Antibiotics, bacteria, etc

• Thread starter aychamo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bacteria
In summary: Antibiotics are not selective to a specific strain, they kill anything that is sensitive to them. But some antibiotics might be more specific to gram + or gram - bacteria.And a third, bonus question.. :) Since lymph removes wastes, water, WBCs, etc from tissue, and exercise really helps lymph move, would it stand to reason that if you don't exercise/move around for a long period of time to say that you would experience a lot of edema in the body? Is that why your feet tend to feel "fat" at the end of a long airplane ride? Would you look "skinnier" after a hard workout that problem got a ton of lymph moved back into the circulatory system?
aychamo
Hey guys, I have two questions:

1. My friends niece was brought into the hospital last night with suspect of spinal meningitis. They don't know if it is bacterial or viral yet. The doctor went ahead and started treating the niece with antibiotics, but they think (and are hoping) it is viral because viral is the most common and the least dangerous of the two.

My question is, can antibiotics help at all with a virus? I know antibiotics target bacteria, not virus. I know that viruses use a cell's machinery to reproduce, so is this the point of the antibiotics? Can you target the specific type of cell or bacteria that the meningitis causing virus would use to reproduce in?

---

2. I recently had strep throat. I know strep is a gram positive bacteria, and was given a broad spectrum antibiotic, along with steroids, etc, to treat this problem.

First, when the doctor looked at my throat, he noticed a lot of puss on my (palatine??) tonsils. Is this the action of neutrophils phagocytosing the strep out of my tissue? Also, since the tonsils are lymph organs, is this why there was so much "activity" here?

Second, isn't it common for strep to live in the throat? If so, how do you get strep throat? Is it a different species/strain of strep that is the bad one? Or is it just an "overgrowth" of it?

Third, how does the antibiotics that I was given kill the strep? I know there is tons other bacteria in my body that need to live, so how does the broad spectrum just kill the disease causing strep? I know that the broad spectrum just really targeted the gram (+), but isn't there other gram (+) in my body that need to live?

---

And a third, bonus question.. :) Since lymph removes wastes, water, WBCs, etc from tissue, and exercise really helps lymph move, would it stand to reason that if you don't exercise/move around for a long period of time to say that you would experience a lot of edema in the body? Is that why your feet tend to feel "fat" at the end of a long airplane ride? Would you look "skinnier" after a hard workout that problem got a ton of lymph moved back into the circulatory system?

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
aychamo said:
Hey guys, I have two questions:
My question is, can antibiotics help at all with a virus? I know antibiotics target bacteria, not virus. I know that viruses use a cell's machinery to reproduce, so is this the point of the antibiotics?

The antibiotics are given as preventive measure rather than to cure because by the time they reaslize it is a bacteria it might be too late to start the treatment. Antibiotics will not kill any virus.

aychamo said:
Can you target the specific type of cell or bacteria that the meningitis causing virus would use to reproduce in?

Usually antiviral drugs will target viral enzyme that are need for its production. These enzyme tends to be absent or different enough from the cellular enzyme. You do not want to target the cell directly because it might have some nasty side effects. Infected cell can express viral protein/receptor on their surface and these can be used as a target for the drugs to be ingested by the cell. Human virus will not infect bacteria and reproduce.

aychamo said:
First, when the doctor looked at my throat, he noticed a lot of puss on my (palatine??) tonsils. Is this the action of neutrophils phagocytosing the strep out of my tissue?

Puss is white blood cell agragating at a site of infection. Theferore they are trying to phagocytose the strep.

aychamo said:
Also, since the tonsils are lymph organs, is this why there was so much "activity" here?

Yes, if you touch your tonsil during infection they are usually inflated. Sometimes, depending of the location of infection, one tonsil might be inflated whereas the other is not.

aychamo said:
Second, isn't it common for strep to live in the throat? If so, how do you get strep throat? Is it a different species/strain of strep that is the bad one? Or is it just an "overgrowth" of it?

No, strep or any bacteria are not in your throat if you are healty. Strep are in your nose and nasopharynx and strep throat is due to bacteria moving in lower due to many reasons. Sometimes you may get infected with a new strain/species of strep and it takes over the microflora. Some strain are more virulent than other and when you are under immunological stress these strain migth over take your system because your immune system cannot fight.

aychamo said:
Third, how does the antibiotics that I was given kill the strep? I know there is tons other bacteria in my body that need to live, so how does the broad spectrum just kill the disease causing strep? I know that the broad spectrum just really targeted the gram (+), but isn't there other gram (+) in my body that need to live?

Any bacteria that is sensitive to the antibiotics will be kill, good or bad. Killing mechanism of antibiotics will depend on it natural but basicaly, some antibiotics stop protein synthesis, other disrup cell membrane and other form pores and lyse the bacteria.

1. Antibiotics are only effective against bacterial infections, not viral infections. Viruses use a cell's machinery to reproduce, as you mentioned, so antibiotics would not be able to target the specific cells or bacteria that the meningitis causing virus would use. The reason why the doctor may have started antibiotics is to prevent any secondary bacterial infections that may occur while the body is fighting off the virus. It is important to determine if the meningitis is bacterial or viral in order to properly treat it.

2. Yes, the puss on your tonsils is a result of neutrophils phagocytosing the strep bacteria. The tonsils are lymph organs and play a role in the immune response, which is why there may be a lot of activity there during an infection. Strep bacteria can live in the throat without causing an infection, but when there is an overgrowth or an immune system that is weakened, it can cause strep throat. There are different strains of strep bacteria, and some are more virulent or harmful than others.

The antibiotics you were given target the cell walls of bacteria, which is why they are effective against strep. The broad spectrum antibiotic may also target other types of bacteria, but the body also has ways of controlling bacterial populations. It is important to finish the full course of antibiotics to ensure all the bacteria are killed.

Bonus: Yes, exercise can help move lymph and prevent edema in the body. The lymphatic system relies on movement and muscle contraction to circulate lymph throughout the body. Long periods of immobility, such as on a long airplane ride, can cause fluid buildup in the legs and feet. Exercise can help move lymph back into the circulatory system and reduce swelling. However, exercise alone may not be enough to reduce edema caused by other health conditions.

1. What are antibiotics and how do they work?

Antibiotics are drugs that fight infections caused by bacteria. They work by either killing the bacteria or stopping them from reproducing, which allows the body's immune system to eradicate the infection.

2. Are antibiotics effective against viruses?

No, antibiotics only work against bacterial infections. They do not have any effect on viruses, which require different types of medication for treatment.

3. How do bacteria become resistant to antibiotics?

Bacteria can become resistant to antibiotics through natural selection. When exposed to antibiotics, the bacteria that are not affected or killed will reproduce and pass on their resistance to their offspring. This process can also occur through overuse or misuse of antibiotics.

4. How can we prevent antibiotic resistance?

To prevent antibiotic resistance, it is important to use antibiotics only when necessary and as prescribed by a doctor. It is also important to complete the full course of antibiotics and not share them with others. Additionally, practicing good hygiene, such as washing hands regularly, can help prevent the spread of infections and reduce the need for antibiotics.

5. Can antibiotics have side effects?

Yes, like any medication, antibiotics can have side effects. Common side effects include nausea, diarrhea, and allergic reactions. It is important to discuss any concerns or potential side effects with a healthcare professional before starting an antibiotic treatment.