3rd Law: Weight vs Tension (picture)

In summary, in case b the hanging block has an acceleration that is greater than in case a. This is because in case b the hanging block is connected to a mass that is also moving, and the common acceleration between them is greater.
merzperson
1. In case a in the figure block A is accelerated across a frictionless table by a hanging a 10N weight (1.02kg). In case b, block A is accelerated across a frictionless table by a steady 10N tension in the string. The string is massless, and the pulley is massless and frictionless.

Is A's acceleration in case b greater than, less than, or equal to its acceleration in case a?

07.Q15.jpg

3. I just don't see how a 10N weight differs from a constant 10N downward force on the rope. How is it that the acceleration of block A in case b is greater than in case a? I assume there is some kind of difference because in case a we are comparing two objects and in case b we just calculate the net force on block A, but I can't figure out how to do this.

Physics news on Phys.org
If T is the tension in the rope, in the first case T> 10 N. Where as in the second case T = 10 N. There fore the acceleration in case a is smaller than b.

Your reply implies that as the Tension of the rope increases, the acceleration of block A decreases. This is the exact opposite of what I would expect. Explain?

Also, could you please explain to me how the Tension in case a is greater than 10N?

Thank you.

In the first case
mg - T = 10N/g*a, where a is the common acceleration hanging weight and block A.
Similarly
T = mA*a.
In the second case T itself is 10 N.

Thank you very much for your replies. However, I am still having trouble.

I don't understand where you got the equation:
mg - T = 10N/g*a

Or for that matter the other equation. Is mA the mass of block A?

Now I do believe I understand why the tension in case a is not 10N; since the blocks are in motion, the 10N block will not have the effect of 10N. However, I do not know how to tell whether the tension will be greater than or less than 10N, and I haven't a clue how to calculate the tension. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Acceleration of the hanging mass is less than g, because it is not falling freely.
So its acceleration is given by the equation
mg - T = ma ------(1), where m is the mass of the hanging block.
Acceleration of the block is given by
T = mA*a ----(2), where mA is the mass ob block A.
Hanging block and block A must move with the same acceleration, because they are connected by a single rope. The common acceleration can be found by solving eq.1 and 2. It comes out to be
a = mg/(m + mA). = 10N/(m + mA)
In the second case acceleration of the block A is
a' = 10N/mA. Now compare the accelerations.

Related to 3rd Law: Weight vs Tension (picture)

1. What is the 3rd Law of Weight vs Tension?

The 3rd Law of Weight vs Tension states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when an object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back.

2. How does the picture illustrate the 3rd Law of Weight vs Tension?

The picture shows a rope attached to a weight on one end and a person pulling on the other end. This demonstrates the 3rd Law as the weight exerts a downward force on the rope, causing the rope to pull back with an equal and opposite tension force.

3. What is the difference between weight and tension?

Weight is the force exerted by gravity on an object, while tension is the force exerted by a string, rope, or wire when pulled from both ends. Weight is a type of force, while tension is a type of reaction force.

4. How is the 3rd Law of Weight vs Tension important in everyday life?

The 3rd Law of Weight vs Tension is important in everyday life as it explains how forces work and interact with each other. It helps us understand how objects move and why they move in certain ways.

5. Can the 3rd Law of Weight vs Tension be applied to other situations besides the one shown in the picture?

Yes, the 3rd Law of Weight vs Tension can be applied to many different situations in daily life. For example, when pushing a shopping cart, the cart exerts an equal and opposite force back on you. It also applies to more complex scenarios, such as the forces involved in rocket propulsion.