken for the block to reach the bottom of the incline is approximately 0.64 seconds.