Logical Proof of Intelligent Design

• Thread starter Russell E. Rierson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Design Proof
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of intelligent design in relation to the universe. It argues that the universe is a creation of an intelligent mind, based on the logic that cause precedes effect and that the purpose of cause is to create an effect. The conversation also brings up the idea of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle and how it supports the notion of an intelligent universe. However, there are differing opinions on whether the universe can create itself and if there is an initial creation point in time. Ultimately, the conversation concludes that the concept of intelligent design is illogical when examined from an anthropic point of view.
Russell E. Rierson
Logical Proof of Intelligent Design:

The universe is defined as the totality of all that exists.

Within the universe, cause precedes effect.

If cause, then effect:

If A then B

A

Therefore B

The purpose of "cause" is to create an effect.

Cause and effect are mutually dependent. If there is no effect, then there is no cause:

If not B then not A,

not B

therefore not A

The universe creates its own purpose. If it did not create its own purpose, it would be totally chaotic, or, it would be totally deterministic. We observe the universe as a system with consistent laws, therefore, it is not totally chaotic.

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle explains that both the position and momentum of a particle, cannot be determined precisely, and this uncertainty is an intrinsic property of the universe, so the universe cannot be totally deterministic.

Therefore, the universe creates its own purpose.

Purpose implies intent, intent implies mind, mind implies intelligence.

If the universe is an effect, and the cause of the effect is within the universe, then the universe creates itself.

Therefore:

The universe is an intelligent mind.

Russell E. Rierson
analog57@yahoo.com

Physics news on Phys.org
i don't think something can create itself.
it can duplicate itself into something else which have the same propeties as the original but is it the same (it's like saying when you duplicate something does the duplicant the same as the original ie, the same emotions, mind etc).
i don't think we are wittenessing self creation in form of the universe who is creating itself.
if it was true how can you tell if it's not right now creating itself once more.
something creating itself is paradoxical and i think defy the cause and effect principle which gave because if universe is creating itself then the cause is the universe and the effect is the universe and thus no change has occured.
and from this it implies that you believe in the theory of fred hoyle (steady state).

Originally posted by Russell E. Rierson
The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle explains that both the position and momentum of a particle, cannot be determined precisely, and this uncertainty is an intrinsic property of the universe, so the universe cannot be totally deterministic.
Isn't it a misnomer to say that the "Heisenberg Uncertaintly Principal" assures us of anything other then the fact that we cannot measure the two items, at the same time, that does NOT mean that both don't occur simultaneously, only our ability to percieve it is limited, it is NOT a proof that the Universe actually functions that way, or that uncertainty rules in any fashion, way, manner, other then in our measuring of it.

Originally posted by Mr. Robin Parsons
Isn't it a misnomer to say that the "Heisenberg Uncertaintly Principal" assures us of anything other then the fact that we cannot measure the two items, at the same time, that does NOT mean that both don't occur simultaneously, only our ability to percieve it is limited, it is NOT a proof that the Universe actually functions that way, or that uncertainty rules in any fashion, way, manner, other then in our measuring of it.

You keep posting this, and you keep getting told that Quantum Mechanics asserts that the uncertainty lies much deeper than perception. It is built into the structure of the quantization program, via the commutation relationships which imply deep uncertainty.

It's just captious to say, well maybe it isn't the way quantum mechanics says it is, while ignoring the success quantum mechanics has had in predicting and explaining all those non intuitive experiments. Has all the discussion of Bell's inequalities and the disproof of local hidden variables theories meant nothing to you?

If the universe is an effect, and the cause of the effect is within the universe, then the universe creates itself.
Therefore:

I agree with the idea that the universe and everything around us is the creation of an intelligent mind. But how could something that did not exist beforehand create itself no matter how intelligent. Its like giving someone a brand new laptop, and when he asks you how it got there you answer, It has an intelligent mind and it created itself. He'd sure think you're giving a bad joke.:wink:

Check out this article for further evidence:
http://www.harunyahya.com/70design_nature_sci18.php

Originally posted by Yaqout
I agree with the idea that the universe and everything around us is the creation of an intelligent mind. But how could something that did not exist beforehand create itself no matter how intelligent. Its like giving someone a brand new laptop, and when he asks you how it got there you answer, It has an intelligent mind and it created itself. He'd sure think you're giving a bad joke.:wink:

Check out this article for further evidence:
http://www.harunyahya.com/70design_nature_sci18.php

I agree partially with the idea that Universe is creation of of intelligence but i also agree that Universe has no initial creation point-of-time or in time. I.e. time and physcial Universe have existed eternally.

It may be that intelligent mind via biologic incarnations exist eternally with the rest of physical Universe in order to give Universe purpose otherwise a Universe without intellgent mind(s) to observe it has no purpose.

Rybo

The only problem is, that if we do not examine the cosmos from an anthropic point of view, the concept of an intellegent designer is illogical. It leads to an infinate list of banalities.

[al]

Originally posted by Russell E. Rierson
Logical Proof of Intelligent Design:

The universe is defined as the totality of all that exists.

Within the universe, cause precedes effect.

If cause, then effect:

If A then B

A

Therefore B

The purpose of "cause" is to create an effect.

Cause and effect are mutually dependent. If there is no effect, then there is no cause:

If not B then not A,

not B

therefore not A

The universe creates its own purpose. If it did not create its own purpose, it would be totally chaotic, or, it would be totally deterministic. We observe the universe as a system with consistent laws, therefore, it is not totally chaotic.

Therefore, the universe creates its own purpose.

Purpose implies intent, intent implies mind, mind implies intelligence.

Therefore:

Russell E. Rierson
analog57@yahoo.com

Yes I can agree with your train of thougt but if the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle explains that both the position and momentum of a particle, cannot be determined precisely, and this uncertainty is an intrinsic property of the universe. Then there has to be first and observer and second a free will decision to imbed the purpose by observing.

just testing something, carry on.

Attachments

• jesus.gif
    jesus.gif
    2.6 KB · Views: 682
Nice post Russell. I am sure it ruffled some feathers here, but I wanted to suggest a site for you (and others):

www.reasons.org

Not saying I believe it, or don't believe it, but interesting nonetheless.

p.s. For people who want to know what the site is; it is a site that attempts to show how science proves the Bible true. Again, not saying one way or the other I agree, but interesting nonetheless.

(In response to the original post)

Unfortunately there seems to be a flaw in your logic, I will attempt to identify it before discussing some other problems that I had with your post.

As someone using Logic to prove Intelligent design, you are no doubt aware of the various fallacies which we must strive to avoid in the development of logical arguments. For the sake of others who may not be familiar with Logic, I cite Wesley C. Salmon's book Logic, in which he explains the fallacy of equivocation.
Multiplicity of meaning leads to logical difficulty if the same word is used in two different senses in the same argument and if the validity of the argument depends upon that word maintaining a constant meaning throughout.

(pg. 135)

This then is your cue to wonder where in the original post was this fallacy committed?

The purpose of "cause" is to create an effect
Purpose implies intent

I will show the absurdity of your argument by using the word 'purpose' in the way that you have used it in the first quotation(1), and then committing the fallacy of equivocation just as you have(2), finally we will look at the resulting apparently Logical Proof(3).

(1) The purpose of a cause is to create an effect just as much as the purpose of a stone hanging in the air is to fall. In this case, by 'purpose' you and I mean something like 'the result of'
The result of cause is the creation of an effect
The result of a stone hanging in the air is the stone to fall.
(2) According to your post, Purpose implies intelligence.
(3) This leads us to the surprising conclusion that the stone must have intelligence(B/c the stone's purpose is to fall), in fact, if every cause has a purpose (to create an effect right?) then every cause is intelligent.

The problem is that you switch from 'result of' type purpose in the first quotation to 'aim or a goal' type purpose in the second quotation.

In scanning over your post I have a few more comments to make:

The universe is defined as the totality of all that exists
Many would of course disagree with this definition, given the rising popularity of ideas such as Baby universes and eternal inflation. Technically we can disregard this point however and assume that the above definition is one that you have created for the purpose of this argument.(Like in math when you have some given from which you work a proof)

Within the universe

Given your definition of the universe it does not seem possible for there to be anything outside of the universe, therefore these words are redundant.

cause precedes effect
the universe is an effect, and the cause of the effect is within the universe

Based on your statement that cause precedes effect, it is impossible for the cause to be within the universe if the universe itself is the effect. The second quotation is fallacious if the first is true. The cause(within the universe) does not exist until after the effect exists (the universe)...Huge Problem

If it did not create its own purpose, it would be totally chaotic, or, it would be totally deterministic.
This doesn't seem to hold any meaning because of the ambiguous use of 'purpose' and 'chaotic'

That I can agree with!

I'm out of time here for now but I would love to hear what all of you have to think about my first post. I certainly hope that you (Russell) are not personally offended and can accept my suggestions and criticisms in a mature way.

Ultan

1. What is intelligent design?

Intelligent design is the belief that certain features of the universe and living organisms are best explained by an intelligent cause rather than an undirected process such as natural selection.

2. What is the logical proof for intelligent design?

The logical proof for intelligent design is based on the observation of complex and specified information in biological systems, which can only be explained by the involvement of an intelligent designer.

3. How does intelligent design differ from evolution?

Intelligent design differs from evolution in that it proposes an intelligent cause for the origin and complexity of life, while evolution suggests that life evolved through natural selection and random mutations.

4. Is intelligent design a scientific theory?

Intelligent design is not considered a scientific theory by the majority of the scientific community. This is because it is not testable or falsifiable through empirical evidence, which is a key aspect of the scientific method.

5. What evidence supports the theory of intelligent design?

The main evidence supporting the theory of intelligent design is the presence of complex and specified information in biological systems, which cannot be explained by natural processes alone. However, this evidence is highly debated and remains controversial in the scientific community.