4Sine(4X) = -8Sin(2x) Double angle identity

In summary, the conversation involves a discussion about expanding trigonometric expressions and solving equations involving trigonometric functions. The participants explore different methods and identities for expanding expressions and solving equations, including the sum and difference identities. There is also a clarification about how to expand sin(4x) as well as a reminder about the proper way to write 4sin(4x). Overall, the conversation centers around understanding and applying trigonometric concepts.
Tyrion101
I kind of understand what to do with this when there are no numbers in front of the expressions, I also kind of understand that you can rewrite 4Sine(4x) as 4Sine(2x+2x) hat do I do with the 4 and 8? In an algebra problem you could divide the 4 into the -8, then simplify that expression, am I correct in assuming that taking just sin(2x+2x) can be written as: 2Sin(x)Cos(x) + 2Sin(x)Cos(x)? Or am I way off base in all of my assumptions? The explanation in my math book doesn't explain the whole problem.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Tyrion101 said:
you could divide the 4 into the -8
Seems reasonable. You could also consider 2x as y, simplifying the innards.
Tyrion101 said:
sin(2x+2x) can be written as: 2Sin(x)Cos(x) + 2Sin(x)Cos(x)
No.

What do I do with the 2?

Tyrion101 said:
What do I do with the 2?
You mean after dividing the 4 into the 8? Leave it be for now. Concentrate on expanding the sin(4x).

Expanding the (4x) this is the bit je ne comprends pas. (I don't understand)

Tyrion101 said:
Expanding the (4x) this is the bit je ne comprends pas. (I don't understand)
How would you expand sin(2x)?

I believe it is 2Sin(x)Cos(x) but you said that that was not how you did 4x, so now I'm thinking: Sin(2x)Cos(2x) Or it could be 2SinCos but that doesn't seem right. If the middle one is correct I think I may understand now.

Tyrion101 said:
am I correct in assuming that taking just sin(2x+2x) can be written as: 2Sin(x)Cos(x) + 2Sin(x)Cos(x)?
No, and here's why. You cannot split up sin(2x + 2x) to sin(2x) + sin(2x) as if "sin" were multiplying (2x + 2x). You are confusing function notation with the distributive law, which says that a(b + c) = ab + ac.

sin(2x + 2x) is no more equal to sin(2x) + sin(2x) than is ##\sqrt{a + b}## the same as ##\sqrt{a} + \sqrt{b}##.

The gist of this problem, at least according to what you wrote in the thread title, is solve the equation 4sin(4x) = -8sin(2x).

Can you solve the equation 4sin(2y) = -8sin(y)?

Last edited:
Then I have absolutely no clue what is going on with that part of the problem, I know it relates somehow to the sum and difference identities, but the two with the x confuses me.

Likes Maged Saeed
Tyrion101 said:
Then I have absolutely no clue what is going on with that part of the problem, I know it relates somehow to the sum and difference identities, but the two with the x confuses me.

I think Mr @Mark44 is true.
Can you start solving this equation?
The only identity you need is
sin(2u)=2sin(u)cos(u)
What is the first step now?

Tyrion101 said:

The trigonometric identities for finding the sine and cosine of the sum of two angles are:

sin (α + β) = sin (α) * cos (β) + cos (α) * sin (β)
cos (α + β) = cos (α) * cos (β) - sin (α) * sin (β)

If you want to expand sin (2x) = sin (x + x), which implies that α = β = x, then

sin (2x) = sin (x) * cos (x) + cos (x) * sin (x)

sin (4x) = sin (2x + 2x), which implies α = β = 2x

I'll leave it to you to work out the rest of the expansion for sin (4x).

Tyrion101 said:
I believe it is 2Sin(x)Cos(x) but you said that that was not how you did 4x
Yes, it's 2sin(x)cos(x), and you can do 4x 'that way', but the way you extended it to 4x was wrong. Think of it as sin(2(2x)).

Related to 4Sine(4X) = -8Sin(2x) Double angle identity

What is the double angle identity for 4Sine(4X) = -8Sin(2x)?

The double angle identity for this equation is 4Sine(2X)Cos(2X) = -4Sin(2X)Cos(2X). This identity is used to simplify trigonometric equations and expressions.

How can I prove the double angle identity for 4Sine(4X) = -8Sin(2x)?

There are several ways to prove this identity, but one method is to use the sum and difference identities for sine and cosine. By expanding both sides of the equation using these identities, you can show that they are equivalent.

Why is the double angle identity important in trigonometry?

The double angle identity is important because it allows us to simplify trigonometric equations and expressions, making them easier to solve. It also allows us to find exact values for trigonometric functions at certain angles.

Can I use the double angle identity for other trigonometric functions?

Yes, the double angle identity can be used for other trigonometric functions such as cosine and tangent. The identities for these functions are: 2Cos(2X) = 1 - 2Sin^2(2X) and 2Tan(2X)= 2Tan(X)/(1-Tan^2(X)).

Are there any other identities related to the double angle identity?

Yes, there are several other identities related to the double angle identity, such as the half angle identities and the product-to-sum identities. These identities are useful for simplifying trigonometric expressions involving half angles or products of trigonometric functions.