Body at the center of the earth

In summary, the body at the center of the earth refers to the hypothetical idea that if a person were to dig a tunnel straight down from the surface of the earth, they would eventually reach the center, where their body would experience a state of weightlessness due to the gravitational pull from all directions being equal. However, this concept is purely theoretical as it would require digging through extremely hot temperatures and molten layers of the earth's core.
stevepark
A science mag article I read recently claimed that a body at the center of the Earth would have a very high weight. I don't see how a body at the center of the Earth would have any weight as any given mass has an equal opposite cancelling it out.
Explainations?

Physics news on Phys.org
stevepark,

Compressed by cumulative matter, it would have a high density (mass/length3), but as you point out, a symmetric cancellation in gravity making a near-zero weight~(mgr)-(mgr).

gravity at center of large mass

Thanks for your response.

According to Newton's law F=GmM/r^2, a body of mass at a distance r from the center of the Earth (assumed that all mass of the Earth has been concentrated in the center) experiences a weight F. So, as r is very small near the center of the earth, the body will experience a very large weight force F.

Originally posted by way2go
According to Newton's law F=GmM/r^2, a body of mass at a distance r from the center of the Earth (assumed that all mass of the Earth has been concentrated in the center) experiences a weight F. So, as r is very small near the center of the earth, the body will experience a very large weight force F.

No it won't. Where is the mass you are attracted by? All around you if you are at the Earth's centre. You can only assume the Earth acts as a point mass IF you are on or above the surface.

Read Loren's reply above.

Originally posted by Adrian Baker
No it won't. Where is the mass you are attracted by? All around you if you are at the Earth's centre. You can only assume the Earth acts as a point mass IF you are on or above the surface.

Read Loren's reply above.

I think Loren is quite right, but for a body at the center of the Earth r will tend to 0. According F=GmM/r^2 F will tend to infinity no matter what value M has. That's my opinion how the article should be interpreted, although Loren is also quite right.

I think Loren is quite right, but for a body at the center of the Earth r will tend to 0. According F=GmM/r^2 F will tend to infinity no matter what value M has. That's my opinion how the article should be interpreted, although Loren is also quite right.

So you are both right huh? Your weight will be both zero and infinite!
If you insist on thinking that the Earth's mass only acts like a point mass on you, DESPITE, you being in the centre of it, then your 'logic' works.
You are though wrong.

No it won't. Where is the mass you are attracted by? All around you if you are at the Earth's centre. You can only assume the Earth acts as a point mass IF you are on or above the surface

I agree with Adrian

Originally posted by Adrian Baker
So you are both right huh? Your weight will be both zero and infinite!
If you insist on thinking that the Earth's mass only acts like a point mass on you, DESPITE, you being in the centre of it, then your 'logic' works.
You are though wrong.

Yeah, OK, I admit. That makes more sense.

grtavity

If the Earth were two halves, M1 & M2, gravity at the center distance betweent them, (C=1/2D), would be 0.

M1----------C----------M2
But:
If the two halves were together, with virtually no D,

M1CM2

then the pressure of M1<-->M2 at the center would be the max the two bodies could produce, would it not?

Originally posted by stevepark
A science mag article I read recently claimed that a body at the center of the Earth would have a very high weight. I don't see how a body at the center of the Earth would have any weight as any given mass has an equal opposite cancelling it out.
Explainations?

Weight is defined as the force required to support a body in a gravitational field so that it remains at rest. Suppose you hollowed out a spherical cavity centered at the center of the Earth. Then the gravitational field inside the cavity would not only vanish at the center but everywhere inside the cavity.

If the cavity is not centered at the center of the Earth then the field is uniform and the gravitational acceleration is proportional to the distance from the center of the Earth.

See - http://www.geocities.com/physics_world/gr/grav_cavity.htm

Arcon

According to Newton's law F=GmM/r^2, a body of mass at a distance r from the center of the Earth (assumed that all mass of the Earth has been concentrated in the center) experiences a weight F.
This formula will only give the weight of an object for distances (from the Earth's center) greater than the radius of the earth.

The gravitational field inside a spherical body of mass M is
a linear function of the distance from the center,

[tex]F = \frac{GMmr}{R^3}[/tex]

where R is the radius of the sphere and r is the distance of the object (mass m) from the center. As r goes to 0, the force will vanish.

What's interesting about this is: if you had a tunnel dug through the Earth (from one side to the other), an object dropped in the hole would eventually come back out (since the force is like that of a spring, a restorative force), and so the object would exhibit simple harmonic motion.

1. What is the "body" at the center of the earth?

The body at the center of the earth refers to the inner core of our planet, which is made up of solid iron and nickel. It is approximately 1,500 miles in diameter and is surrounded by the outer core, mantle, and crust.

2. How was the "body" at the center of the earth formed?

The inner core of the earth was formed through a process called differentiation, where heavy elements sank to the center due to gravity while lighter elements rose to the surface. The intense pressure and heat at the center of the earth caused the iron and nickel to solidify into a solid state.

3. What is the temperature of the "body" at the center of the earth?

The temperature at the center of the earth is estimated to be around 5,400 degrees Celsius (9,800 degrees Fahrenheit). This extreme heat is caused by the combination of the earth's core being made of hot, molten materials and the intense pressure from the layers above it.

4. What is the impact of the "body" at the center of the earth on the planet?

The inner core of the earth plays a crucial role in the planet's geological processes. It generates the earth's magnetic field, which protects us from harmful solar radiation and guides the movement of tectonic plates. The inner core also helps to regulate the temperature of the earth's surface.

5. Can we ever reach the "body" at the center of the earth?

Currently, it is not possible for humans to reach the center of the earth. The deepest hole ever drilled, the Kola Superdeep Borehole in Russia, reached a depth of 7.5 miles, which is only 0.2% of the distance to the earth's core. The heat and pressure at the center of the earth are too extreme for any human-made materials to withstand.