Exploring the Dimensions of Our World: Are There More Than Just 3?

• Thread starter Tom McCurdy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of dimensions and how they are perceived in mathematics and physics. The discussion touches on the idea that dimensions can exist beyond the traditional three spatial dimensions, with references to string theory and fractals. There is also a debate about whether 2-dimensional or 1-dimensional objects can be considered real in our 3-dimensional world.
Tom McCurdy
Dimensions War--

This is something that I thought about in 9th grade in geometry and decided it would be nice to see what others thought

Remember Geometry?
I do... sort of...
I remember sitting there boreed as the teacher rambled off and I would start to either
a. play nibbles
b. sleep
3. think

on the occational choice 3, I began to think about some of the work that I was supose to be doing... it was stuff finding the area of various 2-d shapes. I quickly finished the worksheet the correct way, then frustrated with how much this work resmembled "busy" work I decided to prevoke conflict as I liked to do so often. I asked for a new sheet and filled in 0 for every answer. My logic was as follows. Nothing in the world can be anything less than 3 dimensions to be a part of this physical world. If it only had had one or 2 then it would be missing the third. Thefore when you rotate an object to the dimension that it would be missing it would have 0 for a width. Therefore the object could not exist. I argued with my teacher that measure of area should be considered with a standard unit width of one... No mater what the suface area is... it needed a surface and in order to meet this need it needed all 3 dimisnions... save 2 dimensional and one dimensional objects fot bed time stories. The teacher never really gave me a straight answer... but fromt hen I just tried to write up a paper, however being in 9th grade I got tired of writing it... but the just was that since nothing could just have 2 dimensions or one, that anything less thatn 2 dimensional was imaginary...

However then came physics in which i took a keen interest in the idea of string theory and folded dimensions with models of something like Kalabe Yao Shapes (pronounced that way obviously by now u realize i am not great in english especailly in spelling) with shapes up to 11 dimensions.

My question is how many dimensions are there, and are the 11 dimensions in string theroy predicted differnt from the 3 spatial dimensions. Also how is time lumped into the dimensional category. It seems to stick out like a sore thumb. True you can be x,y,z at 5:00 pm however others describe shape versus time being lumped in as a location. It seems to be similar and yet very differnt at the same time.

Well that's my thought for the day...

Maybe I will add more later.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
And whoever said geometry lessons taught you nothing?

K_

I know nothing about string theory (ashamed) but i think i can answer your question.
As you may know there is mathematicall models, and physical models. In mathematical models you can have as many dimensions as you want, say 600. Those models are used to solve problmes. I'll give you an example: When you try to find peformance of an car, you'll find that it is dependent on various factors like temperature, weight of the car, efficiency of the engine, humidity, type of the tires, type of the road etc...
When you attempt to draw a graph of the performance you'd need as many dimensions as the number of factors +1. You can think of it this way, you have all the factors as inputs, and they result in one output which is the performance of the car
( F(x,y,z,k,...,a)= performance).
Also, there is something which is called fractals, which are incomplete dimensions if I'm right. I never studied them cause I'm a computer eng. major. Basicaly fractals are when you have 1.5 dimensions, 3.4- and so on..so dimensions don't only exist in whole numbers...

Now comin to the physical world, we only use mathematical models to try to get the best approximation as we could get to explain a certain phenomenon. And that's why prolly in physics they use the 11th and 12th dimension. (My last argument could be wrong because i dont' have insight in those fields).

thank you for your response... however actually the model in physics does refer to 11 real dimensions not only for mathematics purposes, but they describe physical wrapped dimensions. I am still wondering about how 2 dim and 1 dim objects could be real... it seems they must be imaginary. Again thank you for your response.

It's better to have more peeps answering this question, cause i kinda felt that my responce wasn't perfect.

Tom;

You state that if a 2 dim object can not be real because we are in a 3d world, then shouldn't you also state that 3d objects can not be real because we are in a 11d world?

Actually no aychamo, besides the normal 3 spatial dimensions, the other dimensions do not interact of the same level. 4d is time, there is a 4th spatial dimension, but that isn't envolved. Since the other d's don't nessesarially involve "space" or distance, or spatial dimension, it is not correct to say that a 3d object can't be present in a 11d, or 10d world. If that was true, then we wouldn't exist, so obviously the others allow for the 3spacial to exist along with them, and that is required in the universe for there to be that many.

correct me if I'm wrong.

Aye, I agree with you. I was making an inference from the logic that Tom was using. Tom said that 2d objects shouldn't exist in a 3d world.

The units used to measure the objects are two dimensional (m^2) and not three dimensional (m^3) so the value is non-zero.

And the questions don't say "make up extra rules here". It's pretty clear what they want you to answer.

I mean honestly, I could use the same argument for saying 3d objects don't exist, or 4d. Or 5d. If seen from a 6d perspective.

1. What is "3-d A thought from 9th grade"?

"3-d A thought from 9th grade" is a phrase that refers to a specific thought or idea that someone had during their 9th grade year of high school. It may have been a significant or memorable thought that has stayed with them throughout their life.

2. Why is it called "3-d"?

The term "3-d" is used to indicate that the thought or idea is multidimensional, or has multiple layers of meaning and complexity. It suggests that the thought goes beyond just a simple surface level understanding.

3. Is there a specific meaning behind this phrase?

The meaning behind "3-d A thought from 9th grade" can vary depending on the individual who came up with the thought. It may hold personal significance or it could be a general reflection on the complexities of thoughts and ideas.

4. How does this relate to science?

This phrase may not have a direct connection to science, but it could be interpreted as a representation of the complexity and depth of scientific thinking and ideas. It could also serve as a reminder to always think critically and consider multiple perspectives when exploring scientific concepts.

5. Can this phrase be applied to other areas of life?

Yes, the phrase "3-d A thought from 9th grade" can be applied to any area of life where thoughts and ideas may have multiple layers of meaning and complexity. It could be used in literature, philosophy, psychology, and many other fields where critical thinking and analysis are involved.