4 dimensional curl as antisymmetric matrix

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the curl of a 4-dimensional matrix using Stokes theorem. The formula for the curl involves an antisymmetric matrix with entries related to the derivatives of the components of the vector field. However, when calculating the integral over an infinitesimal square in the x-y plane, there is confusion about whether the result should be M1,2 or -M12. The curl in matrix/tensor form for 4 dimensions is described as an element of the 6-dimensional Lie algebra, specifically the ##\mathfrak{so}(4)## algebra. Further information can be found by researching this algebra or its corresponding Lie group.
purplegreen
I'm a bit confused. I'm trying to calculate the curl of a 4 dimensional matrix. It's an attempt to use stokes theorem for 4 dimensions.

The curl can be written as a antisymmetric matrix from what I understand with entries,

Mi,j = d Ai/d j - dAj/di

where i and j would be the different coordinates like x, y, z etc... However, from what I understood if you looked the integral about an infinitesimal square in the x-y plane you could work out the integral as:
(dAy/d x - dAx/dy)ΔxΔy

I was informed that this would gives M1,2 ΔxΔy
which would be wrong, you would get -M12 surely?

So how does the curl look in matrix/ tensor form for 4 dimensions?
Hopefully this makes some sense, sorry if it's a slightly confused question.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
In 4 dimensions the curl of a vector field is, geometrically, at each point an element of the ##6-##dimensional Lie algebra ##\mathfrak{so}(4)##, all skew-symmetric real matrices: ##v^*\otimes w - w^*\otimes v##.

You can search for this Lie algebra or Lie group for further information.

Related to 4 dimensional curl as antisymmetric matrix

What is a 4 dimensional curl as an antisymmetric matrix?

A 4 dimensional curl as an antisymmetric matrix is a mathematical concept used in vector calculus to describe the rotation or circulation of a vector field in four-dimensional space. It is represented by a matrix with six components, three of which are positive and three of which are negative.

Why is the antisymmetry property important in a 4 dimensional curl?

The antisymmetry property is important in a 4 dimensional curl because it ensures that the components of the matrix correspond to the correct direction of rotation. It also simplifies calculations and allows for a more intuitive understanding of the curl.

How is the 4 dimensional curl related to the 3 dimensional curl?

The 4 dimensional curl is closely related to the 3 dimensional curl, as it extends the concept of rotation from three-dimensional space to four-dimensional space. The 4 dimensional curl can be thought of as a vector quantity that represents the rotation of a vector field in four-dimensional space, while the 3 dimensional curl is a vector quantity that represents the rotation of a vector field in three-dimensional space.

What are some applications of the 4 dimensional curl as an antisymmetric matrix?

The 4 dimensional curl as an antisymmetric matrix has various applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used to describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields, fluid flow, and other physical phenomena in four-dimensional space. It is also used in differential geometry to study the geometry of four-dimensional manifolds.

How can the 4 dimensional curl be calculated and visualized?

The 4 dimensional curl can be calculated using the same principles as the 3 dimensional curl, but with the addition of an extra dimension. It can be visualized using vector field plots or by representing the six components of the antisymmetric matrix as arrows in four-dimensional space.