4-disk Squared Gyroscope problem

• Thread starter RicardoMP
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gyroscope
In summary, the task is to determine the angular momentum at a certain moment for a rigid, square-shaped structure with 4 rotating disks. The structure is precessing uniformly about a vertical axis and the objective is to find the angular momentum in this instant. The first attempt was to consider an inertial frame and a rotating frame, but this was not the correct approach. The next attempt was to consider the contributions of the 4 spin angular momentums of the disks and the angular momentum along the z axis, but it is unclear how to relate them to the total angular momentum. The structure's weight also produces torque, but it does not contribute to the angular momentum in this case.
RicardoMP

Homework Statement

A rigid, square-shaped, structure with negligible mass contains 4 disks in rotation as you can see in the figure. Each disk has mass m, moment of inertia I about its rotation axis and angular velocity ws. Also, the plane of the structure coincides with the horizontal plane and it can move freely about O. The system is precessing uniformly with angular velocity [tex]\Omega[/tex] about a vertical axis that goes through O. Considering the inertial frame with origin at point O, z axisperpendicular to the strutucture plane and the x axis, at a certaint moment, is along the square diagonal in the OC direction. The objective is to write the angular momentum in that instant.

The Attempt at a Solution

The first thing that came to my mind was to consider the inertial frame and a rotating frame sharing the z axis with the first frame. I was inclined to apply the rotating coordinates transformation, but quickly arrived to the conclusion that that wasn't the correct way.
Then I tried to check for all the contributions to the system's angular momentum which I suppose are the 4 spin angular momentums of the 4 disks, plus the angular momentum along the z axis. But how do I relate them with the total angular momentum? And is there any contribution I'm missing? The structure's weight produces torque, which means there is another contribution to the angular momentum, right?
I'm really sorry for the long post, but I would be really thankful if someone could give me a couple of clues for the right path to take in solving this problem.
Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• squaredgyroscope.PNG
    squaredgyroscope.PNG
    16.9 KB · Views: 528
Physics news on Phys.org
RicardoMP said:
how do I relate them with the total angular momentum?
Umm... add them vectorially?
RicardoMP said:
The structure's weight produces torque, which means there is another contribution to the angular momentum, right?
But it doesn't rotate in that direction (out of the plane)... why not, do you think?

Likes RicardoMP

Related to 4-disk Squared Gyroscope problem

What is the 4-disk squared gyroscope problem?

The 4-disk squared gyroscope problem is a classic physics problem that involves four disks arranged in a square, each rotating about its own axis and connected by a central axis. The challenge is to determine the final orientation of the disks after a certain number of rotations.

What is the significance of the 4-disk squared gyroscope problem?

The 4-disk squared gyroscope problem has been used as a teaching tool in physics to demonstrate concepts such as angular momentum, torque, and conservation of energy. It also has applications in engineering and navigation, as gyroscopes are used in many devices such as airplanes and ships.

What are the assumptions made in solving the 4-disk squared gyroscope problem?

Some of the assumptions made in solving the 4-disk squared gyroscope problem include: the disks are identical, the angular momentum of each disk remains constant, and there is no external torque acting on the system.

What are the different methods used to solve the 4-disk squared gyroscope problem?

Some of the methods used to solve the 4-disk squared gyroscope problem include: using the equations of motion, using vector algebra, and using complex numbers. Each method has its own advantages and challenges, and the choice of method depends on the problem at hand.

What are some real-life applications of the 4-disk squared gyroscope problem?

The 4-disk squared gyroscope problem has practical applications in navigation systems, such as in airplanes and ships, where gyroscopes are used to measure the orientation and rotation of the vehicle. It is also used in the design and development of gyroscopic stabilizers for cameras and other equipment that require a steady platform.