Understanding Internet Connection Types: A Guide for Beginners

• Thread starter Pattielli
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Type
In summary, the conversation is about understanding the meaning of an internet connection, specifically in the context of a firewall. The person asking the question is using Zone Alarm and is curious about the meaning of the term "Adapter Subnet" in their firewall settings. They also inquire about other types of internet connections.
Pattielli
Would you please tell me what it is in an internet connection ?
I see it written in my firewall windows, I am only curious to know what it really means...
Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
What firewall are you using?

It sounds to me like you're talking about the Internet Connection firewall in XP.

The Internet connection is just that, your internet connection.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot,
I am using Zone Alarm, and my entry type is Adapter Subnet, I don't understand what it means, which is why I made the above question...
Could you tell me what Adapter Subnet is and if there are any other types or not ? If any, what are they ?

Thank you very much,

What is the difference between a dial-up and broadband internet connection?

A dial-up internet connection uses a phone line to connect to the internet, while broadband connections use cables, such as DSL or fiber optic, to connect. Dial-up connections are much slower and can only handle one task at a time, while broadband connections are faster and can handle multiple tasks simultaneously.

What is the typical speed for a broadband internet connection?

The speed of a broadband internet connection can vary depending on the type of connection and your location. However, on average, broadband connections can range from 25 Mbps to 1000 Mbps.

What is the main advantage of a wireless internet connection?

The main advantage of a wireless internet connection is its convenience. With a wireless connection, you can access the internet from anywhere within the range of your router without the need for any cables or wires. This makes it ideal for devices like laptops, tablets, and smartphones.

What is the difference between a download and upload speed?

A download speed refers to how fast data can be transferred from the internet to your device, while an upload speed refers to how fast data can be transferred from your device to the internet. Download speeds are typically faster than upload speeds, as most internet activities, such as browsing the web or streaming videos, require more downloading than uploading.

What is the best internet connection type for online gaming?

The best internet connection type for online gaming is a wired broadband connection, such as cable or fiber optic. These connections offer faster and more stable speeds, which are important for a smooth gaming experience. Wireless connections, while convenient, can be more prone to interruptions and slower speeds, which can affect gameplay.