Exploring Carbon and Prehistoric Atmosphere on Earth: Insights and Resources

• Thread starter Pattielli
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earth
In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of carbon as the first element for determining the record of life on planets and its versatility in building biologic compounds. It also mentions the use of carbon dating and suggests looking into resources for understanding the evolution of Earth and its atmosphere.
Pattielli
I am sorry, I honestly really don't know anything about earthy things.
I have questions, would you please tell me why people say carbon is the first element to determine the record of life on planets ?

Secondly, would you please give me some details about the atmostphere in prehistoric age of our Earth ? What books would say more about this ? please give me the names for me to search my library..

Thank you very much,

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what your question about the "record of life" intends, Pattielli. But as for as chemical properties, carbon is very reactive in a complicated way, being the basis element of very complicated molecular structures. Silicium/Silicon, on the same place in the system of elements is not nearly as versatile. This is the main reason that carbon is the main element for building biologic compounds, supported by hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, Phosphor, Potassium, Calcium etc etc.

If your question is related to carbon dating, then it's a different story

To get an idea about how Earth and it's atmosphere may have evolved, this may be a good starting place. Lots of links to follow.

Thank Andre very much for your explanation,

I actually don't know much about these things, I was incorrect about them.. Thank you for pointing them out...:sm:

1. What is carbon and why is it important to study?

Carbon is a chemical element that is essential for life on Earth. It is the building block of all organic molecules and is found in all living organisms. Carbon is also a key component of the Earth's atmosphere, where it plays a crucial role in regulating the planet's climate and supporting the growth of plants through photosynthesis.

2. How has the amount of carbon in the Earth's atmosphere changed over time?

The amount of carbon in the Earth's atmosphere has fluctuated throughout history, with significant changes occurring during prehistoric times. Scientists study these changes through the analysis of carbon-containing materials such as fossils, rocks, and ice cores. These studies have shown that the Earth's atmosphere has experienced large variations in carbon levels, which have had significant impacts on the planet's climate and the evolution of life.

3. What can the study of prehistoric atmosphere tell us about the Earth's past climate?

By studying the composition of the Earth's prehistoric atmosphere, scientists can gain valuable insights into the planet's past climate. This includes information about the temperature, humidity, and atmospheric conditions, which can help us understand how the Earth's climate has changed over time. Additionally, the study of prehistoric atmosphere can also provide clues about past geological events and the evolution of life on Earth.

4. How do scientists gather data about prehistoric atmosphere?

Scientists gather data about prehistoric atmosphere through a variety of methods, including the analysis of fossils, sedimentary rocks, and ice cores. These materials contain traces of carbon and other elements that can provide information about the composition and conditions of the Earth's atmosphere in the past.

5. What resources are available for exploring carbon and prehistoric atmosphere on Earth?

There are numerous resources available for exploring carbon and prehistoric atmosphere on Earth. These include scientific research papers, textbooks, online databases, and museum exhibits. Additionally, there are also field courses and workshops that provide hands-on experience in studying prehistoric atmosphere and its impact on the Earth's climate and evolution.