OHM's Law Lab: Proper Meter Placement

In summary, the voltmeter was used to measure the resistance of a circuit, while the ammeter was used to measure the current. Ohm's law was used to calculate the resistance and graph the results. The voltmeter must be inserted into the circuit in parallel with the resistance, and the ammeter must be inserted into the circuit in series with the resistance.
DoctorReynaldo
OHM's Law Lab

this lab involved a voltmeter and an ammeter...a voltage source was turned on and sent to a resistor, from the resistor there was a current probe and a voltage probe...the idea of the lab was to give 6 readings for a resistor, each reading would exceed by .5v intervals...during each interval, the number in the current probe was recorded, and the number in the voltage probe was recorded...through ohm's law i computed the resistance and graphed the results...now all of that was cake until one of the analysis questions which asks..."Describe the proper placement of the voltmeter in a circuit, why must it be in parallel with the resistance. the 2nd part of the question reads, describe the proper placement of the ammeter in a circuit, why must it be in series with the resistance? any help on the question would be extremely appreciated

if you need me to clarify on anything, just let me know...i appreciate any responses

Physics news on Phys.org
When a voltmeter is use, it's necessary to take into consideration its internal resistance. In general, this resistance is enormous in comparison with the emf's internal resistance and the resistance that it's been arrange with.
The ideal voltage under these conditions should be: V=(emf)R/(R+r); but when the voltmeter is used: V=(emf)(RR(v)/(R+R(v))/(r+(RR(v)/(R+R(v)).
After doing some math the relative error is:
E(%)=(1-R(v)(R+r)/(R(v)(R+r)+Rr))x 100.
Where R(v) is the voltmeter's resistance, R is the resistance in parallel, r the emf's resistance. If R(v)-> intinity then E(%)= 0: but if R(v)->0 then E(%)~100%.
The point of having a voltmeter with a big resistance is due to protection for the device and also stoping a big current going through; so when is connected in parallel most part of the current is going to pass through the resistance parallel to it.

I hope this helps.

Voltage is a potential difference. Difference is a key word, you can only measure the change in voltage between two point, therefore 2 points are required to connect a voltmeter.

Current is the FLOW of electrons therefore you must channel the flow though the ammeter. Since you need ALL of the current flow through the meter you need to insert the meter at a single point. Note that the circiut must be broken and meter inserted, essentially replaceing a wire in the circiut.

For a Ammeter low resistence is necessary to minimize effects on the circiut being measured.

wat is an emf?

i mean what is the emf in this experiment?

It's the voltage of the source, maybe you know it as epsilon: [tex]\epsilon [/tex].

the voltmeter's purpose is clear to me now, but what about the ammeter...what is the proper placement of it in a circuit? and why must it be in series with the resistance?
i appreciate ur responses integral and wisky, they were extremely helpful

How else can I explain it? I thought what I posted above should cover it. Read my first post again, think about it.

copy and paste the part u talk about the 'ammeter'

Current is the FLOW of electrons therefore you must channel the flow though the ammeter. Since you need ALL of the current flow through the meter you need to insert the meter at a single point. Note that the circiut must be broken and meter inserted, essentially replaceing a wire in the circiut.

oh wait a sec, i mistook u for wisky, now that i reread it i get it, thx

1. What is OHM's Law and why is it important in this lab?

OHM's Law is a fundamental principle in physics that describes the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance. It is important in this lab because it helps us understand how electricity flows through a circuit and how to properly measure it.

2. What is the purpose of the "Proper Meter Placement" in this lab?

The purpose of the "Proper Meter Placement" in this lab is to ensure accurate measurements of voltage and current. Placing the meter in the correct location within the circuit is crucial in obtaining reliable data.

3. How do you determine the correct placement of the meter in the circuit?

The correct placement of the meter in the circuit can be determined by following the flow of electricity. The positive lead of the meter should be connected to the positive end of the power source, and the negative lead should be connected to the negative end of the power source.

4. What are some common mistakes when placing the meter in a circuit?

Some common mistakes when placing the meter in a circuit include connecting the leads to the wrong ends of the power source, placing the meter in parallel instead of in series, and not making sure that the circuit is properly connected before taking measurements.

5. How can the "Proper Meter Placement" affect the accuracy of the data collected in this lab?

If the meter is not placed correctly in the circuit, it can affect the accuracy of the data collected. This is because the placement of the meter affects the flow of electricity and can alter the voltage and current readings. Incorrect placement can result in inaccurate data and incorrect conclusions.