Welding Detached Retinas with Lasers: Solving the Puzzle

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a laser to weld detached retinas, which emits pulses of 640 nm light with an average output of 0.50 W during a 25 ms pulse. The first part of the question asks about the energy deposited pre pulse, while the second part asks about the number of photons in each pulse, assuming the energy of a light particle is 3 * 10^-19 J. The solution involves using the equation E=Pt and determining the number of photons needed to give the desired energy.
wikidrox
I do not know how to do the second part of this question. I never learned this.

A laser used to weld detached retinas puts out pulses of 640 nm light, 25 ms long, which average 0.50 W output during a pulse.
i) how much energy can be deposited pre pulse?
ii) If the energy of a light particle (photon) is about 3 * 10^-19 J, how many photons does each pulse contain?

I do not know how to get this.

Physics news on Phys.org
wikidrox said:
I do not know how to do the second part of this question. I never learned this.

A laser used to weld detached retinas puts out pulses of 640 nm light, 25 ms long, which average 0.50 W output during a pulse.
i) how much energy can be deposited pre pulse?
ii) If the energy of a light particle (photon) is about 3 * 10^-19 J, how many photons does each pulse contain?

I do not know how to get this.

If you have the energy from the first part (E=Pt), and you know how much energy is in each photon, you just have to figure out how many photons give you that energy.

Etotal=N * Ephoton

No problem, let's break it down together.

i) To calculate the energy deposited per pulse, we can use the formula E= P*t, where E is energy (in joules), P is power (in watts), and t is time (in seconds). Plugging in the given values, we get E = (0.50 W)(0.025 s) = 0.0125 J. Therefore, the laser deposits 0.0125 J of energy per pulse.

ii) To calculate the number of photons, we can use the formula E= nhv, where E is energy (in joules), n is the number of photons, h is Planck's constant (6.626 x 10^-34 J*s), and v is the frequency (in Hz). We can rearrange this formula to solve for n: n = E/(hv). Plugging in the values for E and v (remember, frequency = speed of light/wavelength), we get n = (0.0125 J)/[(6.626 x 10^-34 J*s)(3 x 10^8 m/s)/(640 x 10^-9 m)] = 3.02 x 10^16 photons.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the specific calculations and equations necessary to answer this question. It would be best to consult a medical professional or an expert in laser technology for a more accurate response.

What is welding detached retinas with lasers?

Welding detached retinas with lasers is a surgical procedure used to repair a detached retina, which is a serious eye condition that can lead to vision loss if left untreated. In this procedure, a laser is used to create tiny burns around the detached area of the retina, causing it to scar and reattach to the back of the eye.

How does welding detached retinas with lasers work?

The laser used in this procedure creates small burns around the detached area of the retina, which causes it to scar and reattach to the back of the eye. This helps to seal any tears or holes in the retina, preventing further detachment and restoring vision.

Who is a good candidate for welding detached retinas with lasers?

Candidates for this procedure are typically individuals who have been diagnosed with a detached retina and have not responded to other treatments, such as cryotherapy or scleral buckling. The success of this procedure also depends on the severity and location of the detachment.

What are the risks of welding detached retinas with lasers?

As with any surgical procedure, there are some risks involved with welding detached retinas with lasers. These include bleeding, infection, and damage to the surrounding tissues. It is important to discuss these risks with your doctor before undergoing the procedure.

What is the recovery process like after welding detached retinas with lasers?

The recovery process varies for each individual, but most people are able to resume normal activities within a few days. You may experience some discomfort and blurry vision after the procedure, but this should improve over time. Your doctor will provide you with specific instructions for post-operative care and follow-up appointments.