Your Brain on Racism -or Guilt?

• Thread starter selfAdjoint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain
In summary: Their racism has manifested itself in the form of killings, maiming, and the removal of limbs from whole families. Originally posted by Carlos Hernandez So many of the discussions in these areas turn on a numerate/nonnumerate distinction. People who can't follow the math conclude it's all mumbo-jumbo and either start quoting their favorite guru or just ranting and blaming the messenger. It's just the same, but not nearly so dangerous to society, with physics cranks. I was just really curious as to why they automatically only thought of looking for white racism and not other types of racism. Political convenience? Of course it's PC. It
selfAdjoint
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
http://www.carlzimmer.com/blog/C1015037710/E1377996308/index.html [Broken] on exciting work being done with tMRI. A careful analysis of research that shows that being a racist slows you down on cognitive tasks - or does it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by selfAdjoint
http://www.carlzimmer.com/blog/C1015037710/E1377996308/index.html [Broken] on exciting work being done with tMRI. A careful analysis of research that shows that being a racist slows you down on cognitive tasks - or does it?

Why did they only test for White racism? Why not for non-white racism? They could have showed pictures of Whites to Blacks, or pictures Arabs to Jews and vice versa, or pictures of Chinese to Japanese or vice versa. It would be interesting to compare the results.

Carlos Hernandez

Last edited by a moderator:
Carlos, that post reminds me of part of James Heckman's critique of the Bell Curve (because I am just reviewing his paper). Criticising a piece of research and saying why didn't do it the way I would have done it. One answer to both questions is that in each case this was really the first research of its kind, so of course it wasn't yet a complete program. And second, the other scientists aren't you, and their priorities don't necessarily coincide with yours. The fact that a study isn't in somebody else's pattern does not invalidate the positive results that it obtained.

All the things you suggested were good topics for further study, and I have no doubt they will eventually be studied.

Originally posted by selfAdjoint
Carlos, that post reminds me of part of James Heckman's critique of the Bell Curve (because I am just reviewing his paper). Criticising a piece of research and saying why didn't do it the way I would have done it. One answer to both questions is that in each case this was really the first research of its kind, so of course it wasn't yet a complete program. And second, the other scientists aren't you, and their priorities don't necessarily coincide with yours. The fact that a study isn't in somebody else's pattern does not invalidate the positive results that it obtained.

All the things you suggested were good topics for further study, and I have no doubt they will eventually be studied.

I agree with you that my comments don't invalidate the research. I was just really curious as to why they automatically only thought of looking for white racism and not other types of racism. Political convenience? But I do see your point: often, "rebuttals" to racial books include asking "what is the researchers motives?" as opposed to actually looking at the data itself. red herrings, I believe?

Originally posted by Carlos Hernandez
I agree with you that my comments don't invalidate the research. I was just really curious as to why they automatically only thought of looking for white racism and not other types of racism. Political convenience? But I do see your point: often, "rebuttals" to racial books include asking "what is the researchers motives?" as opposed to actually looking at the data itself. red herrings, I believe?

So many of the discussions in these areas turn on a numerate/nonnumerate distinction. People who can't follow the math conclude it's all mumbo-jumbo and either start quoting their favorite guru or just ranting and blaming the messenger. It's just the same, but not nearly so dangerous to society, with physics cranks.

Originally posted by Carlos Hernandez
I was just really curious as to why they automatically only thought of looking for white racism and not other types of racism. Political convenience?

Of course it's PC. It's been said that only the group in power can be racist so the researchers only wanted to prove that point. But one can assume that the same conclusion could be had by testing other racial/ethnic groups. People tend to flock to their own kind and view those outside the tribe suspiciously at first.

I suggest that everyone on this planet is racist to a degree whether they choose to admit it or not. It is what has enabled humans to survive and groups to stay in power in their own environment. What is detrimental to a mixed society is whether their racism includes physical harm or roadblocks to economic inclusion for those able to compete.

Take Rwanda for example, the same tribe which only makes up 14% of the population has ruled the majority (except for short periods) for hundreds if not thousands of years.

What is the effect of racism on the brain?

Racism can have detrimental effects on the brain, as it can lead to increased stress and anxiety, which can impact cognitive function. Chronic exposure to racism can also lead to changes in brain structure and function, particularly in the areas involved in emotion regulation and decision making.

How does guilt related to racism affect the brain?

Guilt related to racism can activate the same areas of the brain responsible for processing physical pain. This can lead to increased levels of stress and anxiety, which can also impact cognitive function. Guilt can also lead to changes in brain activity and structure, particularly in areas involved in self-reflection and moral decision making.

Can racism or guilt change the brain over time?

Yes, chronic exposure to racism or ongoing feelings of guilt related to racism can lead to changes in the brain over time. These changes can include alterations in brain structure, function, and connectivity, which can impact various cognitive and emotional processes.

How can we address the effects of racism and guilt on the brain?

One way to address the effects of racism and guilt on the brain is through education and awareness. By learning about the impact of racism and guilt on the brain, individuals can better understand their own thoughts and behaviors and work towards reducing biased thinking. It is also important to actively challenge and confront racist attitudes and behaviors in society.

Are there any interventions or treatments for the effects of racism and guilt on the brain?

There are currently no specific interventions or treatments for the effects of racism and guilt on the brain. However, seeking support from mental health professionals can help individuals cope with the emotional and psychological impact of racism and guilt. Engaging in practices such as mindfulness and self-care can also help to reduce stress and improve overall well-being.