How can we use a catapult to study the properties of skipping stones in physics?

• Thread starter ponjavic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    stones
In summary, a Swedish team competing in a worldwide Young Physicists tournament for K-12 students is looking for a way to prove formulas involved in the competition. Their initial idea is to create a catapult and use a camera to measure the properties of a stone after it skips on the water. However, the issue of repeatability arises due to the difficulty in controlling the dynamic orientation of the stone. It is suggested to use a spring loaded launcher with uniform circular discs and careful measurements for better repeatability. The team also discusses the importance of spinning the disc for stability.
ponjavic
We are the same Swedish team competing in a worldwide Young Physicists tournament for K-12 students.
We're currently getting a grasp of the formulas involved and meanwhile we need a way to prove them.

Or initial idea is to create some sort of catapult with which we can slung a stone at a specific angle and with a specific force. Then we study its properties after an initial skip.

Any ideas on how the expermient could be conducted and also how properties after initial jump could be gathered would be very helpful.

//Aleks

Physics news on Phys.org
Would a camera suffice for measurements?

No one with ideas? A standard PAL 24 frames/s didn't work so that will have to be skipped.
Any other ideas?

The problem with this experiment is "repeatability". Even if you can find a good way to measure the skip legths and so on, can you claim that you skipped the same stone 5 times and it gave the same results each time ? It's hard to repeatably control the dynamic orientation of the stone - especially with a catapult. And without repeatability, an experiment has no value.

If you still want to do this experiment, consider making a spring loaded launcher, with a flat take-off ramp. Also I would buy/make uniform circular discs to be used as stones. You've got to be very careful and patient if you want repeatable measurements.

I would imagine a 24 fps camera should work - as long as you capture the ripples on the water surface, you can determine the bouncing point.

Last edited:
what you recommend is actually what I've been think about, except for the fact that 1/24 didnt and won't work.

I'll try it out tomorrow if I'm able to create the perfectly circular stone...

Another problem i can't launch it from a pad as it then will tilt downwards as it hits the water it needs a / tilt in order to skip...

It's most important to get the disc spinning, or else nothing will happen.

Not true, the spinning is only for containing angles as for a gyroscope so for one throw (which the problem states i shall examine) spin is not necessary if you throw it perfectly. but naturally for a person throwing spinning is necessary.

Spinning increases the stability tremendously. If you have a perfectly designed launcher, and the air is calm when you launch, then you could get by without spinning.

1. What makes a stone skip on water?

A stone skips on water due to the surface tension of the water. When a flat stone is thrown at a low angle, it creates a pocket of air between the stone and the water's surface. This air pocket allows the stone to bounce off the water's surface multiple times.

2. How many times can a stone skip on water?

The world record for the most skips of a stone on water is 88 times, achieved by Kurt Steiner in 2013. However, the number of skips depends on various factors such as the size and shape of the stone, the angle and force of the throw, and the surface tension of the water.

3. Can any stone skip on water?

No, not all stones are suitable for skipping on water. Flat, smooth, and round stones work best for skipping as they create a low drag and air pockets when thrown at a low angle. Stones with sharp edges or irregular shapes tend to sink quickly and do not skip well.

4. Is there a technique for skipping stones?

Yes, there are several techniques for skipping stones on water. The most common technique is to hold the stone with your index finger and thumb and throw it at a low angle with a flick of the wrist. Another technique is to spin the stone like a frisbee before releasing it, which adds more speed and spin to the throw.

5. Are there any benefits to skipping stones?

Aside from being a fun outdoor activity, skipping stones can improve hand-eye coordination, concentration, and motor skills. It also provides a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment when you successfully skip a stone multiple times on water.