60 ns delay in a faulty connection - how?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the OPERA experiment and the possibility of a faulty connection causing an additional 60 ns delay in the signal. It is pointed out that the issue is not about delays, but rather about synchronizing the clocks and understanding all the delays involved in sending and detecting the neutrinos. GPS is used to synchronize the clocks, but there could be errors in measuring the total delay, potentially causing a larger delay. It is also suggested that there could be errors in timing the generation and detection of the neutrinos due to the complex electronics involved.
Borek
Mentor
Yes, it is about OPERA experiment, but it has nothing to do with neutrinos.

Can someone try to explain how is it technically possible that faulty connection could be responsible for additional signal delay? I understand it can make the signal unreadable, but delayed by 60 ns?

Main reason I can't understand the situation is that even if the link is faulty, signal still propagates with the same speed - approximately 1 feet per 1 ns. 60 ns is equivalent 60 feet. Signal path didn't change that much. What is the source of the delay? What am I missing?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is it digital signal? If so, it might be possible that the faulty connection like a high impedance connection cause the rise time to slow way down and take a long time for signal to past the threshold to trigger the next stage. You'll see it as delay.

They are not actually sending a signal in the experiment. They "time stamp" the neutrinos at the source (i.e. they keep a record of when the pulse was sent), and time-stamp them again when they arrives at the detector.
Hence, the issue is not about delays; it is about whether or not they've managed to synchronize their clocks well enough, and if they understand all the delays involved in sending/detecting the neutrinos.

yungman said:
Is it digital signal? If so, it might be possible that the faulty connection like a high impedance connection cause the rise time to slow way down and take a long time for signal to past the threshold to trigger the next stage. You'll see it as delay.

Thanks, now I see a possible physics behind, that's what I was missing.

f95toli said:
Hence, the issue is not about delays; it is about whether or not they've managed to synchronize their clocks well enough, and if they understand all the delays involved in sending/detecting the neutrinos.

If I understand the situation correctly they used GPS to synchronize the clocks, so these lost 60 ns will mean clocks are not properly synchronized. I believe we say the same thing.

maimonides said:
FWIW: This comment on Cosmic Variance is the only hint at a reasonable explanation of the "faulty cable" I´ve seen so far.

At least it means I am not the only person wondering about it.

Borek said:
If I understand the situation correctly they used GPS to synchronize the clocks, so these lost 60 ns will mean clocks are not properly synchronized. I believe we say the same thing.

Yes, they use GPS. But the synchronization is not in "real time",which is what I thought you meant, there is no delay "compared to something" since they are not comparing two signals.
The issue is not so much the clocks themselves. it is that the total delay they have to account for in the timing is much longer than 60ns and if they've made a mistake when e.g. measuring the delay that comes from the signal traveling from the GPS antenna down into the tunnel this could -potentially- cause quite a large delay; although it is very unlikely that they would make such a huge mistake. Unless they've made a serious mistake somewhere their clocks should be synchronized to within 1 ns.

Another -in my view more likely -explanation is that there is an error in timing when it comes to generation/detection of the neutrinos; there is an awful lot of electronics between the detectors themselves and the clocks that time-stamp the data and that delay (which has to be added/subtracted from the time-stamps at each end) can be quite tricky to measure.

Related to 60 ns delay in a faulty connection - how?

1. What causes a 60 ns delay in a faulty connection?

There are several potential factors that can contribute to a 60 ns delay in a faulty connection. These include physical damage to the connection, interference from other electronic devices, or incorrect settings or configurations.

2. How can a 60 ns delay in a faulty connection be detected?

To detect a 60 ns delay in a faulty connection, you can use specialized equipment such as an oscilloscope or network analyzer. These tools can measure the signal delay and identify any abnormalities that may indicate a faulty connection.

3. Can a 60 ns delay in a faulty connection be fixed?

In some cases, a 60 ns delay in a faulty connection can be fixed by repairing or replacing the damaged components. However, if the issue is caused by external interference or incorrect settings, it may require troubleshooting and adjustment to resolve the delay.

4. How does a 60 ns delay in a faulty connection affect data transmission?

A 60 ns delay in a faulty connection can significantly impact data transmission. It can cause data to be received out of order, resulting in errors and delays in processing. In some cases, it can also lead to data loss or corruption.

5. Are there any preventive measures to avoid a 60 ns delay in a faulty connection?

Yes, there are several preventive measures that can help avoid a 60 ns delay in a faulty connection. These include regularly inspecting and maintaining connections, minimizing the use of other electronic devices nearby, and ensuring proper settings and configurations are in place.