3G and 4G and VoLTE, oh my....

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
In summary, our provider, Consumer Cellular, is an MVNO that uses both the AT&T and Verizon networks, depending on location. Yesterday, she received an e-mail from CC urging her to upgrade her iPhone 5S because it will no longer work with CC after they eliminate 3G service early next year. My wife researches online and figures that the 5S will still work, but that she'll need to upgrade to a newer phone once she moves her SIM card over.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
TL;DR Summary
Will my wife's iPhone 5S continue working with Consumer Cellular after they discontinue 3G service?
Our provider is Consumer Cellular, an MVNO that uses both the AT&T and Verizon networks, depending on location. Yesterday she received an e-mail from CC, urging her to upgrade her iPhone 5S because it will no longer work with CC after they eliminate 3G service early next year.

That puzzled me because I was pretty sure that the 5S is compatible with 4G technology. (It was my phone for several years before I upgraded to an iPhone XR about a year ago.)

After some online searches last night, here's my understanding...

Originally there was plain old 4G.

Then there was 4G LTE which improved data connections. The iPhone 5S came out during this period. There's an option in the settings to enable/disable LTE for data.

Then there was VoLTE (voice over LTE) which uses LTE for voice connections also. Apple introduced VoLTE in the iPhone 6, so the 5S does not have it. My current iPhone XR has an option in its settings to choose between LTE and 3G for voice and data together.

So my speculation is that Consumer Cellular's issue with the iPhone 5S is not with eliminating 3G per se, but instead with requiring 4G with VoLTE. Does this sound plausible?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Theres another reason to upgrade as the phone OS has stopped ipdating ie you can get new apps any youve boughten in the past are likely no longer downloadable for your OS.

This will leave the phone open to hacking...

jtbell said:
Then there was 4G LTE

LTE preceded 4G. It's actually release 8 of the 3G spec, and was almost 4G. It is entirely possible that your wife's phone will continue to work, and it's possible it won't.

She called up CC this morning and went ahead with the upgrade. $220 plus tax for a 2nd gen (2020) iPhone SE is a pretty good deal, considering that Apple sells it for $399.

And the 5S is getting long in the tooth. Apple doesn't support it with iOS upgrades any more, so it's stuck at iOS 12 (current version is iOS 14). But she's the kind of person who's reluctant to get rid of something that still works, which is great for our budget in general. :cool:

jedishrfu said:
Theres another reason to upgrade as the phone OS has stopped ipdating
iOS 12 does still get security updates. This reminded me to check, and sure enough, 12.4.9 was available. I'm installing it now.

We figure after she gets the new phone and moves the SIM card over, she can still use the old one on Wi-Fi as sort of an "iPad micro".

Last edited:
That bodes well for you too. If you keep working she'll be reluctant to give you up. I have the same contract with my wife.

Related to 3G and 4G and VoLTE, oh my....

What is the difference between 3G and 4G?

3G and 4G refer to different generations of mobile network technology. 3G (third generation) was introduced in the early 2000s and allowed for faster data transfer speeds compared to 2G. 4G (fourth generation) was introduced in the late 2000s and offers even faster data transfer speeds, as well as other improvements such as better network coverage and reduced latency.

What is VoLTE and how does it differ from regular voice calls?

VoLTE stands for Voice over LTE, and it refers to the technology that allows for voice calls to be transmitted over a 4G LTE network. This is different from regular voice calls which are transmitted over 2G or 3G networks. VoLTE offers better call quality, faster call set-up times, and the ability to use data and make calls simultaneously.

Do all phones support 3G, 4G, and VoLTE?

No, not all phones support these technologies. Older phones may only support 2G or 3G, while newer phones are more likely to support 4G and VoLTE. It is important to check the specifications of your phone to see which technologies it supports.

What are the benefits of using VoLTE?

There are several benefits of using VoLTE. As mentioned before, it offers better call quality, faster call set-up times, and the ability to use data and make calls simultaneously. Additionally, VoLTE can also help improve network coverage and reduce dropped calls.

How do I know if my phone is using VoLTE?

If your phone supports VoLTE and you are in an area with 4G LTE coverage, your phone will automatically switch to VoLTE for voice calls. You may also see a symbol or indicator on your phone indicating that you are using VoLTE. If you are unsure, you can check your phone's settings or contact your mobile service provider.