50-Man Rowing Crew Speed & Capacity: A 12th Century Ship Analysis

In summary, the speaker is seeking information on the potential speed and duration of a 50-man rowing crew on a 12th century ship, taking into account muscle bulk and lung capacity. They also mention the need for the ship to carry 20 passengers and ask for assistance in determining the rowing capabilities of a 300-passenger crew.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I have tried to work out how fast and how long a 50 man rowing crew could go, i think it not only depends on muscle bulk but also lung capacity, this is in relation to a 12 century ship, i have little idea of the ship design but i thought if i knew the rowing capabilities of the said crew i could work backwards and guess at the ship design.
Added, the boat must be able to carry 20 passengers.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The other question is the same but with 300 passengers, i know it is a tall order , but i would be greatful if some one could help out on this problem :smile:

I appreciate your interest in analyzing the speed and capacity of a 50-man rowing crew on a 12th century ship. You are correct in considering both muscle bulk and lung capacity as important factors in determining the crew's performance. However, it is important to note that there are many other variables that can impact the speed and capacity of a rowing crew, such as the design of the boat, the weather conditions, and the skill and coordination of the crew members.

Without knowing the specific design of the ship, it would be difficult to accurately estimate the rowing capabilities of the crew. However, I would suggest looking at historical records or consulting with experts in medieval shipbuilding to gain a better understanding of the ship's design and capabilities. Additionally, considering the boat's capacity for carrying 20 passengers, it is likely that the ship was designed for both rowing and sailing, which would also affect the speed and capacity of the crew.

In terms of your approach to working backwards from the rowing capabilities of the crew, I would caution against making assumptions without sufficient evidence. It would be more scientifically sound to gather data and conduct experiments to determine the specific factors that contribute to the speed and capacity of a 12th century ship and its rowing crew. This would provide a more accurate and reliable understanding of the capabilities of the ship and its crew.

Related to 50-Man Rowing Crew Speed & Capacity: A 12th Century Ship Analysis

1. What is the significance of studying a 12th century ship's rowing crew speed and capacity?

Studying a 12th century ship's rowing crew speed and capacity can provide insight into the technological advancements and capabilities of shipbuilding during that time period. It can also help us understand the physical abilities and limitations of humans during that time period.

2. How many crew members were typically on a 12th century ship?

It is estimated that a 12th century ship would have had around 50 rowing crew members. However, this number could vary depending on the size and type of the ship.

3. What factors affected the speed and capacity of a 12th century ship's rowing crew?

The speed and capacity of a 12th century ship's rowing crew would have been affected by various factors such as the design and size of the ship, the skill level and physical strength of the crew members, and external factors such as wind and water currents.

4. How was the rowing crew organized on a 12th century ship?

The rowing crew on a 12th century ship would have been organized into teams, with each team responsible for a specific number of oars. These teams would have worked together in a coordinated manner to propel the ship forward.

5. How does the speed and capacity of a 12th century ship's rowing crew compare to modern ships?

The speed and capacity of a 12th century ship's rowing crew would have been significantly lower than modern ships due to the lack of advanced technology and propulsion methods. However, the physical endurance and strength of the rowing crew members may have been comparable to modern sailors and crew members.